2017 Ram Laramie Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am fairly new here to this forum and after driving Ford trucks for years I bought my first Ram.This forum has already been a great help in learning about this truck and I'm still learning. I have had a couple of issues that I don't know are normal or if I have something that needs attention. My first question deals with the power windows in m truck. It is a crewcab and the windows go up and down fine but when they are being rolled up and reach the top of the window channel in the door window frame they hit it pretty hard, never seen one hit the top that hard, it makes a pretty good thump when it hits. Is this normal ? Also my other question, when I'm driving and make a right hand turn ,like the right turn of an S curve,I get a strong draft of cold air from the right/passenger side of the vehicle. I cannot find anywhere under the dash it could be coming from. Is this normal,has anyone else experienced this? My apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum section.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Not sure if this makes sense, but on the cold air gust during a right turn... Do you have individual climate control for the driver and passenger sides? Is the passenger side set to a colder temperature than the driver side? If so, then maybe the cold air is from the passenger side cooler air rotating to the driver side during this turn. The air inside a vehicle does rotate relative to the vehicle during turning. Just a thought.

OP
OP
T

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if this makes sense, but on the cold air gust during a right turn... Do you have individual climate control for the driver and passenger sides? Is the passenger side set to a colder temperature than the driver side? If so, then maybe the cold air is from the passenger side cooler air rotating to the driver side during this turn. The air inside a vehicle does rotate relative to the vehicle during turning. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help but I already thought of that and checked to see what the setting was. The temps are set identical, and when the boss is with me it could be set a bit warmer.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have never noticed the windows, but I have noticed the cooler air in mine. I just attributed it to movement of the air inside the cab. Never really thought much about it otherwise, but I know what you are referring to.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a 2017 Laramie owner I can say I have not had either of these issues, but perhaps youre more adept to that sort of detail than I am.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I have a 2017 Laramie as well. Ive havent noticed these problems, but will pay attention next time I drive and see what happens.

EDIT: Ok, I just went and drove the truck. I did notice the windows roll up with some gusto, but I wouldnt say there is a problem. I rolled each window down, and then up. All four windows had an audible 'thud', but then I also hear the Limit Switch relay doing its job telling the motor to stop.

As far as the air blowing around in your truck, Ill just call you crazy. :D
Maybe you could drop the glove box and make sure your cabin air filter is in there and isnt just a big hole or something...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Laramie as well. Ive noticed these problems, but will pay attention next time I drive and see what happens.

EDIT: Ok, I just went and drove the truck. I did notice the windows roll up with some gusto, but I wouldnt say there is a problem. I rolled each window down, and then up. All four windows had an audible 'thud', but then I also hear the Limit Switch relay doing its job telling the motor to stop.

As far as the air blowing around in your truck, Ill just call you crazy. :D
Maybe you could drop the glove box and make sure your cabin air filter is in there and isnt just a big hole or something...

I'll check on the cabin air filter,I never thought of that, Thanks

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The windows are noisy compared to other vehicles. I noticed it when I went from an 06 Touareg to my 17 Laramie last year. They move pretty quick but you get use to it.

I find the Ram interior pretty ergonomic and nice. I enjoy the quick shifting transmission, and the radio controls on back of the wheel.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont know about the air but I checked the windows and yes its quite audible when it goes up. Never noticed it though before you mentioned it.

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I had a local friend of mine who had the same problem with the windows being “a little too powerful” while mine were just fine. Never had an issue but we never could figure it out.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I get both. The window is normal and so is the air. You gotta look at it like this... I drive say with the heat on and it’s coming out of the vents so u feel the hot air hitting you and you turn... the air coming out is not attached to the truck like you are... so it’s suspended in space and when you turn the air does not follow so you feel the temp difference. It’s like being in space, you could be floating still in the cabin but the cabin could be shaking... it’s why you feel the Gforce in a turn as your body try’s to continue in the same path before the turn.

The windows are just harsh but normal. But it’s also normal to wipe out the window cable mechanisms in these trucks... so it probably is connected.

I bet a bunch of guys are gonna test this out now lol. I notice it most when it’s really cold out and I have the heat on (not blasting) or when it’s really hot and the AC is on.

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
YES--- I noticed a Draft while turning too.
In normal weather it's not noticeable at all, but I first noticed it in North Dakota during well below zero weather.

The nearest I can figure is that it's from what people often call the "trunk vent" or Climate System evacuation vents, ( an air-equalizing flap-covered vent that vents interior air outside the car. They are generally hidden under the rear bumper cover of a car, but may be somewhere near the front of the RAM, perhaps hidden under trim panels, or somewhere near the sides of the dash)-- that allows air to escape the cabin as more air is blown in from the climate control system.

The flaps are very light weight, and I imagine the "lightweight-ness" of the vent also allows them to open on turns, and airflow may temporary flow the wrong way, and allowing exterior air to flow into the cabin. They are shielded from rain, and are supposed to pretty much overlap each other when the vehicle is stationary to prevent water intrusion, but while in motion.

Either that.. Or it's a ghost.