2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 3.6 - metallic squeal when accelerating (random) - help diagnose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeym0929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey everyone! This is my first post. I bought a 2016 RAM 1500 crew cab with a 3.6 Pentastar. Has been a great truck but I started noticing this noise when driving. It sounds like a metallic squeal noise. I can’t get it to do it when it’s parked but when the truck is in motion that’s when it happens. It doesn’t happen when I start it either. After I start it and start going down the road it takes a min or two and then this noise happens for the rest of the ride.

here are the things I’ve already replaced:

serpentine belt

belt tensioner

water pump

idler pulley

harmonic balancer

My buddy thought it might be an exhaust leak but he took a quick look underneath and didn’t notice anything that stood out.

my mechanic has even had a hard time diagnosing it. So that’s when I started doing the above on my own.

I know it’s not the dust cover behind the rotors as I checked all of them.

here is the video of the noise:

any feedback is much appreciated!

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
You, umm, made sure you didn't leave the e-brake engaged, yes?

(what? I know the rest of you slobs are thinking it too...)

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wheel bearings ? Warped rotor rubbing ? Driveshaft joints ? Rear end low on oil ? Maybe the person before you tried to change the gear oil and messe it up ? Or even the dealer....

I know mine had a weird metallic sound and I also posted in YouTube. Seems to only happen when it’s warm out tho. Mine is also under the hood

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

OP
OP
J

joeym0929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well got an update. This may not be related but a leak started under the transmission oil pan. It appears to be a dark brown color. I was going to just replace the seal until I noticed the color. This truck was used and most likely is the original fluid so it will need to be changed. I got the parts on the way and will have an update after everything is done.

Thanks for everyone who replied so far on the thread. I appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is your parking brake cable sagging?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

joeym0929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Another update: so turns out my dealer didn’t have it In the system that I had a Powertrain warranty but got that straightened out. The leak ended up being oil from the oil cooler. They replaced the entire unit. That’s fixed but now the squeal is still there. They are taking a further look to at least diagnose what it is. Hopefully it will be covered. I will post an update when I hear back. Thanks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So they figured out what was causing it. It was a bracket on the catalytic converter so they replaced the whole thing. I should be able to pick it up this week and I will test it.

Hopefully that's it, but don't be surprised if that's not. Random noise is hard to find.

OP
OP
J

joeym0929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Finally got it back. It’s fixed. They replaced the rocker arms in the engine to get rid of the dreaded ticking noise and a piece near the catalytic converter was broken off which was causing the grinding/squealing noise so they replaced the whole part. Luckily all of this was covered under warranty. Truck is super quiet now and runs smooth. Thank you all for your help!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Finally got it back. It’s fixed. They replaced the rocker arms in the engine to get rid of the dreaded ticking noise and a piece near the catalytic converter was broken off which was causing the grinding/squealing noise so they replaced the whole part. Luckily all of this was covered under warranty. Truck is super quiet now and runs smooth. Thank you all for your help!

So glad to hear this update, @joeym0929! If for any reason you ever need to work with your dealer again, our team is always just a private message away to provide an additional layer of support.

Mark
RamCares

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey everyone! This is my first post. I bought a 2016 RAM 1500 crew cab with a 3.6 Pentastar. Has been a great truck but I started noticing this noise when driving. It sounds like a metallic squeal noise. I can’t get it to do it when it’s parked but when the truck is in motion that’s when it happens. It doesn’t happen when I start it either. After I start it and start going down the road it takes a min or two and then this noise happens for the rest of the ride.

here are the things I’ve already replaced:

serpentine belt

belt tensioner

water pump

idler pulley

harmonic balancer

My buddy thought it might be an exhaust leak but he took a quick look underneath and didn’t notice anything that stood out.

my mechanic has even had a hard time diagnosing it. So that’s when I started doing the above on my own.

I know it’s not the dust cover behind the rotors as I checked all of them.

here is the video of the noise:

any feedback is much appreciated!

My 2013 made this exact noise a few times because my rear brakes were completely shot. I’m happy you fixed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Nice!!!!

Too be honest I loved the sound of my 3.6. Has this nice tone in the cab.

Enjoy the truck now!

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?