2017 dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
only 28k on my truck so yea low miles, didnt drive it in like 5 weeks = dead battery, tried 2 diff chargers and they wouldnt even trickle charge it.

$200 bucks down the drain, I bet had I driven it in the once or twice in the last month it woulda been fine.

Also these damn trucks never sleep, random *** updates all the time talking to mothership fca

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your going to be parking the vehicle for multiple weeks at a time, it's a good idea to use a trickle charger.
It's doesn't matter about the number of miles on the battery as does the age along with how much time it spends partially discharged.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
only 28k on my truck so yea low miles, didnt drive it in like 5 weeks = dead battery, tried 2 diff chargers and they wouldnt even trickle charge it.

$200 bucks down the drain, I bet had I driven it in the once or twice in the last month it woulda been fine.

Also these damn trucks never sleep, random *** updates all the time talking to mothership fca
Check the manufacture date on your old battery if you still have it.FCA had a **** load of batteries with a 2014 manufacture date that they were still throwing in trucks up till either 17 or 18.You're original battery could be older then the truck if you were one of the unlucky owners

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
AGM battery doesn't discharge as fast as flooded wet cell lead-acid. Last longer to boot.

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Lol, I am not trying to make excuses, but batteries on avg last 4-6+ years. All my other vehicles I've had, I treat the same, I've been riding motorcycles for a loooong while now - quite often they go months without being started (various vehicles), my 2014 ram didn't have this issue, but for some reason my 2017 always seems to trying to connect to fca, 4 years now maybe even less as we get more connected year by year is the new service life on batteries?

Like I don't even recall having a fca app for the 2014 ram

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Motorcycles have AGM or Li-Ion batteries - trucks do not come from the factory with them due to their added cost. They are still shipped with conventional flooded wet cell lead-acid batteries, hence their short life of 4-5 years on AVERAGE, and lower tolerance of long idle periods.

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
lol i dunno what bikes your getting that are agm, ive owned almost every brand except bmw/ducati, regardless you ppl keep agreeing then trying to point out some abstract point.

Basically, ever since FCA put the new 8.4" that communicates to the mothership, it constantly drains the battery way more then previous Gen 4 rams

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
lol i dunno what bikes your getting that are agm, ive owned almost every brand except bmw/ducati, regardless you ppl keep agreeing then trying to point out some abstract point.

Basically, ever since FCA put the new 8.4" that communicates to the mothership, it constantly drains the battery way more then previous Gen 4 rams
Harley. AGM Battery.

Snowmobile is Ski-Doo. AGM Battery.

I also have the 8.4" screen in my Gen IV, since it's a loaded Laramie. Put in an Odyssey AGM and never looked back.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If your battery has acid caps on top you can use epsom salt and warm distilled water to bring it back. if it is sealed you are better off paying the 200. They have other battery renewers but epsom salt is just as good. Might want to replace with lead acid instead of wet agm battery.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did you try to trickle charge it back to life with? Was it an old or new charger? Many of these new-generation chargers won't bring up a totally dead battery. I've experienced that multiple times. If you used a smart charger, try again. Put an old-school transformer-style charger like a Schumacher from the 80's/90's on it at .3A for an hour and then bump it up to 2 or 3A for a few hours, then 10A (don't charge it higher than that) ....or you can put a smart charger on it once you gotten some real low charge into it. Another option is to hook to another 'good' battery with jumper cables for a while. Usually a smart charger will recognize it after ya have some charge in it.

Also check inside for fluid levels if there are removable caps.

I normally get about 9 years out of a 'good' quality Lead battery, like from Fleet Farm or Farm n Fleet (made by Johnson Controls). The NAPA battery in my skid steer will be 11 years old this fall. I know its on borrowed time, but I replace them when they die. The John Deere battery that was in my garden tractor was 13 yrs when it gave up the ghost. John Deere said batteries of that vintage commonly lasted that long. I never used a battery tender on it ever, and it would commonly go flat by spring (and always charged up).

Good luck!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
My battery lasted only 17k miles on my 2018 1500 ... bs if you ask me but I bought a new one ...This is the first time I have had a battery on a vehicle last less than 5 years ...

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If you only start it once a day, run it all day, never cut it off and never let it sit still, it's amazing how stuff lasts.

Plus when it does sit, it's on a tender.

Luck counts as they say...

Shane Allaire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You are correct, mine is a 2016 and I have a post on here about my experience with the truck (can bus) staying awake all night. It started like yours, intermittent but got to the point my dash cluster lights would stay on all night, every night if I didn't disconnect the battery. It has now been at the dealer for over 2 months while they scratch their heads. I replaced 2 batteries and the alternator, removed all aftermarket accessories (radar and obd2 wifi adapter) to see if that had anything to do with it, nope. It now has an AGM battery which it fully drains in approximately 16 hours. If I drive it daily it'll stay charged but if I go 1 day w/o driving it, it's dead. Some on here point to various electronic control modules that start to go bad but my dealership hasn't been able to pin point ANYTHING yet. My truck has approx. 120,000 miles and started doing the intermittent waking up about 5,000 miles ago. I'm afraid you'll be in the same boat as me soon enough.

themactep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
9422dc5s-960.jpg
After two dead batteries in three years, I have installed solar panels to top up the charge. Four years later, still on the same battery.

Gtonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hotd
Previously posted on travel trailer drain postBattery tender is awesome I started using it on my 03 ram 3500 Hotd(bought dec 02) was using 1 battery tender for both batteries ,around 07, well here it is19 years 8 months later ,and believe it or not still original batteries ,still going strong but was cranking a lil slow couple times In winter when we had really cold days, so not sure how much life is left in them but i will use them till they dont work, also use on my mower n tractor tractor battery 8 years old now old mower battery was good for around 15 years but the kid forgot to plug in battery tender for winter so it died

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep a battery tender on my truck since I don't drive it every day. A tender will monitor the battery and will not overcharge it.
Yup! My '18 Sport just hit 1900 miles, I suffered the "dead battery" twice before permanently mounting an 1100ma battery tender. Same factory battery, no more problems...

Russ