2019 Base Sound System Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CK1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the base sound system (non-Alpine). I'm installing a mono amp to power two 12" subs under the rear seats, using a LC7i to get the signal from the rear speakers.

I tapped into the RR+/- & LR +/- wires directly behind the head unit for speaker-level inputs into the LC7i. I've got sound, but it seems muddy and relatively quiet, even when I turn up the gain on both the LOC and amp. Definitely not the booming bass I was expecting from two 12s and a 1000W RMS amplifier.

I'm curious if the base sound system has a factory amplifier? And if so, if I should be tapping after the factory amp for a better signal to the LC7i?

ErnieD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Boy oh boy. I have done loads of research into your issue. I too have a 19 RAM classic bighorn with the base audio package. My plans are to upgrade all six speakers to some decent kickers, then wire in a 5 channel Rockford Fosgate amp to push the dash and door speakers and eventually expand into a sub. Here’s what I have found after contemplating options including the LC7i.

The factory head unit has an internal amp and of course no pre-amp RCA outs. Naturally the options are to go high level input (speaker wire to amp) or to use the next best option which you chose with an active line out converter.

The issue you no doubt have run into is that your tapped into the rear channel of the audio as a signal and this signal is not whole or flat. In laymen’s terms, if you has a picture of an EQ with all the frequencies you’re feeding the amp, you’d see the lows are either rolling off or chopped altogether. This means the factory head unit doesn’t send a full feed of low frequency to the rear speakers in order to protect them from blowing up.

That’s the opposite of what your want. You want a full signal feed. You’re going to have to feed it an signal from the front channel and rear channels, ( all 4) and sum the channels together. Summing videos are everywhere on you tube. Essentially you’re combining all four channels and letting your processor get as many of the frequencies possible. As soon as you do this, you can then set the line out, the accubass then the amp. It should all really wake up!

I went with another option. The best option for our situation. That’s a PAC ap4-ch41 R.2. This is a amp pro that interfaces with the factory head unit and pulls a full flat signal to the amps. It’s the easiest option for a fella that’s not an audio tuner expert.