2016 Ram gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just got a 2016 Ram 1500 hemi this spring with the 8 speed transmission. How accurate is the mileage on the computer? It is showing 21-23 mpg on average. Seems crazy high. The eco symbol comes on while cruising down the road but even at 70mph. My last truck was an 06 hemi and I got 17mpg in the summer if I tried to lay off the gas. The last time I fueled up I calculated the actual miles vs gas I put in. It showed 20.8 while the computer showed 22. Still exceptional for a full size pickup.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Mine is super accurate. +-1 mpg when manually calculated. I'm usually 21-24mpg average with a tune headers muffler delete cold air intake and 305-55r20. So I'm super happy with that.

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just got a 2016 Ram 1500 hemi this spring with the 8 speed transmission. How accurate is the mileage on the computer? It is showing 21-23 mpg on average. Seems crazy high. The eco symbol comes on while cruising down the road but even at 70mph. My last truck was an 06 hemi and I got 17mpg in the summer if I tried to lay off the gas. The last time I fueled up I calculated the actual miles vs gas I put in. It showed 20.8 while the computer showed 22. Still exceptional for a full size pickup.
I averaged 18mpg when I went to Alabama from Texas and back. Average speed was around 75mph. Made it in 11 hours. And that's on 35s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I should have added that everything to my knowledge is stock. Down to the cheap SRA tires. I bought this truck used with 27000 miles on it. Cant beat this mileage for a 5.7! I'm probably going to ruin it next week when I put on 10 ply nitto all terrain tires. I imagine heavier tires will be rougher ride, louder, and hurt gas mileage

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was sipping lots of gas even in stock trim. I was never able to get better than 16-17 at 70-75mph. Now days after mods is 13-14. That's good in my book considering my Jeep Wrangler unlimited modded was 12-13 mpg with the V6 engine. The truck is way heavier and has the Hemi so I have no complaints, I have the 4cyl crap in my tune disabled aside from other things I've configured on my own in my street tune, so she runs in full 8 cyl permanently :)

Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At a steady 70MPH on highway I get about 20 hand calculated which is only about 2 less then dash says.

You will get the ego light at almost any speed long as you are being gentle. It's one of those things RAM did to make the driver feel better. ;)

ScopesNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
My first post. Late to The Ram game . I just bought a 2016 2500 diesel pusher. Drove it over 1200 miles home from Dallas . My math does not match what the AVG mileage meter says on the dash. It seems off buy about 2 MPG. When I picked the truck up it was reading around 10 mpg. This number kept getting better as I drove home. The dash avg says 24.3 and my math says 22.5 I'm not heavy footed ( gentle on starts and cost to stops a tad ) , but did run about 70 to 75 the entire trip. I really find it hard to believe I'm getting 24 or even 22 mpg out of the truck. Is it possible it can get this kind of mileage? I have never owned a truck in over 40 years that could get that kind of mileage.

Bulldawg59

Retired USN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't really had mine on the highway but my 2016 gets about 15.8 in the city. That's hand calculation.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I just drove my 2016 ram crew cab from Great Falls Montana to Nashville and back.

Completely stock truck, 8 speed, 5.7 hemi, 3.21s. Cooper AT3s. I averaged 19.3 hand calculated MPG.

Ran in 8 the entire way, no mds, ran as much real gas as I could find, 91 octane.

I had approx 800 lbs in the bed, along with 2 other people in the truck with me.

I was happy with that outcome.

My 2011 truck which I just put iridum plugs in, replaced the copper, has been putting up exception numbers since the plug change. Ive seen a 23.4 on one tank that was 100% freeway, a couple of tanks produced 22s that included some around town driving. This is with 3.55s and no mds. So I'm fairly pleased with this outcome as well.

My Evic in my 2011 now routinely reads over 600 in the DTE column which is amazing for a full sized truck

Jim Basham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a 2016 1500 two weeks ago and I'm seeing about 17 mpg which seems great for the type of driving I do. It was running closer to 17.5 the first week I had it but since I put a Flowmaster exhaust on it, it's dropped a little bit . . . wonder why!

OP
OP
S

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just drove my 2016 ram crew cab from Great Falls Montana to Nashville and back.

Completely stock truck, 8 speed, 5.7 hemi, 3.21s. Cooper AT3s. I averaged 19.3 hand calculated MPG.

Ran in 8 the entire way, no mds, ran as much real gas as I could find, 91 octane.

I had approx 800 lbs in the bed, along with 2 other people in the truck with me.

I was happy with that outcome.

My 2011 truck which I just put iridum plugs in, replaced the copper, has been putting up exception numbers since the plug change. Ive seen a 23.4 on one tank that was 100% freeway, a couple of tanks produced 22s that included some around town driving. This is with 3.55s and no mds. So I'm fairly pleased with this outcome as well.

My Evic in my 2011 now routinely reads over 600 in the DTE column which is amazing for a full sized truck
I have a SLT so features may vary. But how do you know what gear you're in without counting them? I wish mine had a display.

Also, how do I know what gear ratio I have? Maybe a dumb question.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
2017 1500 crew cab 5.7L stock

89 or higher octane

11-12.5 mpg city hand calculated many times

19.4 mpg flat highway

OP
OP
S

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also, I don't know what plugs or any modifications have been made since I bought the truck used.

I had the dealer do my first oil change. Most will cringe when they hear that I'm sure. They said they use a synthetic blend. Also, I fill up with 87 octane gas. Another cringeworthy statement to some.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
OP
OP
S

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In addition when you use the +/- on your control s the gear if so enabled shows in the evic
I'm new to those controls. Does that override the auto transmission so once you hit the gear +/- it will stay in that gear until you hit +/- to another gear? What I'm saying is I don't want to change gears only to see what gear I'm in

ScopesNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

Ive seen a 23.4 on one tank that was 100% freeway, a couple of tanks produced 22s that included some around town driving. This is with 3.55s and no mds. So I'm fairly pleased with this outcome as well.

Mine is all stock and has a cover on the back. It was bought for towing our camper.
From what I have read so far I guess these trucks can get low 20's mileage. Which is a great surprise to me as I had not expected it to be that good. Who'd of thunk a 3/4 ton truck could get such mileage. I sure didn't.
I'm one happy camper . :)

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm new to those controls. Does that override the auto transmission so once you hit the gear +/- it will stay in that gear until you hit +/- to another gear? What I'm saying is I don't want to change gears only to see what gear I'm in

No. When I use the +/÷ buttons I run it up to 8 and leave it there. Transmission operates as normal, upshifts and downshifts as needed but by selecting 8th gear ot overrides the MDS system so your truck will not go into 4 cyl mode.
I do that because I bought the truck with a V8 and dont like the sound and feel of 4 cyl mode.
For me, whatever the added mileage of 4 cylinder mode gives just isnt worth the feel

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged

Once you are in drive, push the - and it will show you the gear you are in push the + till it says 8. The transmission will work as designed except the mds system will not turn on. You will have the power of all 8 cylinders and it should not drop into 4 cylinder mode.

I have found by doing this my mileage actually goes up not down

The drawback is you have to do this every time you start the truck unless you get a tuner to turn it off. Which is another expense

OP
OP
S

ScheiRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I realize these systems have been around a while and engineered to deactivate 4 cylinders. However, I've always thought that cant be good on the engine to kick off and on like that. Plus, wouldn't those 4 cylinders wear at a much higher rate than the other 4?? Makes sense in my head

If I hit the '-' button, it will show what gear but not override MDS. But does it show the gear change as the transmission shifts?

Also, to your comment on fuel mileage being worse with MDS on and better using all 8 cylinders. I'm sure there are alot of factors to prove/disprove that claim. I'm assuming the momentum of all 8 cylinders moving the weight of the vehicle would be more efficient than just 4 cylinders burning gas at higher rpm. But outside temp, wind speed direction, weight in the vehicle, (and for sarcastic purposes, the gravitational pull of the earth *haha*), the quality of fuel, tire pressure, age of engine, etc... many many factors could affect mileage that I'm not convinced which mode (MDS on or off) is more fuel efficient. Not trying to argue the idea. But I'm not convinced enough to disable MDS only for fuel consumption purposes