2016 laramie power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I just bought a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon. I want to lift it and do exhaust and tires. I am curious what lift everyone preferred. I know you have to buy the specific lift for the Power Wagon. i like the Rough Country 4.5" lift option. I don't want to spend huge money on BDS but I do love that lift. Has anyone installed the MBRP 4" dual cat back? I am just looking for some ideas all across the board.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, the MBRP is a popular option. Great sound, nice and deep! Fitment is very good as well. Let me know if you would like a quote, just send me a message.

For the lift kit, I can not recommend anything from RC but I do know options are limited for the power wagon.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Thuren is the way of you can afford it

Attachments

• PXL_20220524_160623601~3.jpg
    PXL_20220524_160623601~3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 14

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the suspension almost everybody will jump on here and recommend Thuren or Carli. However you are limited to only about 1.5" - 2" lift with those components, which is equivalent to about 3" of lift on a regular Ram 2500. To be honest I've followed PW specific pages on the internet and Facebook for years and everybody trashes on the RC lift kits, but of all the people who trash on them I don't think any of them actually had the lifts or any real-world experience with them. It was all the "somebody else said that RC was junk so I'm just repeating what they said". Check out the IWRocker YouTube channel as I believe he had the RC kit on his and actually used it off-road. Maybe the RC kit is junk and will cause the truck to explode and kill a bus full of nuns....just have never seen any actual examples from people with the kit that there are issues..........

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your only picking up groceries just put steel pucks on top the springs. cheap and easy

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I just bought a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon. I want to lift it and do exhaust and tires. I am curious what lift everyone preferred. I know you have to buy the specific lift for the Power Wagon. i like the Rough Country 4.5" lift option. I don't want to spend huge money on BDS but I do love that lift. Has anyone installed the MBRP 4" dual cat back? I am just looking for some ideas all across the board.
35” tires will fit without a lift. 4.5” lift is pretty high if you really off road. That really moves your center of gravity. 2” lift with the right offset, will allow 37” tires to fit.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your only picking up groceries just put steel pucks on top the springs. cheap and easy
Even though Facebook experts will throw a fit if you mention spring spacers on a PW, I'm sure there are a lot on the road with them. Several years ago there was a guy with a popular YouTube channel who ran a PW with spacers on the front and 37's for a few years and regularly pulled trailers (it wasn't a PW specific channel, but the truck was shown a lot) and he never mentioned any issues. To be honest I don't see how the typical 1.5"-2" front coil spacers would be any different on a PW versus any of the other thousands of Ram 2500's with spacers running around.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
35” tires will fit without a lift. 4.5” lift is pretty high if you really off road. That really moves your center of gravity. 2” lift with the right offset, will allow 37” tires to fit.
A 4.5" lift on these trucks really isn't that tall nor will cause any major issues with the center of gravity. I've been into trailriding and rockcrawling for 20 years and ran a fullsize K5 Blazer that had a 4" lift and 40" tires that was considered a really low lift 10 years ago. Keep in mind that people were putting 12" lifts on fullsize trucks to handle that size tires and where this whole too much lift and high center gravity originates from. Used to be a guy showed up with a 12" and everybody talked about how it was too tall and would tip over and a 4" lift was really short. Now you have the inverse "big fish story" going on where people say a 4" lift is too tall.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
A 4.5" lift on these trucks really isn't that tall nor will cause any major issues with the center of gravity. I've been into trailriding and rockcrawling for 20 years and ran a fullsize K5 Blazer that had a 4" lift and 40" tires that was considered a really low lift 10 years ago. Keep in mind that people were putting 12" lifts on fullsize trucks to handle that size tires and where this whole too much lift and high center gravity originates from. Used to be a guy showed up with a 12" and everybody talked about how it was too tall and would tip over and a 4" lift was really short. Now you have the inverse "big fish story" going on where people say a 4" lift is too tall.
Fo me, the shortest lift to accommodate the tire size I want. Not an inch taller. I clear the garage by 1/2 inch on my 35s.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even though Facebook experts will throw a fit if you mention spring spacers on a PW, I'm sure there are a lot on the road with them. Several years ago there was a guy with a popular YouTube channel who ran a PW with spacers on the front and 37's for a few years and regularly pulled trailers (it wasn't a PW specific channel, but the truck was shown a lot) and he never mentioned any issues. To be honest I don't see how the typical 1.5"-2" front coil spacers would be any different on a PW versus any of the other thousands of Ram 2500's with spacers running around.
When i bought my ‘16 power wagon laramie new 7 years ago i quickly slapped a 1.5” leveling spacer on the front to get the truck leveled before i finally figured out which leveling springs i wanted to go with. Well, 72k miles later im still running the stock coils and shocks with the spacer lol. It has worked well for me with absolutely no issues. And i flog the truck every summer in the sand dunes and have had oodles of bottoming out fun. But crazy jerry is right, i have absolutely nonissues getting my groceries either.

The one thing i didnt do, though, was use the shock extenders that came with the kit. Because when i was taking calculations, it seemed that without bumpstop drops the shocks would end up bottoming out before the bumpstops did. Obviously not desirable.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the thing is, unless you are running 38’s or bigger and are scared to do a little trimming, anything over a few inches on a power wagon is not needed. Unless you are just looking for that super tall truck look (not knocking…to each their own). And, most 6” kits for a 3/4 ton ram (or 4.5” kits for a power wagon) come with transfer case indexing rings to clock the case because the output is too high for the factory driveline. No thanks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a pic i took of my exact truck and it has a 4” power wagon bds lift with 37’s. Too tall imo. I would rather it be a a few inches shorter and have the tires tucked in under the flares more. But thats all personal preference.

C249AB90-4A86-4E5A-BF33-FE9827130135.jpeg

841426C6-C523-4C78-B036-CC69FA10A8FC.jpeg

92BA85C2-20CC-4839-BAE2-64AF608CDA1A.jpeg

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When it comes to car modifications, the best advice I can give is "buy once, cry once".

I have no personal experience installing a rough country lifts but I am told the none of the shops in my town will install rough country lifts. I was a mechanic for 5 years and I have seen what happens long term with cheap lifts. Suspension components wear out at a constant rate and in come cases they can be aligned properly anymore. Most of that is on IFS trucks so take it with a grain of salt.

If your goal is to fit bigger tires, then you don't need 4.5" lift. AEV can fit 42" or 40" tires with a 3 inch lift over a stock 2500 and moving the front axle forward an inch. A power wagon can fit 37" with 0"-1" lift no problem. If your goal is to have a tall tuck for the looks and on the cheap then buy all means buy from rough country. If you care about ride quality and reliability then you should probably look into something else.

Me personally I will either fork over the cash to get a Carli system one day or never lift it. Il

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
But the thing is, unless you are running 38’s or bigger and are scared to do a little trimming, anything over a few inches on a power wagon is not needed. Unless you are just looking for that super tall truck look (not knocking…to each their own). And, most 6” kits for a 3/4 ton ram (or 4.5” kits for a power wagon) come with transfer case indexing rings to clock the case because the output is too high for the factory driveline. No thanks.
Agreed!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Gray one is on AT 35s with no lift. And the red one is on MT 37s with a 1.5 wheel spacer. Light trimming

Attachments

• 855D74ED-DC8F-437D-BE1F-3014398B1A4B.jpeg
    855D74ED-DC8F-437D-BE1F-3014398B1A4B.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 832DD741-F8C3-4097-8AEB-4A8315711617.jpeg
    832DD741-F8C3-4097-8AEB-4A8315711617.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 15

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe check out the proryde leveling kit if leveling is an option. Thinking of doing this setup myself If I end up leveling it.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fo me, the shortest lift to accommodate the tire size I want. Not an inch taller. I clear the garage by 1/2 inch on my 35s.

I won't argue with either of the above. Personally run 1.5" Thuren front coils on 37x13.50R17's and it took quite a bit of metal cutting on the inside of the fenders to reasonably clear, but can still rub lightly when off-road with the swaybar unhooked. I run 40's with a 4" lift on my off-road truck that could only fit 32" tires stock. That truck has major fender trimming to get those tires to fit, so I'm well versed on low lifts to fit big tires. Again, only saying that 4.5" of lift on a 2500 Ram isn't exactly huge compared to what people were doing not too long ago.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Stock 16PW with 35's and I almost need a trampoline to get in. Can't imagine 4" more...Old guy with titanium knees. LOL:oops: