2022 Ram 2500 TD limited winch wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hitekcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does a medium size winch draw too many amps to be able to connect the winch to an auxiliary switch? I am referring to the Aux. plugs under the hood.
Reason I ask because I would like to have a winch just in case but do not want to replace my beautiful front 2 tone bumper with some Black giant ugly winch bumper then have to do the same on the rear.

I installed a front hitch receiver. I also have a winch I installed on a portable winch mount that slides into the front receiver, At this point if I wanted to use the winch after installing it in the front receiver I either have to use a separate battery or put alligator clips on the wires and attach them to one of my batteries.
Any Suggestions?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does a medium size winch draw too many amps to be able to connect the winch to an auxiliary switch? I am referring to the Aux. plugs under the hood.
More than likely yes, those Aux circuits are good for about 30 amps,
Pre-wire the truck with wire sized for the winch and have high current battery plugs at both front and rear of the truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There is no winch made that you can run off that switch, at load most are pulling 3-400 amps. Put in 2 gauge welding cable to the battery and connect to that.

Warn Transformer winch mount solves the issue of replacing the bumper. This one is packing a 16,500 pound winch. These trucks weigh north of 8000 pounds with not much in them, small winches are not going to do much and reciever mounted winch with a snatch block pulling to the side will bend a lot of stuff.

1674025083260.png

Last edited:

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
For as little as you will probably use the winch, I like the idea of just
slipping the winch into the receiver, and use heavy wire, #4 will work
just fine. A good set of jumper cables will work well. Then you can use
the winch front or back, and just connect direct to the battery under the hood.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re going to use a basket hitch mount, I wouldn’t do anything but a straight line pull. Still that’s a lot of force and pressure being placed on one little pin. Then the lateral leverage placed on the frame when pulling to the side.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you’re going to use a basket hitch mount, I wouldn’t do anything but a straight line pull. Still that’s a lot of force and pressure being placed on one little pin. Then the lateral leverage placed on the frame when pulling to the side.
Spot on. I have seen rear receiver hitches completely destroyed by using a winch in them on high angle pulls. Rarely is the tree you want to pull to straight ahead or behind you. You will need snatch blocks to correct the pull angles.