2019 Ram Tradesman 4x4 should it be my responsibility...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badlandsbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4x4 with towing pkg
Engine
To replace all 4 of my tires when the truck only has a little less than 15,000 miles On the clock? My tires are worn out down to 2/32 on all 4 tires...The dealership said “ Tire warranty up to 12,000 miles only” , so now I have to figure out how to deal with this out of pocket unexpected cost. I believe the tires must have been wearing out from day 1 when I purchased it and started driving it. I have taken the truck to this dealership for the oil, filter and tire rotations.

I’m Extremely unhappy at this point to even have to deal with such an issue.

what would you do?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately they arent wrong....AFAIK tires are always a "separate" warranty, provided by the tire manufacturer and not the vehicle manufacturer.

SHOULD they help you? It would be nice, but I dont think anything says they HAVE to help you.

(the tires they use on most new vehicles leave a lot to be desired, unfortunately)

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Try finding a tire place that sells the brand of tires, they may help you out and get you some credit towards the purchase of new tires depending on the manufacturer’s warranty.
Great advice. I had a set of Goodyear’s that were shot at about the same mileage back in 2013 and the dealer told me to go to the Goodyear store as their mileage warranty should cover them. Goodyear replaces all four minus a small fee.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
It's unfortunate that dealer cannot warranty factory tires at least for 30K miles. I'm still hearing from wife for vacating factory wheels/tires for better quality. Even with 8k miles I could already see significant wear.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goodyear sent me to a national brand that sold GY tires to replace mine under warranty. Of course mine only had a couple hundred miles on them. I would give it a try. I would just make sure to not get the same tires, though you may have to stick with Goodyear, which I did.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
To replace all 4 of my tires when the truck only has a little less than 15,000 miles On the clock? My tires are worn out down to 2/32 on all 4 tires...The dealership said “ Tire warranty up to 12,000 miles only” , so now I have to figure out how to deal with this out of pocket unexpected cost. I believe the tires must have been wearing out from day 1 when I purchased it and started driving it. I have taken the truck to this dealership for the oil, filter and tire rotations.

I’m Extremely unhappy at this point to even have to deal with such an issue.

what would you do?
15k is pretty dismal in terms of tire life but I’ve had worse. 2012 Journey with the factory low profile 20”s. Most expensive set of replacements I put on it only went 12k. Current set, not nearly so expensive, is pushing 20k and still has 8/32.

Now for your situation: your tires started to wear before you bought the truck. They were wearing off as the truck rolled off the assembly line. New passenger tires start out @ 10-11/32 tread depth. You’ve lost 8-9/32 of tread. I don’t understand why you waited until they were scrubbed all they way down to 2/32 before saying something about it. You would’ve had significant tread loss at one of your earlier oil changes and an opportunity to maybe get the dealer to act on your behalf. Now the dealer is off the hook so-to-speak.

Nonetheless, tires are a consumable part on a vehicle. Just like brake pads and wiper blades. Everyone should be prepared to replace consumable parts as needed when needed. It’s just part of owning a vehicle new or used.

Your best option now; take Stimpy433’s advice. Find a tire dealer who handles the tire brand that came on your truck. If your lucky you’ll get some price relief from them.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I took the tires n wheels off at 500 miles. But thats because I wanted to put a custom set on my 2500 4x4
The factory put Firestone's on it with the chrome steel wheels. I've never cared for firestone tires.
I still have the full set including the spare,lugnuts,and center caps. FS/BTW.

Blue Mule

OP
OP
B

badlandsbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

I don’t know why I didn’t see this tire issue sooner, but now “it is what it is” and my wife has informed me that she has been talking to FC about this issue.

I will update this thread Once we know if FC will do anything or not.

OP
OP
B

badlandsbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the tires n wheels off at 500 miles. But thats because I wanted to put a custom set on my 2500 4x4
The factory put Firestone's on it with the chrome steel wheels. I've never cared for firestone tires.
I still have the full set including the spare,lugnuts,and center caps. FS/BTW.

Blue Mule
I may be interested...

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You’ve said nothing about driving habits, maintenance (rotation, alignment and inflation) or driving conditions (off-road, towing, etc) or timeframe this occurred.

Hopefully your wife isn’t a Karen as FC will tell her to pound sand and refer to the tire warranty.

I had a set of tires wear out in 27k miles over a 36 month period with proper maintenance and care. The factory tires are typically nowhere as good as new tires as they’re bought in bulk and sit for a while before installed or sold.

OP
OP
B

badlandsbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ve said nothing about driving habits, maintenance (rotation, alignment and inflation) or driving conditions (off-road, towing, etc) or timeframe this occurred.

Hopefully your wife isn’t a Karen as FC will tell her to pound sand and refer to the tire warranty.

I had a set of tires wear out in 27k miles over a 36 month period with proper maintenance and care. The factory tires are typically nowhere as good as new tires as they’re bought in bulk and sit for a while before installed or sold.

driving habits.. I use my truck for work and family...6 miles round trip 5 days a week to work, several camping trips pulling a pop up, no off- roaming or muddling, Just normal stuff. Now maintenance- I purchased oil and filter changes, tire rotations and fill and check stuff for the life of the loan. I was about to have my 3 rd tire rotation when I brought my tire tread issue to the service department.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
FCA specifically disclaims any warranty, implied or expressed, for tires.

They will always refer you to the tire manufacturer for warranty claims. The manufacturer's warranty are the operating terms and determine whether or not you will recover some of the replacement costs under the pro-rated warranty.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m sirry

sir, I don’t know how to Pm someone yet.
Please advise.
Thanks

Hit his forum name, this pops up...
Screenshot_20200525-170339_Samsung Internet.jpg
Hit start a conversation
Write a title then under that start writing what you want

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I replace the factory tires with better ones within the first month of ownership. I usually get $500 from the buyer on Craigslist and then put that money toward the tires I want to have on the vehicle. Easy to sell truck tires with 400 miles or less of use to people on Craigslist and did that with my current pickup and with my 2018 SUV.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't look forward to spending the money, but getting rid of Firestone will be good for me.

Usually a sporty summer tire will wear in about 15-20k. Truck tires should last a lot longer. Look on your sidewall for the tread wear number. IIRC higher numbers (400 or higher) have a stiffer rubber compound and will last longer than say something in the 200 range.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't look forward to spending the money, but getting rid of Firestone will be good for me.

Usually a sporty summer tire will wear in about 15-20k. Truck tires should last a lot longer. Look on your sidewall for the tread wear number. IIRC higher numbers (400 or higher) have a stiffer rubber compound and will last longer than say something in the 200 range.
Good to know, thanks.