2015 ram 1500 4x4 steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Rivera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.8l V8
Recently I was driving on the freeway and noticed it was hard to steer. Found that when I got home the problem went away. Took to the dealer and they could not duplicate issue or find a problem. Now my truck is doing this all the time and is extremely hard to turn. I replaced the entire steering rack that has the electric pump on it and the problem is still there. I'm thinking steering shaft? Steering column? and If so the shaft which part do you think it could be? Having trouble finding answers and do not wanna buy anymore wrong parts. Thank you

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2016 Sport and had this issue back in 2018 while on my way to work. The power steering failed intermittently twice....once on the highway for about 5 minutes and then again on a regular roadway for a couple of minutes.

Both times the malfunction indicator came on that says "Service Power Steering" then it went off and a little red steering wheel indicator on the dash flashed until the power steering kicked back in.

The dealership advised they've seen this happen to only one other Ram and replacing the electric power steering rack resolved the problem.

They ordered the part in and got me to bring the truck in for the day and replaced the rack. Knock on wood I haven't had the problem since.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2016-ram-1500-electric-power-steering.119651/#post-1734551

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my old reliable non E power steering never a issue lol i see more and more problems lately with the new steering these rams have.

TheSage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 Ram 1500 5.7 as of yesterday I have no power steering. I've been told twice by different dealerships that the entire rack & pinion would need to be changed. They diagnosed based on a phone conversation. I dont have 2200 dollars for the part. So I have been checking the system physically as there is zero info in the owner's manual. I have not been able to find any fuse or control module associated with the electronic power steering does the system have anything that may be the culprit at a price less than $20. This forum post is the closest to an answer to my issue so please help if you have any ideas. Thank you

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Locate the ujoint on the steering shaft and lubricate it very well .

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You would think if the truck is equipped with EPS, the dash should light up with warnings if the problem is with the electrical portion of the steering.

I would think if the problem was with the steering shaft, ball joints or anything associated with the front knuckles, you'd hear or feel that first.

I'd try to get the front end off the ground and work the wheel back/forth to see if you can feel or hear something.

I hate the concept of EPS vs what we're used to with hydraulic rack/pinion, but unfortunately EPS is here to stay.

BeachRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 1500 5.7 ... Replaced the ball joints twice, tie rod ends twice, cv axles, steering shaft u joint and sway bar end links+bushings before I tried the rack. Fortunately or unfortunately that's what it ended up being.

Last edited: