2018 6.7 front main seal or timing cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck has a leak around the front main or timing I can’t tell which because it is caked up so bad. Worth replacing it or no? It isn’t to the point where it leaks onto the ground yet, just the front end of the block is moist with oil.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’d clean off as best as you can to see where exactly it’s coming from. If it’s the crank seal, you’ll be getting very intimate with your truck, and if it’s the timing cover, ya may as well change out the crank seal since it’ll be right there.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Just posted an update to my "Not liking what I'm seeing" post re oil leak. Service manager said that per my description, it sounds like a timing cover leak. Said there are two covers. One is a simple fix, the second is a 2-week fix. I'll update my post when I get the truck into the shop

Gotigers73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I’ve had two front cover leaks on my ‘19 dsl in two months. Both accounts pointed to the gasket. Luckily they were both under warranty. I literally got it back this recent Friday. We’ll see. I’ve searched high and low on this topic and this issue seems to be isolated.

Before all this, I put a Banks Pedal Monster in and not long after the leaks started. I’m not sure if this caused or compounded the leak, or if it’s unrelated. I took it off. Maybe the additional throttle response put extra pressures???

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Truck has a leak around the front main or timing
How many miles on the truck? or when was the last time the crankcase ventilation filter changed? If I remember correctly a service reminder pops up about every 75K miles.