2018 Cab & Chassis Backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pegasus Group

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New guy here....testing the waters. Not new to Rams, new to the forum. Since the fall of 2007 I've driven a 3500 Mega Cab, Cummins powered. That truck served me well but my needs expanded.

For approximately the past month I've owned a 2018 Ram 4500 Laramie Cab and Chassis, 4X4 with a Hillsboro model 4000 flatbed. I'm running the Cummins and the Aisin on a 197" wheel base. The Laramie crew cab came equipped with the 8.4 inch entertainment center, which includes Nav. At present it does NOT have a backup camera.

My question pertains to installation of a backup camera. I was crawling around under the truck the other day, spraying paint onto the frame weld joints created during the flatbed install before they get too scaled-up with rust. I was taking notice of the workmanship involved (lack thereof) when I came across a wire bundle that was not connected at the extreme rear of the truck. This bundle was tucked way up inside the rear of the flatbed in a difficult to get to spot, is three wires bundled together, clipped flush and not even capped off. One quite thick wire, like maybe it could be coax cable and two common sized electrical wires. I got to thinking that these might be for a dedicated back-up camera system.

Does anyone have knowledge of the Ram Cab and Chassis Laramie wire harness system with respect to a backup camera system? It would be really sweet if I could just install a backup camera onto the rear of the aluminum flatbed and hook up the existing wiring harness to have an OEM backup camera capability at the dash when I hit reverse.

If you know, where would I get a quality aftermarket backup camera? I'd prefer that type with the Green Yellow and Red reference lines that bend as you turn in reverse.

Thanks for the knowledge base....

Mike

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want the active grid line (bending) you will need to do the factory cam kit install and have a dealer activate the sales code. (this is actually needed for any cam install unless they have lockpic type device for the '18).

If you dont care about the grid lines you can use any aftermarket cam and just put the pins into the radio in the correct spots. You will still need it activated by the dealer or the lockpic device.

search around the forum cam installs have been talked about 1000's of times.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley