2017 dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You are correct, mine is a 2016 and I have a post on here about my experience with the truck (can bus) staying awake all night. It started like yours, intermittent but got to the point my dash cluster lights would stay on all night, every night if I didn't disconnect the battery. It has now been at the dealer for over 2 months while they scratch their heads. I replaced 2 batteries and the alternator, removed all aftermarket accessories (radar and obd2 wifi adapter) to see if that had anything to do with it, nope. It now has an AGM battery which it fully drains in approximately 16 hours. If I drive it daily it'll stay charged but if I go 1 day w/o driving it, it's dead. Some on here point to various electronic control modules that start to go bad but my dealership hasn't been able to pin point ANYTHING yet. My truck has approx. 120,000 miles and started doing the intermittent waking up about 5,000 miles ago. I'm afraid you'll be in the same boat as me soon enough.
If the dealer has no idea after 2 months then take it to a new dealer. The trick will be finding a dealer or shop that has a technician that knows how the system works and knows how to troubleshoot electronic problems.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
2017, 40K, 36 mo battery OE, 38 months dead as my a$$. Battery builders have it down to a science, almost set your watch by it. New battery 200+.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have AGM battery in my other car. I forgot about it until weeks later.
No luck getting it charged, even with a battery charger on the AGM setting.
My battery read 8 volts. I remember reading about using an good battery connected with jumper cables and using a conventional batter charger on 2 amp setting in an car magazine.
Tried that and brought the battery back to life.
Another post mentioned this. You can do a internet search and find the steps necessary to get it done. You gotta be careful to not get the battery too hot!
They mention that your battery needs to have about 10.5 volts to allow the battery charger to work.
If you go with a solar charger you want one that has overcharge protection. If your vehicle is in a garage you can still get some sun through the window or mount the panel outside.
Good luck

Ramtrucker12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really can't bit*h & moan after having to replace the OEM battery in my 2012 but, I might. Replaced the battery a week ago after going out to start my Ram after no use for 5 days. Yep, dead, dead, dead. So, thinking I got almost 10 years of use our of this battery, and pleased at the longevity, I went and bought a new one and had it installed. On the way home I noticed that the temperature gauge in the instrument panel was not lite, all others were fine. Blew it off and put the Ram to bed and didn't start it for about 4 days. Yep, jumped in the truck, tried to start it and it was completely DEAD! Had the alternator checked and it is fine. Think I've got a parasitic draw somewhere and wonder if there might be a short that has caused the light for the temp gauge to stop working and, could this be the culprit for the parasitic draw? Looking for feedback before I pull the rest of my hair out!

TiNy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 vvt
Guys after reading this thread i decided to look into changing my battery 2017 3.6 4x4 Crew Local NAPA says i need to put in an AGM battery .. my question is it worth the extra expense?( maybe just up charging me?) this truck is mostly 99% a pavement princess. would love to hear opinions or a lead to a thread where this was discussed

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's up to you. I have many vehicles and have owned several Optima Yellow-top batteries and still have a couple. I take care of them, they tended to last about the same age as a FLA battery in my region. But I also had two Yellow-tops that didn't make it 5 yrs (and I charge with a JCI battery charger too). And I move a batter tender around to keep them all charged up.

I buy the higher-range FLA batteries (meaning thicker plates and non-recycled materials) usually the Johnson Controls 'Platinum' variety at Farm & Barn stores (usuually the best deals) and generally get about 8 or 9 yrs out of them. About the same as the Yellow top's I've owned. And the FLA's cost between 1/2 or 1/3 as much (depending on application). And, the FLA's group size can be the 'right' size and generally 'fit' better in some of the larger battery compartments, like a Ram (other AGMs can be found larger size however). AGM square battery batteries are less expensive than Optima batteries.

Having said all that, I've stopped spending the premium for AGM batteries. Just wasn't seeing the payback. But AGMs, especially Optima's make great sense in certain environments and conditions -- I'm not knocking them. I esp like the Optima's that have both top and side mounts. But for DD use and in various specialty or classic cars, they don't really seem to last much longer.

Then again, depends where you live. Where we live, our climate is among the more ideal for long-life FLA batteries. Maybe in a more harsh climate (hot/warm) where FLA's fail quicker (hot/warm regions) an AGM be a better fit and better investment.

But on price/life/performance for normal DD between the two, I wasn't seeing it.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go big or go home. I put an Odyssey 49-950 (H8) in mine.

I do find the AGM's last longer than the old tech lead acid batteries myself and I don't mind paying more for that piece of mind.

I also like NOT having to pull the terminals off to clean the acid corrosion off them. You don't get that with an AGM.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I changed factory battery (FLA) @ 4 years to Odyssey 49-850 (H7), which is ampacity match but an AGM. Seems to have faster starting in winter up here in Minnesota, which is why I bought it. We have both kinds of weather here in the Siberia of the Americas - Dangerous Cold AND Dangerous Heat! lol

Very tough on batteries. So far, so good. This is my 1st AGM battery.

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct, mine is a 2016 and I have a post on here about my experience with the truck (can bus) staying awake all night. It started like yours, intermittent but got to the point my dash cluster lights would stay on all night, every night if I didn't disconnect the battery. It has now been at the dealer for over 2 months while they scratch their heads. I replaced 2 batteries and the alternator, removed all aftermarket accessories (radar and obd2 wifi adapter) to see if that had anything to do with it, nope. It now has an AGM battery which it fully drains in approximately 16 hours. If I drive it daily it'll stay charged but if I go 1 day w/o driving it, it's dead. Some on here point to various electronic control modules that start to go bad but my dealership hasn't been able to pin point ANYTHING yet. My truck has approx. 120,000 miles and started doing the intermittent waking up about 5,000 miles ago. I'm afraid you'll be in the same boat as me soon enough.
Did they ever check for a bad door switch?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are going to park your Ram for a period of time
Disconnect the IOD Fuse
On 2009- 2012 Rams, look at fuse J 13
Explanation below:

There is another thing that you can do, it has not come up in any conversation that i have read
I stumbled across it today

You can put your Ram in Shipping Mode
but only for X amount of miles

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Late to this thread...but 2017 here, two nights of pretty substantial cold, battery dead. (Not dead enough not to start the defrost or power doors, though.)

I don't drive it much, maybe 100 miles/week or less (I work from home), but this sucks. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow. I have a CAT charger I'll try, but...this sucks.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2019 RAM, garaged and driven at least once a week. Battery dead, attempted to jump start. No go. Put it on slow charge for 2+ hours, charger indicates fully charged, attempt to start, no go. Try again next day, same results. It seems to juice up but as soon as key is turned voltage drops immediately. Still a month plus of warranty left, at dealership now, waiting for a call.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Picked it up today. Battery was totally dead, but real issue was the connecter to the alternator was fried. Invoice was for $330 but was all under warranty. Good to go.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I unhook my battery cable/s if vehicles are going to sit a long time (like over winter). Or put a Battery Minder on it a couple times in between.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AGM in my 2006 Honda MC. I have a HD waterproof tender (800 MA) that I put on if it gonna sit more than 2 weeks. Other than that, even in the winter, I will crank and ride to town. Use the same tender for riding mower battery, trailer electric battery (break away). Only thing not on truck, I have a big Wet/AGM charger/maintainer I can use if needed, but my truck never sits more than a week.