2017 vs 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick_ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
hi all starting to look around for add ons for my 2018 but finding most detailed description stop at the year 2017, so before I start ordering any words of cautions and if anyone has a site that list option add ons for a 2018 please post a link truck is 2018 5.7 st quad and im located near Peterborough Ontario Canada thanks All

TA462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been finding that too. Action Truck tells me they are the same truck and everything from a 2017 will fit a 2018. I grew up in Millbrook, not to far from Peterborough.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be good to go, no change in model until 2019. 2017 and 2018 are same truck

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only stuff I've heard issues with are electronic interface items so I'd contact the manufacturer and double check if it plugs in, because they changed some programming. Apart from that it's the same truck.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They're basically the same truck. All I noticed was that the Alpine stereo which was standard in the 2017 Sport and Laramie's I was looking at became a $495 option in 2018.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2018 don`t have ALPINE radios anymore, they switched to panasonic, and they suck!!!
Only thing "alpine" in the 2018, is the speakers (and they`re made in CHINA!!!)
The sound and quality went backwards in the 2018 trucks. Just HORRIBLE!!!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2018 don`t have ALPINE radios anymore, they switched to panasonic, and they suck!!!

Well that sucks, love the sounds in mine. Has anyone checked out the sound system offered in the 2019's

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

That is incorrect. The 2018s still have the Alpine sound system because that is what is in my 18. For the OP, the 17 and 18 are the same except for some electrical things like others have said

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They're basically the same truck. All I noticed was that the Alpine stereo which was standard in the 2017 Sport and Laramie's I was looking at became a $495 option in 2018.

I believe it has always cost $$. My 2015 sport did not have it. As far as i know it has always been included in the sport group package which included the passenger side climate control, humidity sensor and alpine sound system

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is incorrect. The 2018s still have the Alpine sound system because that is what is in my 18. For the OP, the 17 and 18 are the same except for some electrical things like others have said
Sorry to disappoint you, but you are incorrect. The 2018 has panasonic radios, so does the 2019 trucks.
Even if your 18 has a ALPINE badge on the center of the dash, the radio head is made by panasonic, NOT alpine.
The speakers in the 2018 are a alpine product, thats it. Pull your radio information file up in your truck, it says its a panasonic.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What i would like to know, is when they started putting the oil cooler adapter on the engine block (in between the oil filter and engine block)
I use to use the bigger/taller oil filter on my previous hemi trucks, now this 18 wont allow that, due to the oil cooler adapter lowering the filter.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah i noticed that too... and it sucked even worse finding out AFTER i bought the 18 sport, that the radio didnt have near the sound or quality of my 14 sport, that DID have the alpine radio. After doing some easy research, they dont have alpine radio`s anymore, they are panasonic (the 2019 are panasonic as well). Very disappointed. I opted for the same system as my previous 14 sport truck (w/factory subwoofer) and my 18 sport truck it dosent have near the punch my 14 system had. Not to mention, when you turn the radio on in this 2018 sport, you have to switch from AM to FM to Satellite before the volume turns on. Other than that, love the truck.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im not disappointed at all lol. If they did switch head units from Alpine to Panasonic then to me the sound quality is the same.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah i noticed that too... and it sucked even worse finding out AFTER i bought the 18 sport, that the radio didnt have near the sound or quality of my 14 sport, that DID have the alpine radio. After doing some easy research, they dont have alpine radio`s anymore, they are panasonic (the 2019 are panasonic as well). Very disappointed. I opted for the same system as my previous 14 sport truck (w/factory subwoofer) and my 18 sport truck it dosent have near the punch my 14 system had. Not to mention, when you turn the radio on in this 2018 sport, you have to switch from AM to FM to Satellite before the volume turns on. Other than that, love the truck.

When you say that you have to switch from AM to FM to Satellite before the volume turns on must be an issue with your head unit. I turn my truck on and once the uconnect loads it has sound immediately, i dont have to switch anything. Have you had your dealer look at this?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I was specifically shopping Laramie's and wanted the Alpine like my 2015 had. I noticed on the 2018 Laramie models that had the Alpine 9 speaker + subwoofer system, it was listed in the "Optional Equipment" column for $495. 2017 it was listed in the standard equipment. Cost savings I guess. That plus the better pricing on the 2017 made my decision for me. Wonder why you are having the volume issue? Maybe just a reflash?

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say that you have to switch from AM to FM to Satellite before the volume turns on must be an issue with your head unit. I turn my truck on and once the uconnect loads it has sound immediately, i dont have to switch anything. Have you had your dealer look at this?

Yeah i think your right, its a head unit issue. I checked some other 18`s with identical heads, theirs wern`t having any issues with the sound coming on. I`m not really concerned with it though, because i dont want the stealerships touching this truck. Every time i go to the stealerships, they always seem to screw the truck up worse than when i brought it in to them. So unless this truck has to be towed back due to it dying, i steer clear of every stealership when possible. I`ve never once, had any luck with stealerships re-flashing. Always turns into a nightmare afterwards for some unknown reason(s).

When the sirrius satellite runs out next year, i wont renew it. I dont need or want sat radio. I mainly bought the "radio option" for the backup camera and the nav and a little better sound system for my tunes that i have on a memory thumb stick. There is nothing worse than paying for something that you dont want...lol. Once in awhile, i`ll turn it on for the news on FOX115, but thats not very often.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was specifically shopping Laramie's and wanted the Alpine like my 2015 had. I noticed on the 2018 Laramie models that had the Alpine 9 speaker + subwoofer system, it was listed in the "Optional Equipment" column for $495. 2017 it was listed in the standard equipment. Cost savings I guess. That plus the better pricing on the 2017 made my decision for me. Wonder why you are having the volume issue? Maybe just a reflash?
Yup, likely a re-flash MIGHT fix it. But i`m not willing to take the chance that it WILL fix it. I`ve been down that road to many times with stealerships... i dont want their monky-***`s near ANYTHING i own. I just wondered if anyone else was seeing this issue with their radios.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not disappointed at all lol. If they did switch head units from Alpine to Panasonic then to me the sound quality is the same.
Its not the same quality of sound... i had both my 14 & 18 side by side for a comparison... wasnt even close.