2021 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
Looking at a 2021 2500 cummins with 72k miles. Used for long state to state drives. Is this too many miles to buy for a 2021? Truck looks good and clean and drives and sounds great.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I think it’s about what you’re comfortable with. I don’t own a Cummins, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Diesels can last a really long time with proper maintenance, so if you can verify its history, it could be a great deal. I’d be apprehensive about a gas motor with 36k miles/year, but I’d consider a well-maintained diesel if it was in my budget.

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
Used for long drives doing what? Personal use is one thing, commercial hotshot use is another.

The mileage itself would not concern me, it’s just a factor in pricing.

I would NOT buy any used diesel without a professional mechanic’s inspection.
Used it to for electrical work. The guy was an electrician so. Not much heavy hauling

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the price reflects a heavy discount for the high mileage, it may be a good truck.

As a sanity check, contact Koons Ram in VA. See what an ordered '23 would cost you (they have BIG discounts off of MSRP if you order one out). Maybe not too far from New York? It may be an eye opener for you, depending on your local pricing environment.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2 things come to mind, price and how many miles do you expect to put on it? That's a lot of miles in 2 years and if you continue that trend you will be way up on mileage before you know it. If this is going to be an occasional tow vehicle then the overall mileage will even out over the years if that makes sense.

Of course the price needs to reflect the mileage and lack of warranty left. You are already out of the 3/36 so all you have left is the 100k powertrain.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Something to consider is diesels built today are much different than the legendary durable machines of previous decades. The horsepower per liter has gone WAY up, so there’s increased wear rates. Coupled with very precise highly stressed injection systems- modern units will very likely need injectors and maybe more replaced between 100-200k miles. Price that job.

Then there’s the emissions systems which run out of warranty at 100k. DPF is a wear item, for example. Some people will recommend deleting; which results in a vehicle that can’t be registered in some locations, dealers and reputable shops won’t touch it, and it’s nearly impossible to trade in.

I do like diesels and have one now. The guys I encounter who work on them generally recommend to drive it 100k and then get rid of it or expect big bills and decreasing reliability.

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
2 things come to mind, price and how many miles do you expect to put on it? That's a lot of miles in 2 years and if you continue that trend you will be way up on mileage before you know it. If this is going to be an occasional tow vehicle then the overall mileage will even out over the years if that makes sense.

Of course the price needs to reflect the mileage and lack of warranty left. You are already out of the 3/36 so all you have left is the 100k powertrain.

Yes I understand the high mileage and the warranty. Using it as my daily and to tow frequently. I only put about 12k miles on my trucks yearly

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
Something to consider is diesels built today are much different than the legendary durable machines of previous decades. The horsepower per liter has gone WAY up, so there’s increased wear rates. Coupled with very precise highly stressed injection systems- modern units will very likely need injectors and maybe more replaced between 100-200k miles. Price that job.

Then there’s the emissions systems which run out of warranty at 100k. DPF is a wear item, for example. Some people will recommend deleting; which results in a vehicle that can’t be registered in some locations, dealers and reputable shops won’t touch it, and it’s nearly impossible to trade in.

I do like diesels and have one now. The guys I encounter who work on them generally recommend to drive it 100k and then get rid of it or expect big bills and decreasing reliability.
What is the main thing to expect to repair after 100k miles. Trying to get a truck that’ll be reliable until 175-200k miles

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'd be more concerned with idle time than miles. If it has high idle time, it was probably some sort of muni truck which sat idling all day.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was buying a truck for 200k reliable miles, I’d get a 6.4, as long as the towed load is within its rating. Service according to the severe service schedule and it’ll probably need nothing other than fluids, filters and brakes. There’s a very small chance of losing the bad lifter lottery, and a bad one will probably express during warranty.

I only buy diesels now for heavy loads gas can’t do.

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
If I was buying a truck for 200k reliable miles, I’d get a 6.4, as long as the towed load is within its rating. Service according to the severe service schedule and it’ll probably need nothing other than fluids, filters and brakes. There’s a very small chance of losing the bad lifter lottery, and a bad one will probably express during warranty.

I only buy diesels now for heavy loads gas can’t do.
I got a camper that my dads f250 gasser struggles with. So that’s why I’m looking at the diesels

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with idle time than miles. If it has high idle time, it was probably some sort of muni truck which sat idling all day.
I forget off the top of my head what the idle time was but I remember it wasn’t more than 1/3 of drive time

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got a camper that my dads f250 gasser struggles with. So that’s why I’m looking at the diesels
Same reason I went back to diesel. My load is not huge by 5th wheel camper standards, but in our hilly driving here in the Ozarks and going to the Rockies every year, my gas 3/4 ton was just not cutting it. You will be very impressed by how the Cummins pulls.

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
Same reason I went back to diesel. My load is not huge by 5th wheel camper standards, but in our hilly driving here in the Ozarks and going to the Rockies every year, my gas 3/4 ton was just not cutting it. You will be very impressed by how the Cummins pulls.
You delete yours? Or fully stock?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I don't think that one should expect injector failure within 100-200k miles if serviced properly and using good fuel. At least none that I've ever seen... Possibly in the 200-300k mark if not properly maintained, but they're still pretty darned reliable.

I personally recommend deleting IF your state allows it, but if not I still wouldn't shy away from one that needs to maintain the DPF system. But yes, at around 100-130k miles it's not uncommon to see some component in that system begin to fail. In our state (since we don't have emissions) there is no issue with having a shop work on them nor selling/trading them... as long as you can show that it hasn't been hot-rodded.

A properly maintained diesel is just hitting its sweet spot at 100k miles but I love people that think that way. I usually find my best deals like that. :)

OP
OP
D

Dbiiker214

Reaction score
I don't think that one should expect injector failure within 100-200k miles if serviced properly and using good fuel. At least none that I've ever seen... Possibly in the 200-300k mark if not properly maintained, but they're still pretty darned reliable.

I personally recommend deleting IF your state allows it, but if not I still wouldn't shy away from one that needs to maintain the DPF system. But yes, at around 100-130k miles it's not uncommon to see some component in that system begin to fail. In our state (since we don't have emissions) there is no issue with having a shop work on them nor selling/trading them... as long as you can show that it hasn't been hot-rodded.

A properly maintained diesel is just hitting its sweet spot at 100k miles but I love people that think that way. I usually find my best deals like that. :)
I live in NY and I’m pretty sure we aren’t legally allowed to delete but I’ll keep doing my research and hopefully this truck works out

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There’s no state where deletes are legal. There’s states that enforce the law, and those that don’t.
Hence why I said if your state allows it. Whether it's legal on a federal level or not... if the state doesn't enforce it then its a moot point.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hence why I said if your state allows it. Whether it's legal on a federal level or not... if the state doesn't enforce it then its a moot point.
I’m talking to the OP, he’s the one introducing the L-word. Considering he’s in NY, it’s pointless to be advising him to go down that road.

But I’m certainly willing to learn something new, if you can show any official statement or statute in Alabama “allowing” removal of emissions equipment I’d love to see it. To the best of my knowledge it’s essentially “don’t ask - don’t tell”.

As a point of clarification, none of this means I’m in favor of increased regulation. Far from it. From my perspective, it’s merely financial prudence to understand the consequences of modifications. I, too, live in a state that doesn’t give any effort to enforcement. But you can’t trade in a vehicle any more without the dealer requiring a written statement of emissions being intact. That’s where the rubber meets the road. The EPA doesn’t chase little fish like me. They don’t need to if they get businesses to comply.