2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Won't receive gas at the pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElizabethRhoades

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if this been discussed. I can't find the threads.
I have a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500
I have half tank and when at the pump it only puts a little and back splashes as it cuts off. I can put in a few cents in at a time.
So, is this a problem for many? I have no warrenty. Just want to know how to fix it. I want to know before I take it to a dealer if I can't fix myself

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a classic or a 5th gen? Welcome to the site! Hope we can help you out!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Does Arizona use vapor recovery nozzles at their gas pumps?

The problem usually arises from over filling or topping off the fuel tank and when filling up the vapor recovery system becomes saturated at fumes pour out of the filler neck and shut off the pump

Modulating the pump trigger can help because Gas stations have a tendency to to over clock their pumps in order to increase their potential sales transactions

The way to slow down the trigger on the pump is to depress the handle slightly which is not enough to engage the handle lock so in order to do this with less frustration there is a well known method that employs a pencil or something similar in diameter to hold the pump trigger depressed enough to dispense fuel but not enough to trigger the shut off

A stick type tire pressure gauge works also but a ballpoint pen will work just as well usually too depending on and what you find at your disposal .

If Arizona has no such vapor recovery devices installed on their pumps then maybe try using a gas can instead of the fuel pump and if that works then the pen, pencil,stick tire gauge method may work.

The fuel vapors if the evap system is over saturated from topping off repeatedly will eventually evaporate and normal fueling may be resumed

Other reasons you may not be able to dispense fuel normally there could be an object like a rubber hose or similar device broken off inside your fuel filler neck…
( from an attempt to syphon gas)…
that needs to be removed and that usually requires a shop for service.

Last edited:

RAMaway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorq
Yes I have that problem on a 5th Gen. I was thinking it was
just how the pump cutoff was set.
Then I tried to add gas when I had half a tank and it would
not accept any more gas, keep cutting off......RAMaway

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:biggun: :party36: :welcome: :party36:

Try placing the fuel nozzle partially in the filler tube, once fuel flows good let the nozzle slip all the way into the filler tube. Try to not to use max flow on nozzle and never try to top off the tank when the fuel flow stops, tank is full. Fuel will overflow into the fuel tank vent, contaminate the charcoal canister, preventing the fuel tanks agility to vent. If the problem continues, have the rollover valve checked and or replaced.

2 (2).JPG

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a service bulletin on the filler neck that allot of folks are experiences on the west coast and maybe Arizona, Ram came up with a filler neck that had a more gradual bend to it and the dealers know about it, I'll see if I can find it, Is your ram a 2019 5th gen DT 1500?

Also do a search enter (Filler Neck) and there is allot of threads on it.

Last edited:

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Naaaaah......most people that have changed the filler neck still had to change the tank......it has a roll over valve at the top that gets sticky