2018 2500 HD 6.4 electrical/mechanical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon Keefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
First time here all so be easy on me. I am in no way a mechanic but I do have some mechanical knowledge. The company I work for has started bringing on new Ram's and as we are now going into the 19's we are having a few issues that the dealers are not able to figure out.

Physical issue: Truck feels like its in 4 High. I.E. When starting from a complete stop you can feel the same resistance as if you're trying to turn while in 4 high and your turning radius reels restricted as your now using the front and rear tires to drive.

Visual issues: I consistently receive a message in the morning when I first start up the unit. It is the same message you receive when you shift from 2 to 4 high. "4WD shift in progress". I Should note that all our units have a manual shift on the floor. Also to note, I am not shifting into 4WD and truck is still in park. One morning I did have an ABS message come across but only once.

I have been to 3 different dealers here in Colorado. The third finally was able to "Duplicate" the Physical issues, as described above, and did replace:

Differential, Differential Side Bearing, Axle Shaft Gasket, & Gear Lube.

Tech's Response on findings:

"Confirm noise from rear diff. Remove cover and found rear diff carrier side and pinion gears had to much play and had a strange wear pattern. Replace Carrier and Side BRGS Fill with fluid and test drive to confirm"

Recalls: All recalls are done and truck is up-to-date.

My thought is that I am having some type of sensor issue. I feel that due to this, my mechanical issues are going to continue until the actual problem is resolved.

Mileage is currently at 40244.

Thank you all for any assistance that may be given and thank you for looking.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did They check your front axle u-joints for being stiff?
Jack up the front of your truck, turn the steering wheel all the way one direction. See if the front wheels turn freely by hand.

OP
OP
B

Brandon Keefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I will check that here in a few but would that cause the 4WD shift in progress indicator to come on?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No it would not

OP
OP
B

Brandon Keefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I rotated the tires last night and found no issues with the front end and turning them back and forth while off the ground felt fine.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be the axle disconnect up front, might have hung up during a 4x4 shift and is still engaged to some extent.

OP
OP
B

Brandon Keefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
So maybe the CAD system, being electronic, could be the issue.... Let me see what that involves and I will let you know. Thank you COAinPaso

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Find the adjustment procedure for the manual t-case shifter, and start with that. Someone on another forum actually had a couple transfer cases let go because the linkage was incorrectly adjusted, and the dealer missed it, and did not do it correctly even when instructed to do it. It is a simple procedure. This is a rare case where the manual shifter seems to give more trouble than the electric selector.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When starting from a complete stop you can feel the same resistance

My 2014 2500 has done this since new. Worse when it's hot and/or under load. I really notice it on a hot day when pulling away from my house on an incline with my trailer attached. Feels just like when trying to turn with 4WD engaged.

I don't get any error messages or anything though. I've had it checked out at the dealer and had the diff fluid changed and it still does it. It sounds like you have more going on but once it's "fixed" you still might get a bit of a binding feel at times.