2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Squeaking at Slow Speeds/Slighty turned right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks!

I just purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I absolutely love the truck. It has 33,000 miles. I've had it for four days now.

On the second day of driving it, I heard a squeak. I couldn't replicate it on that specific drive. The next day I set out on a mission to find out what was causing the squeak is or at least replicate it.

To make a long story short I discovered when I am coasting at around 10 - 15 mph and when the wheel is either exactly straight but mostly when it is slightly turned to the right it squeaks. It doesn't matter if it hits a bump or changes elevation. It is EXTREMELY embarrassing rolling up to a red light or going through town at a slow speed. :eek:

Tomorrow morning it is going back to the dealership and being checked out and will be replaced at no charge due to the few warranties the truck has. But I figured i'd start a thread to see if anyone can predict the issue and solve it for future reference. Hopefully tomorrow I should have an answer on what the cause is. I will be posting a Youtube video of the squeaking shortly!

Thanks in advanced and I am very happy and proud to be apart of RAMFORUM finally.:)

Rich

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please let us know what you find out! Mine has pretty much the same noise. To me, it sounds like washer clanging together or something rather than a squeak, but I hear it mainly at slow speeds and any little bump or uneven spot in the pavement will make it make that noise. Mine is a 2014 with a 74,000 miles that I purchased back in March. Weird thing is, my 1998 Chevy Silverado that I sold before I bought the truck made the exact same noise. Yours isn't leveled with spring spacers by chance, is it? I don't know if that would contribute to the noise or not, but my chevy was leveled with spring spacers, and this Ram was leveled by the previous owner with spacers as well.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hi folks!

I just purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I absolutely love the truck. It has 33,000 miles. I've had it for four days now.

On the second day of driving it, I heard a squeak. I couldn't replicate it on that specific drive. The next day I set out on a mission to find out what was causing the squeak is or at least replicate it.

To make a long story short I discovered when I am coasting at around 10 - 15 mph and when the wheel is either exactly straight but mostly when it is slightly turned to the right it squeaks. It doesn't matter if it hits a bump or changes elevation. It is EXTREMELY embarrassing rolling up to a red light or going through town at a slow speed. :eek:

Tomorrow morning it is going back to the dealership and being checked out and will be replaced at no charge due to the few warranties the truck has. But I figured i'd start a thread to see if anyone can predict the issue and solve it for future reference. Hopefully tomorrow I should have an answer on what the cause is. I will be posting a Youtube video of the squeaking shortly!

Thanks in advanced and I am very happy and proud to be apart of RAMFORUM finally.:)

Rich

Welcome Aboard

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Dust shields??
How are the brakes?

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please let us know what you find out! Mine has pretty much the same noise. To me, it sounds like washer clanging together or something rather than a squeak, but I hear it mainly at slow speeds and any little bump or uneven spot in the pavement will make it make that noise. Mine is a 2014 with a 74,000 miles that I purchased back in March. Weird thing is, my 1998 Chevy Silverado that I sold before I bought the truck made the exact same noise. Yours isn't leveled with spring spacers by chance, is it? I don't know if that would contribute to the noise or not, but my chevy was leveled with spring spacers, and this Ram was leveled by the previous owner with spacers as well.

I don't know exactly what spring spacers are :oops:. Everything is 100% stock though if spring spacers are after market!

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dust shields??
How are the brakes?

Brakes are fine. Noise still occurs when pressing on the brakes so I pretty much wrote off brakes as a no for the cause.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Brakes are fine. Noise still occurs when pressing on the brakes so I pretty much wrote off brakes as a no for the cause.

Most likely the dust shields/backing plate.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
sounds like a bushing, try to spray some lube on one at a time then test it till you find the culprit.

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most likely the dust shields/backing plate.

Really? Why would the direction you are steering affect your dust shield? *Serious Question*. I don't have much experience underneath a vehicle except Exhaust/Regular Oil Maintenance.

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like a bushing, try to spray some lube on one at a time then test it till you find the culprit.

I wouldn't know what I'm aiming for! :confused:. Maybe they'll replace the bushings instead of greasing them?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Really? Why would the direction you are steering affect your dust shield? *Serious Question*. I don't have much experience underneath a vehicle except Exhaust/Regular Oil Maintenance.
The only thing I can think that will cause a fixed dust shield to make noise is that it’s a little bent and just touching something. Otherwise it’s probably a couple noisy bushings.

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I can think that will cause a fixed dust shield to make noise is that it’s a little bent and just touching something. Otherwise it’s probably a couple noisy bushings.

A noisy bushing i'd assume warrants a complete replacement right?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
A noisy bushing i'd assume warrants a complete replacement right?
Those are considered wearable parts so I’m not sure what they will do, try it and if they say it’s not covered then goes to a reputable indie shop. Or diy.

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got home from the dealership. Last night my saleswoman texted me saying the truck was ready to go. She told me that they replaced the brake pads? I was very skeptical. I was thinking to myself, i'm just going to have to take it for a test drive and bring it right back in because the noise would still be there.

Turns out on the test drive the noise was no longer there. Drove it home, haven't heard the noise.

They gave me brand new brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. Although the major problem was fixed, I heard once a TINY and short squeak when I hit a stop sign. Maybe it was my brain playing tricks on me. I would've rather seen the dealership replace the rotors just to be rid of the problem 100%.

I still don't understand how turning the wheel slightly to the right would cause the brakes to do this but hey, I guess I was wrong o_O.

I'll keep you folks updated. I have a feeling this isn't over yet.

OP
OP
M

Monumental176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I knew it. ITS BACK.

After the first squealing issue they replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors and the major squeak went away..... Now after driving it for a few days a new squeak has developed. And this one happens over bumps. I can only imagine it has something to do with the first one and is part of the brake assembly. Let me know what you think!