2015 Dodge Ram knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgydoge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Hi all.

I’m new to the Dodge world. I bought a 2015 Dodge Ram 6 months ago from my brother in law. I’m doing Reno’s on my house and needed a truck. My intentions were to sell it when I was done with the Reno’s. Wellllll, I’m kind of loving it and want to keep it. The kids love going in it as well. It’s making a knocking and tapping sound. Sounds like it’s coming from underneath. I’ve attached a link and you guys can hear it and maybe someone might now what it could be?

The lifters were done as well as the timing chain. The noise is low like that when In park. When I put it in drive it get just a tad louder. The truck drives perfectly but should I be concerned that this will turn into a big issue or it’s something that can be repaired easily by a mechanic? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check your exhaust manifold bolts. When the engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shields over the exhaust manifolds and see if they are loose.

Does it only happen when the engine is cold? warm? Does it subside at all?

OP
OP
D

Dodgydoge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Check your exhaust manifold bolts. When the engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shields over the exhaust manifolds and see if they are loose.

Does it only happen when the engine is cold? warm? Does it subside at all?
Hi EdGs.
Thank you for your reply. The noise never subsides. Just stays the same. Just very odd when in park you can hear it. Once in drive or reverse, it gets a tad louder. The truck drives great though.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an exhaust leak, but that being said, that is just Internet Guessnosis at it's best. Find a friend who is competent or a good garage and have professionally checked. What EdGs said may be an issue always.

OP
OP
D

Dodgydoge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Sounds like an exhaust leak, but that being said, that is just Internet Guessnosis at it's best. Find a friend who is competent or a good garage and have professionally checked. What EdGs said may be an issue always.
Thank you.

I will be taking it to a mechanic next week. Get a diagnosis

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thought. If just an exhaust leak U can run till U wanna fix, just annoying sound. If something more major, U sure as heck not wanna be running on one of those long stretches of road U have up there and U and the elk/moose/snow piles (lol), be the only ones out there and something cut loose, just a saying.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Order one of the 12 dollar stethoscopes for autos off amazon. You can isolate where the sound is coming from pretty quick by touching the rod to the valve covers, manifolds, transmission housing, transfer case housing etc. If it makes the noise in park it should be pretty easy to find. My bet is exhaust leak.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like an exhaust manifold leak, check for loose heat shields both sides.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be many things hard to say over vid sometimes but to me almost kind of sounds like wrist pin/piston slap/piston skirt kind of thing lol.