2020 Classic Tradesman - Radio Upgrade Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axis39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
So, just bought my 'new' 2020 Classic Tradesman. Got home and realized it doesn't even have Bluetooth... So, no hands-free phone stuff. That's not gonna work, I spend too much time driving (in a state where hands-free is the only way).

I am capable, and have installed a bunch of car stereos, worked on cars, all that joy. But, I haven't done it in a few years... I'll need a little help to know what parts I need. I am getting confused by all the numbers and letters and options. Then., there's the whole Gen 4 Classic vs Gen 5 thing.

I've done a little searching and it looks like i just need a new bezel/panel and radio to upgrade to a larger display with Bluetooth. Is that correct?

If so, what radio do I need? Will any current 8.4 uConnect unit fit and work?

I was contemplating going aftermarket, but that seems like more work.... Certainly more parts required!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help and assistance!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your looking bro add the factory 8.4 radio, you'll want to install a UAS (non-Nav) or UAQ (Nav), both of which support AndroidAuto and/or CarPlay.
Make a post over in the M² Mods forum vendor section, @Mpgrimm2 can get you set up with the wiring harnesses needed to make everything work.

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just did this in my 2016 but mine already had a hands free (Bluetooth) in my truck. You can piece the kit together yourself. There’s a HUGE topic on this and you will get lost trying to find all the information you need.
I’m going to assume your center console will already have the correct USB plug that “should” work with a CarPlay system because it’s a 2020 model.
You will need the radio, bezel, the HVAC controller.
Gps antenna if you don’t have satellite radio.
New harness that will connect HVAC controller to the new bezel.
Is your truck a four door?
Dual climate controls?
Infotainment.com will sell you a complete kit.

OP
OP
A

Axis39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I just did this in my 2016 but mine already had a hands free (Bluetooth) in my truck. You can piece the kit together yourself. There’s a HUGE topic on this and you will get lost trying to find all the information you need.
I’m going to assume your center console will already have the correct USB plug that “should” work with a CarPlay system because it’s a 2020 model.
You will need the radio, bezel, the HVAC controller.
Gps antenna if you don’t have satellite radio.
New harness that will connect HVAC controller to the new bezel.
Is your truck a four door?
Dual climate controls?

It’s funny, I have Sirius in this truck, but, no Bluetooth.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are several posts on this forum of people having issues with kits from them. Several were unable to be resolved. M2 and other members have helped them eventually get the problems resolved.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[QUOTE="I’m going to assume your center console will already have the correct USB plug that “should” work with a CarPlay system because it’s a 2020 model.[/QUOTE]
I can tell you the 19 classics had two different hubs, my Express has one charging only port and one data port, I can verify the data port works with Android Auto but I've read that it doesn't support Carplay, that I can't verify. There is a premium hub with two data ports that's supposed to support Carplay. And definitely contact M2Mods about the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 classic express has 2 ports, both support data and i have used android auto on both.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
What radio came from the factory in your truck?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yep... The uConnect 3.0 & 5.0" radios don't come with a compatible USB Hub for AA/CP with the 8.4 UAQ or UAS Upgrade... Factory 2018+ 8.4 trucks do.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep... The uConnect 3.0 & 5.0" radios don't come with a compatible USB Hub for AA/CP with the 8.4 UAQ or UAS Upgrade... Factory 2018+ 8.4 trucks do.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)
Actually one of the ports ( left side, I think) works with Android so I didn't have to upgrade it when I upgraded my radio, I don't use Carplay. Only problem is I can't have my phone and a USB music stick plugged in at the same time.

scackley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have used infotainment.com for both my 2014 and 2018 RAMS Tradesmen the kits worked perfectly, I will say though that if it was NOT for the YouTube link for the 2018 install; it would have been near impossible to figure out.

IMO the kits are well worth the money and makes the trucks look 10000% better.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used infotainment.com for both my 2014 and 2018 RAMS Tradesmen the kits worked perfectly, I will say though that if it was NOT for the YouTube link for the 2018 install; it would have been near impossible to figure out.

IMO the kits are well worth the money and makes the trucks look 10000% better.
My "junkyard" upgrades with harnesses from M2mods.926be8783b0ac69884a4b936481ab567.jpg37d37f1d7379cf68b1641fb6d945b68e.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, just bought my 'new' 2020 Classic Tradesman. Got home and realized it doesn't even have Bluetooth... So, no hands-free phone stuff. That's not gonna work, I spend too much time driving (in a state where hands-free is the only way).

I am capable, and have installed a bunch of car stereos, worked on cars, all that joy. But, I haven't done it in a few years... I'll need a little help to know what parts I need. I am getting confused by all the numbers and letters and options. Then., there's the whole Gen 4 Classic vs Gen 5 thing.

I've done a little searching and it looks like i just need a new bezel/panel and radio to upgrade to a larger display with Bluetooth. Is that correct?

If so, what radio do I need? Will any current 8.4 uConnect unit fit and work?

I was contemplating going aftermarket, but that seems like more work.... Certainly more parts required!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help and assistance!

Please keep in mind that many of the late 2017 through early 2019 8.4 radios have a defect with the touch panel screen. The panels really made by LG and the adhesive they used to adhere the digitizer to the glass didn’t cure correctly and they leak the adhesive. Eventually rendering the radio useless. If you do the upgrade verify that the touch panel has part number LA084X01 (SL)(02) and not (SL)(01). The 02 is the new improved panel from LG.

dingo7285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprised I have a 2018 tradesman base with smaller radio and it has Bluetooth and Data via the port in the center console.

RMRui

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
hi, I have a 2021 ram 2500 with a 5in radio, I will like to install a 12in, the infotaiment unit is great but way too expensive, I found the screen for $800 no radio, I guess I will have to use my own radio module, do you have any info on this