2018 Ram USB hub issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I'm having issues with my USB connection from my phone to my 8.4 u connect. About 2 months ago it worked fine then started giving me issues. My phone connects no issue via Bluetooth. When I plug the USB cord into the console port and into my phone I'll get the charging symbol on my phone for about 30-50 seconds then it goes to battery usage again. It'll to that intermittently until the phone is unplugged. The radio will show no device connected. I've tested the cord with a charge brick and a computer so it's not the cord. I can plug my phone brick and use the cable with the 120 plug on the dash no problem. Is there a fuse I should check or do I need a new media hub? Just looking for a place to start. I would like this to start working again so I can display google maps on my radio since I have a non-navigation radio. Thanks in advance

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I'm having issues with my USB connection from my phone to my 8.4 u connect. About 2 months ago it worked fine then started giving me issues. My phone connects no issue via Bluetooth. When I plug the USB cord into the console port and into my phone I'll get the charging symbol on my phone for about 30-50 seconds then it goes to battery usage again. It'll to that intermittently until the phone is unplugged. The radio will show no device connected. I've tested the cord with a charge brick and a computer so it's not the cord. I can plug my phone brick and use the cable with the 120 plug on the dash no problem. Is there a fuse I should check or do I need a new media hub? Just looking for a place to start. I would like this to start working again so I can display google maps on my radio since I have a non-navigation radio. Thanks in advance
I would start by trying a different cord in the truck. Even though other devices have no issue with it, it doesn't rule out the cord as the issue in the vehicle.

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would start by trying a different cord in the truck. Even though other devices have no issue with it, it doesn't rule out the cord as the issue in the vehicle.
I have tried several cords, same result

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Android or apple? Do you have Android Auto App on the phone? It sounds like it is trying to connect and continue to try through the app.

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Android. I do have the app/software on the phone. It will try to connect then the connection stops. I tried a new cord, it worked for about a week, then quit working again. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. All of the apps are updated on my phone. My radio says it is up to date as well. Seems odd it would work for a week then quit again

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I agree it is odd. I'd double check the settings in the phone app. The phone maybe conflicting with the Uconnect while trying to connect. Also plug in after the truck has been running for a minute. Does the Android Auto icon come on the bottom of the uconnect screen showing its connected?
It may help to uninstall then reinstall the App to the phone too.

OP
OP
RamHemi18

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll try after the truck has been running for a while. I'll get the android mobile icon on my phone while it tries to connect but I dont get the icon on the radio like I did a week ago.

KDRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We're having the exact same issue- intermittent connecting with Android Auto and weirdly intermittent charging too. Nothing we've tried is working- stereo software/firmware is up to date. Tried a bunch of different cables, updating Android Auto/ restarting the phone, etc. Any idea how to replace the USB Data port itself?!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any idea how to replace the USB Data port itself?!
On the center console there about 7 screws to pull the console tray out, the media USB port just snaps into place.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My truck has multiple USB ports, front, back seat etc. Have you tried using any of the other ports to see if it is the port that is bad rather than the HUB.

Friskelm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 21 has this issue intermittently. It seems to be heat related. It is very annoying and I have tried different cables and rebooting system. Then after 30 minutes or so it will work again. It seems to only happen in hot days, in Phoenix we have lots of those

Celinaguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2018 5.7 Bighorn. The dealer tells me there is a repair app that is put out by dodge and is sent using a thumb drive. They tell me my usb ports aren't working and are going to charge 500.00 to replace. I have found the port on ebay for 83.00. Not being afraid of a screwdriver, i am wondering if I need to know anything before I tackle this project?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2018 5.7 Bighorn. The dealer tells me there is a repair app that is put out by dodge and is sent using a thumb drive. They tell me my usb ports aren't working and are going to charge 500.00 to replace. I have found the port on ebay for 83.00. Not being afraid of a screwdriver, i am wondering if I need to know anything before I tackle this project?
If you have a center Jumpseat @Mpgrimm2 made a pretty good video detailing how to install/replace a USB hub. I'm not sure if he has one for the center console though.

LameUsername

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Has anyone found a remedy to this issue? I just installed a 8.4 Uconnect setup everything went flawlessly and CarPlay even worked for about 1 minute then it went to a never ending loop of connecting and immediately disconnecting. The only reason I did this upgrade was for CarPlay. I have tried different cables phones iPads' and no joy.

Aries2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anyone found a remedy to this issue? I just installed a 8.4 Uconnect setup everything went flawlessly and CarPlay even worked for about 1 minute then it went to a never ending loop of connecting and immediately disconnecting. The only reason I did this upgrade was for CarPlay. I have tried different cables phones iPads' and no joy.
I had similar issues with my current iPhone in the past. Using the Apple branded cable resolved the issue for me. Now using a Carlinkit AI Android Auto wirelessly link to CarPlay with the same iPhone and wirelessly charge. Next is to change the USB port to power off when car is off as I have to pull the cable with each shutdown to disable the always on USB.

IMG_7332.jpgIMG_7333.jpg

dgreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good morning, I'm hoping someone experienced can let me know if I'm on the right track with my Media Hub problems with 2019 Ram 1500 classic. Media hub #68328704AC. It doesn't charge or connect to CarPlay, also no blue light around the usb port itself. Mopar lists the new part online at $200. My local dealership wants $280 for the part and said it needs to be programmed.

Questions:
1) What sort of "programming" needs to be done?
2) Is the relevant fuse F104 (20 amp yellow) "power outlets-instrument panel/centre console"
3) Should I be tracing wiring further back than the hub and checking for continuity? Any wiring diagrams?

Trouble shooting I've done:
-new cords, software updates etc.
-cut an old usb cord, stripped the wires, and tried to test for voltage coming through the media hub but got nothing
-pulled media hub out, seems to only have continuity across the board through the ground pin, nothing through the Vcc or data pins.

-Dani

Attachments

• tempImagetBxlwn.png
    tempImagetBxlwn.png
    855.4 KB · Views: 2

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It doesn't charge or connect to CarPlay, also no blue light around the usb port itself. Mopar lists the new part online at $200.
You need to check for the +12V going to that hub, that provides power to port for charging not the mini-usb that feeds the hub.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you look closely at the back of the truck side 8 pin hub connector, you will see numbers in the plastic to identify the pins. Pins 1 (red 12v+) and 4 (blk Gnd) are where you need to check for 12v coming from the fuse (F67 if I recall correctly). If you have 12v and nothing powers up from the hub when plugged in, then it's the hub.

No programming should be needed, for a hub replacement.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good morning, I'm hoping someone experienced can let me know if I'm on the right track with my Media Hub problems with 2019 Ram 1500 classic. Media hub #68328704AC. It doesn't charge or connect to CarPlay, also no blue light around the usb port itself. Mopar lists the new part online at $200. My local dealership wants $280 for the part and said it needs to be programmed.

Questions:
1) What sort of "programming" needs to be done?
2) Is the relevant fuse F104 (20 amp yellow) "power outlets-instrument panel/centre console"
3) Should I be tracing wiring further back than the hub and checking for continuity? Any wiring diagrams?

Trouble shooting I've done:
-new cords, software updates etc.
-cut an old usb cord, stripped the wires, and tried to test for voltage coming through the media hub but got nothing
-pulled media hub out, seems to only have continuity across the board through the ground pin, nothing through the Vcc or data pins.

-Dani
To pile on. Check the connections under the driver seat too. In my truck with a jump seat, the harness for the hub connection is under the driver's seat nearest the console.