2019 Laramie oil pan rusting around plug by 9000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henry Rodham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2019 Laramie Sport has 9000 mi on it. I had the dealer change the oil at 4500 miles and I decided to do it myself at 9000 mi. I'm glad I did because I found corrosion around the plug hole and the plug gasket melted to it. Also spots starting farther up the pan. Pic attached. This has only been through a single winter and I wash the salt off undercarriage atleast every week when they salt the roads. I've seen enough postings about RAM oil pans rusting badly but was hoping by 2019 this would not be a problem. If these are double walled it seems to me the issue is the space between at different temperatures and condensation rusting from inside out. And there also the issue of the oil plug gasket melting. Anybody else seeing this and able to get RAM to cover replacement under warranty?
2019oilpanplugrust9000milles.jpg

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Have you tried simply wiping it off? That just looks like surface rust. Even in Texas I get that.

Just wipe some oil around the plug hole when you change the oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The rust bubbles I see elsewhere on the oil pan to me are more alarming on a 2019 than the area around the drain plug. For the drain plug area, I'd loosely thread the plug back in and maybe scuff the area with a scotch brite pad to clean the rust off the mating surfaces.

Give the whole pan a shot of fluid film, woolwax, krown, etc. and keep an eye on it. You can always touch those areas up if they get worse with a paint over rust product like POR15 or rust bullet, or clean down to bare metal, prep and paint.

Sounds like she sits a lot if the truck only has 9K miles on it. That lack of heat cycles may have caused that area to stay damp in conjunction with corrosive materials on it, causing the rust? Just a guess.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My 2019 Laramie Sport has 9000 mi on it. I had the dealer change the oil at 4500 miles and I decided to do it myself at 9000 mi. I'm glad I did because I found corrosion around the plug hole and the plug gasket melted to it. Also spots starting farther up the pan. Pic attached. This has only been through a single winter and I wash the salt off undercarriage atleast every week when they salt the roads. I've seen enough postings about RAM oil pans rusting badly but was hoping by 2019 this would not be a problem. If these are double walled it seems to me the issue is the space between at different temperatures and condensation rusting from inside out. And there also the issue of the oil plug gasket melting. Anybody else seeing this and able to get RAM to cover replacement under warranty?
View attachment 227555

That's a strange place to get rust when you consider you wipe oil over it when you wipe the drain hole.

Soon after I got my truck I hit many of the parts - axles, quarter pannels, etc - with several cans of Rustolum flat black. Still looking good.

OP
OP
H

Henry Rodham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did and started to pick away the corrosion and considered taking the emory cloth to it but thought it better that the dealer see it first. I have a feeling I'll be doing that anyway after the dealer says it's environmental damage.

OP
OP
H

Henry Rodham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After hearing from the dealership that the oil pan corrosion is expected, I finally spent the time to deal with it before the winter road salt got to it.

Check out the before and after pics. I took a wire wheel to it and you can see it's more than just surface rust. If I tried to brush it all out it some spots would probably cause a hole through the metal. So instead of just regular high temp paint I put a coat of POR-15 on it. They make a kit with a 4 oz can in it for approx $25.

So far no problems. I also added the Fumoto F106SX valve so I don't have to remove a plug and cause the paint to scrape off. I'll let you know how it holds up this winter.

thumbnail_IMG_3329.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3338.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3339.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3485.jpg