2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi died, trouble restarting and wont stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
only has about 65,000 miles. I've owned it for last 30,000. Not rode hard, local driver by wife mostly and used for trips occasionally. Floored it a few times getting out of traffic, and let the Hemi sing, but very momentarily done the week prior to problems. Don't know if it matters, but could be relevant. Went to store and upon leaving, it seemed off. Acceleration was weak and felt like it was missing a bit. Slowed down and tried limping home. First light i stopped at, it died once I let off pedal. Would not restart. Noticed if i put pedal to the floor, it would fire off, but running like crap and had to stay on the gas to stop from stalling. will only crank if pedal not applied and can smell gas. Towed to house.

Read codes and had misfire on #8 cylinder and multiple misfires.
- Changed #8 coil, spark plugs and injector to #2 (all separate and checked between). no change and only multiple misfire showing up. Spark plugs on both showed rich
- After above, got code for p0113 for IAT sensor high.
- Changed IAT sensor and air filter no change
- Changed Crankshaft Position Sensor no change
- now it has p0300 multiple misfire, p0175 for bank 2 too rich high permanent codes now
- pulled MAP Sensor and cleaned it, got p0108 sensor high code after. Changed MAP sensor, no change and added code to the permanents
- Pulled O2 sensors on both sides, upstream to see if maybe a clogged Cat. Started a little easier, but no significant change and still stalls
- Verified fuel pressure at 58-60psi and holds down to around 40 over 30 minutes after turning off
- Using Foxwell scan tool live data, show cylinder 8 constantly showing more misfires than the rest
- scan tool shows Bank 2 Sensor 1 .685 voltage, sensor 2 .585 Bank 1 Sensor 1 .37, sensor 2 .86 when i keep it running
- scan tool shows fuel system closed loop i believe
- scan tool shows Catalyst temperature bank 2 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 1 at 860 Celsius

Really at a loss here. I understand it could be a valve spring or lifter. Im about to pull valve cover on Passenger side and inspect and then crank to watch movement. Then if i see nothing, move to drivers and check. ANy ideas or suggestions?? Could the CAM sensor cause all this? Also, if i pull the throttle body to thoroughly clean it, can you perform a relearn without a scan tool as I do not see that on mine.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next order of business pull valve cover on passenger side even bank cyl towards firewall and check for rocker arm movement, if you have a rocker arm W little movement you have a bad lifter possible chewed cam lobe, With 65,000 you may have saved it, pull the VVT solenoid under the front of intake plenum and check for metal fragments, when replacing sensors replace with OEM only.

Do you have more than one misfire you said #8 showing more misfires than the rest?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Welcome ..
this is your first post I see.

Codes are really not meant to be a shopping list.

I would start with the basics like battery voltage and charging system if you find fault with the battery.

Vacuum lines and or fuel quality would be my personal second choice.

Please post back and let us know what other things you tried
and or how you resolved it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lets say it blew a lifter and ate the cam It would still start right up and idle/drive just missing 1 cylinder you shouldnt have to be flooring it to get it to run so that makes no sense however still not a bad idea to pull the valve cover and have a look. I recently had a guy buy a truck from a auction looked like a former township truck 70k miles clean as hell but it had like 9k engine hours... because it idled alot so cam was shot.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Next order of business pull valve cover on passenger side even bank cyl towards firewall and check for rocker arm movement, if you have a rocker arm W little movement you have a bad lifter possible chewed cam lobe, With 65,000 you may have saved it, pull the VVT solenoid under the front of intake plenum and check for metal fragments, when replacing sensors replace with OEM only.

Do you have more than one misfire you said #8 showing more misfires than the rest?
That’s my next plan of attack. Yes, I show some misfires on other cylinders, but nothing like on 8. Thinking the others may be a domino effect.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome ..
this is your first post I see.

Codes are really not meant to be a shopping list.

I would start with the basics like battery voltage and charging system if you find fault with the battery.

Vacuum lines and or fuel quality would be my personal second choice.

Please post back and let us know what other things you tried
and or how you resolved it.
Battery and voltage all good. Fuel quality is suspected good as I’ve checked with other friends that used the base pumps same day as me and there have been no other issues. Still need to check vacuum lines. Will soon. Will update as I go.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might also pump some gas out of the fuel line into a glass jar. Let it sit and see if there's any water in the fuel. That can produce the kind of behavior you're seeing.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lets say it blew a lifter and ate the cam It would still start right up and idle/drive just missing 1 cylinder you shouldnt have to be flooring it to get it to run so that makes no sense however still not a bad idea to pull the valve cover and have a look. I recently had a guy buy a truck from a auction looked like a former township truck 70k miles clean as hell but it had like 9k engine hours... because it idled alot so cam was shot.
Going to start pulling valve covers to look for obvious signs and movement. Hoping I’ll get lucky and maybe have a clean break on a spring as I’ve seen online.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you can check the compression on #8 before pulling the valve covers off it might give you some direction.

This guy had similar codes, compression was low, and it ended up being a lifter failure/flattened cam on cylinder 8.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might also pump some gas out of the fuel line into a glass jar. Let it sit and see if there's any water in the fuel. That can produce the kind of behavior you're seeing.
Thx. I did check water from fuel line i was able to separate under truck and was clean.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I opened the passenger side valve cover, easiest and #8 was suspect anyways. Sure as crap, #8 valve spring broken! I bit of a relief to finally find something! Going to check it all out and make sure valve is good and I'm assuming I'll need to do a leakdown on that cylinder to be sure the valve seat is still good? Going to get the spring set and seals and do them all while i'm there. Pretty decent space except for #8 at the back! Any suggestions as I head that way on this? Best loaner tool for it or recommendations?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep swap new spring and seal then see if it has good compression on that cylinder tons of vids on how to do this while head still installed I use compressed air to hold the valve up.

OP
OP
P

Pittbullsean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep swap new spring and seal then see if it has good compression on that cylinder tons of vids on how to do this while head still installed I use compressed air to hold the valve up.
Anyone have any recommendations on where to get the springs and all? Pretty sure I don't want to go too cheap with Amazon and Ebay on these!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get the oe part number from the dealer, then RockAuto or Benny here @AllMoparParts.com.

Excellent find. Here's to a simple fix.

Sorry, hit post before I realized I was late to the party.....lol