2017 Ram 1500 brake controller from Amazon seller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DirtyKids

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 upgraded from 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My brother just bought a 2017 Ram Laramie but it does not have the factory break controller. Has anybody installed the aftermarket non OEM ones like this Brake controller? My Gen 4 and Gen 5 came with the factory ones so not sure it they are worth it. I do have AlphaODB already from my 2017.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's been hit or miss whether the aftermarket trailer brake controllers work. The usual problems reported is the EVIC display doesn't work/show, radio settings not changing, and the brake controller not working.
It's hard to say percentage wise how many don't actually work as people come to forums to seek answers and complain, not so much to say everything works.

OP
OP
2DirtyKids

2DirtyKids

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 upgraded from 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I agree people seek help and complain not to say everything works great. So maybe if people read this share which aftermarket one they used amd worked it would be great.

Thanks for the reply

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's just priced too cheap to be any good, imo. If it were me I'd either spend the money for factory parts and the necessary programming, or more likely get one of the better Tekonsha brake controllers and go that route. My truck has the factory unit in it, and it's nice. I towed a lot of years with Tekonsha brake controllers I added to vehicles and they worked fine too.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother just bought a 2017 Ram Laramie but it does not have the factory break controller. Has anybody installed the aftermarket non OEM ones like this Brake controller? My Gen 4 and Gen 5 came with the factory ones so not sure it they are worth it. I do have AlphaODB already from my 2017.

Your brothers truck being a Laramie probably already has the factory wiring and connections in place and tucked up under the dash. The OEM brake controller is a pretty easy install. You have AlfaOBD so it can be activated via your software. I’d personally do the OEM unit for integration, uniformity and reliability. You can find them on eBay at the “fell off the truck” discount pretty regularly.

OP
OP
2DirtyKids

2DirtyKids

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 upgraded from 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Does anyone have the oem part number?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
bought mine off ebay a couple years ago, after finding out a $70k truck didn't come with one from the factory.

I paid like $135, said it was OEM, brand new. I was a bit apprehensive pulling that 12 inch screen off, but after 30 minutes had it all in and wired up. Took it to the dealer and they flashed the computer for 50 bucks.

Works like a charm every time i use a trailer. Zero complaints

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
I purchased from this ebay seller just a few weeks back for my 2017 Ram. Installed and works perfect. Cheaper than All Mopar Parts.

OEM Trailer Brake Control Module

got mine off ebay a couple years back. works perfectly and never had any issues. Back then it was $135.00. Price went up i see.

Last edited by a moderator: