2016 Rebel is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dotcomdewd

dotcomdewd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the 8 speed trans, did you try the Manual Park Release Pull Strap? It is under the panel just above the parking brake release.
ca77f370ac7d1d827e805c1335e9e0a7.jpg

I did not know about that. Hopefully i will never need to use that knowledge in the future but if i do, now i know.

torndecision

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the 8 speed trans, did you try the Manual Park Release Pull Strap? It is under the panel just above the parking brake release.
ca77f370ac7d1d827e805c1335e9e0a7.jpg

So if I need to put truck in neutral if truck is dead, I pull that and the rotary shifter will switch to neutral?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So if I need to put truck in neutral if truck is dead, I pull that and the rotary shifter will switch to neutral?
I don't think anything changes on the rotary shifter as it is just an electric switch, it is a manual release of the parking pawl in the transmission.
There is a section in the owners manual exactly how to "disengage" it.
d20a47f553b6238ca8793067a70d0b65.png
708e07d2fdd777b551a8dcc1780955da.jpg

OP
OP
dotcomdewd

dotcomdewd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**UPDATE** I spoke to the dealer this morning. They are guessing it "dropped a valve" and they are pulling the heads today to get proof / pictures to send to Chrysler. They said I will need a "swing engine" which if I understand is just a new engine with accessories. He said Chrysler will want this engine back to see what's going on.

Overall I have to say I'm a little impressed. Besides the rental car challenge, everyone seems really interested in what's going on and with RamCares reaching out to me on here, I can't say I made a bad choice in vehicle. I just think I had a setback and will get past this and have an awesome truck in q couple weeks.

I will update again when something is definitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
**UPDATE** I spoke to the dealer this morning. They are guessing it "dropped a valve" and they are pulling the heads today to get proof / pictures to send to Chrysler. They said I will need a "swing engine" which if I understand is just a new engine with accessories. He said Chrysler will want this engine back to see what's going on.

Overall I have to say I'm a little impressed. Besides the rental car challenge, everyone seems really interested in what's going on and with RamCares reaching out to me on here, I can't say I made a bad choice in vehicle. I just think I had a setback and will get past this and have an awesome truck in q couple weeks.

I will update again when something is definitive.

Glad to hear the wheels are turning to get it resolved. Nobody wants to be "that guy" when stuff likes this happens but at least it appears to be moving in a positive direction.

OP
OP
dotcomdewd

dotcomdewd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's official. A valve dropped into cylinder #5 and the piston crushed it. Entire engine needs to be replaced as well as the starter (burned up trying to turn over the motor) and a few other things. According to the dealer the motor is on order and coming from Michigan by freight.

I am not going to push for a new truck as i love this truck and sometimes things happen. At least they are willing to fix it and do it quick. The only thing i am going to ask for is an extended warranty because i am terrified of what else could happen at this point.

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and support everyone :happy107:

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow sucks but it's good to hear they will fix it. Extended warranty isn't a bad idea either. I'm thinking about getting it on my truck. When I had my civic si (2008) I got it and it came in handy. The block somehow got a crack and was leaking coolant at around 60,000 miles and they fixed it with a loaner and no hassle.

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must be a Granite Rebel thing. My buddies truck (2016 Rebel, Granite Crystal Metallic) Had a lifter collapse causing a very bad tick. They replaced the lifter and all seems to be good.

TBaganATX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, that sucks completely! I would tell them to throw in 2 new tires from the locking up and be dragged. I had that happen 1 time on another truck. When i was driving it had a vibration on them.

Not to mention the warranty... imo...

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

OP
OP
dotcomdewd

dotcomdewd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are some pics of the damage. I'm still waiting for the engine to come in.

f09e4bc1b6ce4058d139f812ad3f31cd.jpg

ca0564457875e4aee733f7aa8b21b8b1.jpg

e99ef05f1def6ab128b66354e68e11cf.jpg

7ada7440425f7889124e23cf20912eb8.jpg

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, that is nasty.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep looks real bad

OP
OP
dotcomdewd

dotcomdewd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I got the truck back late tonight. Everything seems ok at this point. It took about two weeks from breakdown to new motor. I guess it could have been a lot longer.

I want to thank "RamCares" from the forum. They contacted me the day after I posted the Initial problem and they helped escalate and speed up the entire process. This could have gone really wrong and a totally different way. Although very inconvenient I still have faith in the brand, the service and the customer support and I plan on enjoying this truck for many years to come.

Thank you all who tried to contribute and listen to me :)

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for posting all the way threw your ordeal. Most the time you only see the bad and the good never gets followed threw. Makes me feel better about my choice.

To add to this a friend of mine had the rear driver side axle that was not strength hardened from the factory. When he took his truck in they replaced the whole rearend Instead of just the axle. He was making a long trip home when it started and they mentioned there was metal threw out the whole rearend.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Update: I got the truck back late tonight. Everything seems ok at this point. It took about two weeks from breakdown to new motor. I guess it could have been a lot longer.

I want to thank "RamCares" from the forum. They contacted me the day after I posted the Initial problem and they helped escalate and speed up the entire process. This could have gone really wrong and a totally different way. Although very inconvenient I still have faith in the brand, the service and the customer support and I plan on enjoying this truck for many years to come.

Thank you all who tried to contribute and listen to me :)

Glad it worked out for you....So Far...IMO...2 weeks to r&r a motor is waaaaaaay to long...Truck broke on the 17th....Motor finally shows up on the 26th...Job completed on the 29th...

LOL....It took my local dealer the same timeframe (2wks) to r&r a power steering hose....All my screaming to the minimum wage customer service people at FCA corporate, must have touched a nerve...The service mgr at that dealership is no longer there.........

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too late now, but there is a park pawl release lever behind a panel above e brake release. I heard about it by chance, but it should be better publicized. It releases the trans when you can't shift out of park. Tow driver should have known about it.

Handyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear it worked out in the end. I had a HD Ford in the past and participated in it's forum. There wasn't nearly the interest or help there.

Thanks for sharing this, and Ramcares, thanks for helping the process. The other forum I used to be on could use a person like you.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
thanks for the giving us the final outcome. Too often we don't hear the resolution. But I am curious, I wasn't able to tell from the pics, where the failure occurred. Was it a keeper failure? Did the valve head seperate from the stem? What was the initial failure which was the cause to the engine seizure?