2021 failed locker....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So had the dreaded "service axle locker" warning come up at 1700kms. Booked it in to the dealership, a day and a half later I get a call saying the locker assembly has to be replaced. I haven't even had the opportunity to use the lockers yet.....

Crap part is the part is on back order with no real ETA. The nice lady I dealt with said it will be at least a month before they see it. So not cool.

Anyone else need a locker replaced at such low mileage? If so, what was the actual failure?

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So had the dreaded "service axle locker" warning come up at 1700kms. Booked it in to the dealership, a day and a half later I get a call saying the locker assembly has to be replaced. I haven't even had the opportunity to use the lockers yet.....

Crap part is the part is on back order with no real ETA. The nice lady I dealt with said it will be at least a month before they see it. So not cool.

Anyone else need a locker replaced at such low mileage? If so, what was the actual failure?

yes.. mine went out within the first 6 months of ownership. I have a 2019, dealer replaced the actuator.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if that was my truck im going back to the dealer and asking specific questions regarding their processes and procedures for diagnosing your supposedly failed locker.
its no secret that some dealer techs have subpar diagnosing skills and only know how to unload the parts cannon.
assembling a differential thats already been 'run in' probly isnt a task for any old run of the mill tech, not to mention if it didnt need to be taken apart in the first place.
if your doctor says you have cancer the very first thing youll ask to see the xray, scans ,lab tests and any other pertinant info to support the diagnoses.
far to many people go in a dealer with a problem and walk out the door taking the diagnosis at face value without asking any specific hard line questions.
perfect example is most any thread here about the heater not working. a dealers first instinct likely is spend 8hrs replacing a heater core that probly could of been unplugged in 30min with high pressure water

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep having problems with mine 2021. Axle unlock light flashed since it came off the delivery truck

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That sucks for the new gens. I wonder what they changed......having said that, when I bought my truck I was a bit ignorant with the lockers and naturally they didn't engage and just flashed. The sales woman was like well maybe it was because we changed the tire size.......fkin moron. So just because they work at a dealership doesn't mean they know wtf they are talking about.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

while i dont have '19+ manual, i do have '17 which may or may not be the same in the context of this subject but based on those codes the manual instructs the tech to check the harness at the front disco bar very first thing, failure to do so could result in misdiagnosis. he may have performed that step but he made no mention of it in his notes. the other strange thing is he said the values went goofy when he set the truck on the ground. makes you wonder if the FDCM final drive control module (integrated in the disco bar) or its wiring arent to blame. either way best of luck

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yep having problems with mine 2021. Axle unlock light flashed since it came off the delivery truck

We are terribly sorry to hear this, @Astewartconst. We would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf in order to assist alongside your dealer in resolving this for you. Please send over a private message with your VIN, thank you!

@RamCares any chance you could help find a new rear locker assembly?
Hi @Stig, we are unfortunately only able to assist customers within the United States. We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge to receive an email follow up. Be sure to include the entire URL into your browser when using the link provided!

Kathryn
Ram Cares