2018 Ram Rebel - OBD/Security Bypass not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcampbell09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently purchased a new key for my truck and wanted to program it... so i purchased a bluetooth OBDII reader, the cable to bypass the security module, and alphaOBD.

Everythiung connects correctly but everytime i go to read the pin or "program Ingintion FOBIKs highline System" i get an error "failed: Invalid security key." I cant see anything else i need to do to bypass the security module to let me program the key. please help!

On a side note when i connect directly to the trucks OBDII port without bypass i can get to the pin but i get a timeout error, however, if i span start enough it shows the PIN# randomly so i have the correct #.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently purchased a new key for my truck and wanted to program it... so i purchased a bluetooth OBDII reader, the cable to bypass the security module, and alphaOBD.

Everythiung connects correctly but everytime i go to read the pin or "program Ingintion FOBIKs highline System" i get an error "failed: Invalid security key." I cant see anything else i need to do to bypass the security module to let me program the key. please help!

On a side note when i connect directly to the trucks OBDII port without bypass i can get to the pin but i get a timeout error, however, if i span start enough it shows the PIN# randomly so i have the correct #.
Have you been able to program any changes in the BCM at all using the SGM Bypass and OBDII adapter you are currently using?

OP
OP
K

kcampbell09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@SitKneelBend I have been able to update the DRL, but nothing within the Radio Frequency hub (RFH). I just thought that i completely removed the radio from the center console so I can reach the security module. Maybe the radio needs to be installed for some reason. I'll try that to see if anything changes. its annoying to take apart the console to try every time.

UPDATE: tried reading the pin and programing the key with the radio still connected and still receiving a failed security error.

@alpinegreenneon I am using one suggested to me by a mechanic friend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 . Its on the cheaper end so it may not have the ability. it was able to make some changes to the Car config under the body computers.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend I have been able to update the DRL, but nothing within the Radio Frequency hub (RFH). I just thought that i completely removed the radio from the center console so I can reach the security module. Maybe the radio needs to be installed for some reason. I'll try that to see if anything changes. its annoying to take apart the console to try every time.

UPDATE: tried reading the pin and programing the key with the radio still connected and still receiving a failed security error.

@alpinegreenneon I am using one suggested to me by a mechanic friend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 . Its on the cheaper end so it may not have the ability. it was able to make some changes to the Car config under the body computers.
It "may" be the adapter you are using. I used one like that on my 2014 to change mileage without issues though. The recommended adapter (from the developer) is the OBDlink MX+. It's a lot of money to spend though if that is not the problem, but the MX+ can intelligently switch its configuration to communicate with different modules without the use of further adapters for specific configurations.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the OBDLink SX and physically connect it to a Windows laptop.

It costs much less than the Mx+ and likely far safer and more reliable.

The idea of using any Android OS device for AlfaOBD and then a wireless Bluetooth connection just does not compute in my head.

You want to make critical adjustments to the brain of your truck without screwing things up, why would you choose a POS OS and a wireless connection?

OBDLink SX Amazon.com

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I don't believe the budget OBD adapters use the correct bi-directional multi protocol communications formats, if they are even proper bi-directional..
They can usually read fine, but writing is a whole other ball game.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you are on the current version of Alfaobd, there is a bug. Assuming you’re using an android device, uninstall it and use this link to install an older version that should work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nz53G-8oeZ7wXsycwyNygx89Y5zy24D5/view?usp=drivesdk

As far as being able to pull the pin, it’s not giving you the correct pin without a bypass cable installed. You’re probably getting something like 0041, 0043, 0047, etc which is not your actual PIN number. So if that is the number you are using, pull your pin again with the older version of Alfaobd (with the bypass installed) and then try to program a fob again.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are on the current version of Alfaobd, there is a bug. Assuming you’re using an android device, uninstall it and use this link to install an older version that should work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nz53G-8oeZ7wXsycwyNygx89Y5zy24D5/view?usp=drivesdk

As far as being able to pull the pin, it’s not giving you the correct pin without a bypass cable installed. You’re probably getting something like 0041, 0043, 0047, etc which is not your actual PIN number. So if that is the number you are using, pull your pin again with the older version of Alfaobd (with the bypass installed) and then try to program a fob again.
Latest windows version is v2.5.2.0 (March 31st this year). Is the "bug" related to the pin pull sequence??

Newest Androind version is 2.3.8.0 on March 5th, 24.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kcampbell09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went ahead and went to an auto shop and they programmed it. However I just noticed my original key isn't working now.... ffs. Hoping it's a bad battery.