2018 Power Wagon Auto Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my THIRD "drivability issue" post with my 2018 PW, 9K miles, all stock except for replacing the factory muffler with pipe. The truck acts the same with muffler installed. The following occurs with the truck empty, two occupants, not towing, cruise on. My concern is with the automatic forced downshift especially with cruise on. on a flat road ( I-10) at 70 or above when a rise is encountered ( an overpass, bridge ) a downshift is forced only momentarily then up-shift. It feels like there was plenty of power and only slight acceleration should have been needed. If a long slope is encountered it will downshift then upshift as above but will go thru several cycles while ascending the rise. at slower speeds (60) on the I- 10 scenario it is not as prone to downshift. I would think at 70 with the rpm near 2K I would have more power than at 60 around 1600 RPM but of course have no idea what the VVT is up to. The only load difference I can think of is higher wind resistance above 60... but that much? I had it at the dealership in June, they were contacting FCA. Is this too "normal"? STU

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Had the same with my 15 sport. Tune straightened that up.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same year PW and live just a little east of you so I can tell you what I experience on the same stretch of road. When it gets flat, even on the interstate, the MDS kicks in. Once I approach an elevation, the MDS kicks out(which feels like a downshift) and then the transmission really does downshift. I believe both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears so if the hill is large enough you will actually go thru 6th and then 5th to get to 4th gear. Unfortunately, this is what I’ve experienced with all three brands of gasoline 3/4 ton trucks so I knew it would do this when I bought it. It gets so flat down here that I sometimes just lock in 4 th(if towing) so the transmission doesn’t shift. Another option is to go 80 so the MDS doesn’t kick in and there is enough momentum to not down shift! Hopefully this is what you’re seeing too and there isn’t anything wrong.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It’s a truck still under warranty. The trans may still be “learning”. Or it may need a reflash. Try the simple option first before you start thinking about programmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘16 has done this since brand new. Now at 30k miles.

Imo, the tunes for these trans are completely out of wack. Or maybe its just setup more for the cummins?

Regardless. It makes the driving experience very ******. Especially when I drive a 1500 with the 8 speed for work. The pw trans setup is really a complete joke.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another way to get around these gasser 3/4 tons down shifting into their torque curve is to turn on XM radio to channel 41 Turbo and turn the volume up! Just rock out and forget about it. That’s why they put it in there. That worked on my squeaking chevy console in my 2500 gasser too. Man, that truck would beat the **** out of you. Drive one of those around for a week and you won’t complain about the PW ever!

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a truck still under warranty. The trans may still be “learning”. Or it may need a reflash. Try the simple option first before you start thinking about programmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm gonna need to get a little smarter about the programmers before I try one.. My dealership said they had a ticket in to FCA on the transmission shift doins... I am curious why they have it programmed so sensitive toward a downshift. Is it about overall mileage? Trying to prevent detonation? Saving wear on the transmission? I don't think things like this are accidental. STU

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same year PW and live just a little east of you so I can tell you what I experience on the same stretch of road. When it gets flat, even on the interstate, the MDS kicks in. Once I approach an elevation, the MDS kicks out(which feels like a downshift) and then the transmission really does downshift. I believe both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears so if the hill is large enough you will actually go thru 6th and then 5th to get to 4th gear. Unfortunately, this is what I’ve experienced with all three brands of gasoline 3/4 ton trucks so I knew it would do this when I bought it. It gets so flat down here that I sometimes just lock in 4 th(if towing) so the transmission doesn’t shift. Another option is to go 80 so the MDS doesn’t kick in and there is enough momentum to not down shift! Hopefully this is what you’re seeing too and there isn’t anything wrong.
Sounds the same as mine, the only towing I have done is home to boat launch 3 miles <45 MPH! This is my first 3/4 ton owned. The MDS works great under 50 and not towing.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lock the trans in 4th gear and drive it around without an overdrive gear and you’ll get a better sense of the torque curve in these gas engine. Their power is at higher RPMs and then you will see why the computer is down shifting because you need more torque than what that higher gear provides. When I’m on I-85 going towards Atlanta, I lock mine in 5th so it’s not down shifting much. That is the one thing I do miss about my diesels but I don’t miss all the expensive bills that come with those things. I’d rather spend the money on fishing! Also, not sure how big your boat is, mine is a 21 ft bay boat and I took the trailer brakes off once the salt screwed them up. These trucks have enough stopping power for boats that size unlike a 1/2 ton truck. Another reason I went with a PW even though a 1/2 ton pulls the same weight in some models.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds the same as mine, the only towing I have done is home to boat launch 3 miles <45 MPH! This is my first 3/4 ton owned. The MDS works great under 50 and not towing.
Lock the trans in 4th gear and drive it around without an overdrive gear and you’ll get a better sense of the torque curve in these gas engine. Their power is at higher RPMs and then you will see why the computer is down shifting because you need more torque than what that higher gear provides. When I’m on I-85 going towards Atlanta, I lock mine in 5th so it’s not down shifting much. That is the one thing I do miss about my diesels but I don’t miss all the expensive bills that come with those things. I’d rather spend the money on fishing! Also, not sure how big your boat is, mine is a 21 ft bay boat and I took the trailer brakes off once the salt screwed them up. These trucks have enough stopping power for boats that size unlike a 1/2 ton truck. Another reason I went with a PW even though a 1/2 ton pulls the same weight in some models.
My boat is about the same, Chaparral 191 Suncoast. I'll likely remove the brakes when they start crusting up. My 2014 1500 pulled it fine. I have found it takes ALOT more room to stop this PW than the 1500 and it wasn't that light. It seems in tow / haul the PW hangs out in 5th. I'll try it again on the next drive, STU

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang man! My PW stops my boat as well as both my Chevy, Dodge and Ford 3/4 tons(had this a boat for awhile, 2006 Kenner 21 ft) which is better than my Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons(owned everything except Ram 1/2 ton in last 15 years). Sounds like you need the brakes checked along with the transmission!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boat is about the same, Chaparral 191 Suncoast. I'll likely remove the brakes when they start crusting up. My 2014 1500 pulled it fine. I have found it takes ALOT more room to stop this PW than the 1500 and it wasn't that light. It seems in tow / haul the PW hangs out in 5th. I'll try it again on the next drive, STU

Tow/haul limits upshifts at 5th gear.

OP
OP
H

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang man! My PW stops my boat as well as both my Chevy, Dodge and Ford 3/4 tons(had this a boat for awhile, 2006 Kenner 21 ft) which is better than my Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons(owned everything except Ram 1/2 ton in last 15 years). Sounds like you need the brakes checked along with the transmission!
ALRedneck, have you taken your PW to Boggs? It's a long way just to try it but I might try and see how well it climbs "the hill"! No desire to try the tight trails, that's why I have an '06 TJ!! STU

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ALRedneck, have you taken your PW to Boggs? It's a long way just to try it but I might try and see how well it climbs "the hill"! No desire to try the tight trails, that's why I have an '06 TJ!! STU
May have to try going over there and try it out. All of my off road is towing hay out of my bottom pasture or some other farm chore. I have a creek going across my property so I have some inclines that rival my old TN farm which is unusual for the area. I’ve Jack knifed a different truck before because the 4 wheel drive wasn’t aggressive enough to stick going down a hill with a load behind it so I got the PW for a different reason. No rocks to climb down here!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah last night I tried it in tow/haul and manual mode and it did not shift into 6th.

They must have changed something from '16 to '17...because at 55mph+, my PW in tow/haul pulling a 35' TT goes into 6th. It usually comes back out as soon as I hit any kind of hill, but it very definitely goes into 6th. MDS does NOT engage, though.

That said, these beasts have a LOT of equipment underneath that are getting hammered by the wind - so yes, you're seeing a LOT of wind resistance. Changing your speed from 60 to 70 is definitely going to change how much power you need.