2022 HO 3500 Aisin Trans…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called my local dealer today and was informed the 22 HO Aisin trans was still a 6 speed. Can anybody confirm this? Heard rumors they will coming out with a 8 speed.. wanting to trade my PW, but waiting on the upgrade if the rumors are true…

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The rumor mills are running full speed spreading the thought of an Allison, or a ZF, or the same old, your choice. Whatever change is in the air, if any, likely won't come about until the 2023 MY.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Most like the 8spd won't be in the HD trucks till the body/frame is updated for the Gen5 sheet metal.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Current conjecture is new cab new trans, etc. in 2025. IMHO with GM rumored to be turning up the wick big time on the Dmax, Ram needs to at least roll out a new trans for '23. '22 is same Aisin by all accounts.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
They can't get parts to build what they already have spec'd. I doubt most manufacturer's are going to roll out much for 2022...Those plans have probably been put on hold for a lot of stuff.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Again, I see no need for more gears with this current combo. Seems like a perfect match. For comparison, my last semi tractor only had a 6speed, so there’s that. I would bypass first model year on anything freshly engineered anyway, maybe 2 model years to be safe after some miles have been put on them by the masses.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Again, I see no need for more gears with this current combo.
I'd sure like to disagree with you but in reality, you are right. What is one of the main purposes of the drive-line, to keep the RPMs of the engine in its powerband. Those massive 50,000-pound motorhomes traveling around the country are pushed through an Allison 6-speed.
A couple of lower ratio gears for a delivery vehicle makes sense, the vehicle is constantly launching and stopping seldom running, if ever, freeway speeds.
It wasn't long ago ZF published a white paper about the number of ideal gears in a transmission. The magic number was 8, it closely equaled the ability of a CVT. 8 speed transmissions give the best for delivery vehicles that constantly start and stop as well as those that cruise the freeways and interstates.
My driveline is an ISB mated to a 68RFE turning 3:42 ratio axels. Some would say I couldn't tow a wet noodle yet I can easily achieve 65MPH on an acceleration ramp while towing 16,000 pounds of RV. And when doing that, I can reference the RPM gauge and note how well the transmission programming keeps the engine in its powerband.

OP
OP
BillyGoat

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if you were me, would u just order a 22 with Aisin or wait??
My 17 PW is a 6 speed, but of course they changed to an 8 speed and from what I read the 8 is much better… gasser but not sure if that matters or not

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
My 17 PW is a 6 speed, but of course they changed to an 8 speed and from what I read the 8 is much better… gasser but not sure if that matters or not

Comparing apples to oranges really. The 1500's desperately needed the 8 speed as the old 6 speed was awful. I had a 2012 and that is what ultimately had me sell the truck. Same to be said with the Hemi powered HD's. For diesels, the Aisin is great as a 6 speed and I see no need for more gears. This is speaking from experience having a 2021 HO.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You didn't state your application of what the truck will be towing, how much weight, and freeway or in town, mountains, or a mix. You seemed to be fixed on an HO so I'm assuming you are going to be towing north of 10 tons and looking at a dually. The issue is, RAM may not offer a different transmission in the HOs, maybe just in the standard, we just don't know yet.

If your need for a diesel heavy puller is immediate then get what you can now, you can acquire a tow vehicle that you need or you can acquire one that you want and there is nothing wrong with either choice, don't let enthusiasm cloud your vision.

My son is a driveline engineer, I won't say for who, I don't want to jeopardize his career but I will ask him what is in the wind. You have to remember, COVID has derailed or alter many roll-out plans that were once on the books.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I like my Aisin...It's clunky shifting, noisy, and has a granny gear that is way too low for what I am doing with it...But dangit, I love that thing. It's truck...
Aisin and 4:10s puts me in 3rd gear before I get through intersections, puts a smile on my face every time. Low gear grunt is outta this world. Now to find the # for 4wd lockout kit(for low range use in 2wd). Anyone have the number handy? No way I am even close to maxing out this combo but I like everything overbuilt for the job. 16k is probably my heaviest tow for awhile......but I do this every other weekend with 14k and 12k loads during the week as well. It is definitely a truck.....and a nice one at that.

OP
OP
BillyGoat

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the market for a 5th wheel, 16k. SRW, no dually. I imagine the Aisin has better resale, unless others see different. Not many mountains here in MI, but would plan ahead for cross country trips.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In the market for a 5th wheel, 16k. SRW, no dually. I imagine the Aisin has better resale, unless others see different. Not many mountains here in MI, but would plan ahead for cross country trips.
If you look at the used listings for RAM Cummins, back when there was used vehicle availability, there was no pricing difference between the two transmissions. The only visible difference was the transmission dipstick location.
Now to find the # for 4wd lockout kit(for low range use in 2wd). Anyone have the number handy?
I have that installed, it sure makes maneuvering a 40 foot RV into a campsite much easier. The truck can easily move at engine idle, no power surges from having to use the accelerator, I just ride the brake pedal.

Can't recall the part number but it was made by BD Diesel.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I like my Aisin...It's clunky shifting, noisy, and has a granny gear that is way too low for what I am doing with it...But dangit, I love that thing.
If the ZF is the 8spd that drops into the HD truck the first gear is an automatic creeper gear, then there's second which will be equivalent to 1st in the Aisin. The ZF is light years ahead of the Aisin, it will shift under load and you'll barely know it did. This notion of trucks having to be noisy and clunky needs to go away like the dinosaurs.
Aisin and 4:10s puts me in 3rd gear before I get through intersections, puts a smile on my face every time. Low gear grunt is outta this world.
Your half way out gears and your saying the transmission doesn't need anymore, figured with that situation you would want more. More gears in the transmission equates to less shifting of the transmission.

Keep in mind that all the manufacturers don't unleash all the torque grunt of the engine at the lower speeds. Especially now the the diesels topping 1K ft/lbs of torque, if there wasn't torque management the blown transmissions would stack up like cord wood. As one Cummins engineer explained, "when there's a transmission that can handle the torque, we already have the answer for it."

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I am glad I have the Aisin, as I am pretty confident in their longevity, but I have to admit it is a clangin', bangin' stumblebum in operation. I get the 2-1 slam shift, sometimes accompanied by the false neutral revving of the engine before it drops the hammer. I also get a tremendous shudder on the 2-3 upshift with a heavy trailer behind it that really pizzes my wife off. I don't subscribe to the "as many gears as possible" club, but I do think the 8 speed Powerline with second gear start and skip shifting would yield substantially better performance AND better MPG with all else the same. It's time to step it up.

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wouldn’t get too excited about Allison. It’s not the Allison of old, basically a GM trans they swap Allison on. I’ve seen reports of a lot of issues with them.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called my local dealer today and was informed the 22 HO Aisin trans was still a 6 speed. Can anybody confirm this? Heard rumors they will coming out with a 8 speed.. wanting to trade my PW, but waiting on the upgrade if the rumors are true…
There will not be a new trans until new cab. ‘23 or later

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You didn't state your application of what the truck will be towing, how much weight, and freeway or in town, mountains, or a mix. You seemed to be fixed on an HO so I'm assuming you are going to be towing north of 10 tons and looking at a dually. The issue is, RAM may not offer a different transmission in the HOs, maybe just in the standard, we just don't know yet.

If your need for a diesel heavy puller is immediate then get what you can now, you can acquire a tow vehicle that you need or you can acquire one that you want and there is nothing wrong with either choice, don't let enthusiasm cloud your vision.

My son is a driveline engineer, I won't say for who, I don't want to jeopardize his career but I will ask him what is in the wind. You have to remember, COVID has derailed or alter many roll-out plans that were once on the books.
New trans will be across the board. The 6 speeds are gone

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t get too excited about Allison. It’s not the Allison of old, basically a GM trans they swap Allison on. I’ve seen reports of a lot of issues with them.
Wrong. The Allison 9 speed is 100% designed and built by Allison. The “Allison” in the GM trucks right now, the 10 speed, is a GM and Ford designed, GM built transmission, that GM is paying Allison however much to slap the Allison name on it.

Ram would not have the 10 speed, it will (hopefully) be the 9 speed.