2015 Radio Died during dealer update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Killingbugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004hemi
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As part of the deal on my purchase of a used 2015. The GPS was to be updated by the local CDJR dealer
In the process of doing the update the radio (8.4AN) locked up and will not restart.
I am told the radio will have to be replaced:mad:

Radio is $703 (Z8238619AL) and $170 for install and programming. What the Hell!!!

I guess its that are drive around with out GPS or tones...........

Anyone else have this issue??

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So, if you bought that truck from them,(on the understanding they would update it for you )with a working radio and now it doesn’t, couldn’t you ask them to contribute something? Or maybe you can get a second hand one they can install for you?
I know it’s not really their fault as such but……..

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
From what I just read on the FCA site, you cant get a map update unless the radios software is up to date as well. Looking thru various threads here on this site, it seems as if these radio's are very finicky as to whether they take an update or not. I would think the dealer would be on the hook to fix it, or least give you a killer deal on the replacement.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
As part of the deal on my purchase of a used 2015. The GPS was to be updated by the local CDJR dealer
In the process of doing the update the radio (8.4AN) locked up and will not restart.

Radio is $703 (Z8238619AL) and $170 for install and programming. What the Hell!!!

So, the Dealer agreed to do the upgrade, the Dealer's Service department bricked your radio during the upgrade and now they want you to pay for a replacement radio? Sounds like there's a little room for negotiation there.

OP
OP
K

Killingbugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004hemi
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer I bought the truck from took it to a CDJR dealer to get the GPS to work. (It showed the vehicle in the middle of a field in northern Missouri.)

The CDJR dealer tried a reset then an update and the radio locked up. No radio. No GPS. Nothing!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

They broke it they buy it. In no world would I ever pay the dealer for further breaking my vehicle especially if fixing it was a condition of sale. Any western court would likely agree with you too. I don't often yell, but when I do it's for things like this and I guarantee every customer in the auto-mall would know what I think of their "service".