2022 ram Uconnect Screen unresponsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rworch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a brand new 2022 Dodge Laramie GT Night Edition. The 12" Uconnect screen only works about 50% of the time. Usually in very hot weather or after driving for 20 minutes the screen becomes unresponsive. I can't press any buttons on the touch screen. Sometimes the screen will go completely black. The only way to get it working is a hard reset or sometimes just turning the truck off and back on. I have brought the truck in twice to the dealership but they can't find any fault codes. I showed them multiple videos I have taken showing how it doesn't work properly. Dodge refused to replace since the dealership can't replicate the problem. Every time I bring the truck in, the dealership has it for 3-4 days and says the same thing. It is a giant hassle. I wouldn't bring in a truck that worked properly. I feel like the only thing that will work is for them to replace it completely. What are my options. Has anyone else had this same issue and got a resolution?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You read about these kind of varied issues with the uConnect system all the time. It's much more common than it should be. IMO, they have some serious quality issues at wherever they build those entertainment systems. Looks like we are finally going to get Chrysler to replace the uConnect system in my wife's 21 Ltd Pacifica. Owned it a year now. But we can demonstrate the problem to the dealer, so in a better position.

I feel terrible for you. Has to be very frustrating. I don't know what to recommend. Hard to fight "the system" if they are stiff arming you like that. Have you been in contact with corporate uConnect? That's what we did, and they seem to pushing the dealer to do the right thing.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a brand new 2022 Dodge Laramie GT Night Edition. The 12" Uconnect screen only works about 50% of the time. Usually in very hot weather or after driving for 20 minutes the screen becomes unresponsive. I can't press any buttons on the touch screen. Sometimes the screen will go completely black. The only way to get it working is a hard reset or sometimes just turning the truck off and back on. I have brought the truck in twice to the dealership but they can't find any fault codes. I showed them multiple videos I have taken showing how it doesn't work properly. Dodge refused to replace since the dealership can't replicate the problem. Every time I bring the truck in, the dealership has it for 3-4 days and says the same thing. It is a giant hassle. I wouldn't bring in a truck that worked properly. I feel like the only thing that will work is for them to replace it completely. What are my options. Has anyone else had this same issue and got a resolution?

Keep checking if there is an update.
They aren't going to replace it. it's software issue.

Even my Rebel 21 does that sometimes. Not as bad as new one though.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep checking if there is an update.
They aren't going to replace it. it's software issue.

Even my Rebel 21 does that sometimes. Not as bad as new one though.
Sounds more like a heat issue than a SW issue.

ScottU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I have the same issue with my 22 Big Horn the Uconnect radio is trash and nobody seems to want to help. It's funny how this problem has gone on for so long and there isn't a permanent fix. All I keep hearing is it's a firmware update but how bad is the issue that they can't fix a problem that has been going on for years. I feel your pain.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
My 2022 2500 Laramie has been hit or miss on the radio. Uconnect is definitely the WORST thing about my truck. Tired of restarting, factory resetting, deleting and adding phone, Bluetooth etc. RAM got VERY BAD reviews from me on the “infotainment“ section.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 21 pacifica, and a 22 2500. I havent had any issues with my truck as of yet, but my pacifica's uconnect 5 series system doesnt always come back up if I do a shut down and then immediately restart the car. Reading on the pacifca blogs, this isnt a one off issue for sure. Most people from what I have read, ended up getting the entire unit swapped to affect a fix for the most part. Problem is these days the radio's are hard to come by, and you might end up waiting for some time to get a replacement.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a brand new 2022 Dodge Laramie GT Night Edition. The 12" Uconnect screen only works about 50% of the time. Usually in very hot weather or after driving for 20 minutes the screen becomes unresponsive. I can't press any buttons on the touch screen. Sometimes the screen will go completely black. The only way to get it working is a hard reset or sometimes just turning the truck off and back on. I have brought the truck in twice to the dealership but they can't find any fault codes.
I also have a 12" 2022 Uconnect and I am one of the lucky ones that have zero issues with it. I can only assume the Uconnect software is stable and your issue is hardware related. A counter-response to "no codes" is, "it is likely no code set trap is in the software that can detect and report this issue".

I had a random issue once, like you, the dealer constantly reported "can duplicate customer concern" or "working as designed". One day, I wasn't too far from the dealer and the problem popped up, I was able to get the truck to them and they were able to witness it. Good luck, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

Ron T 1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2022 Limited is doing this also. It did happen at the dealer too. Taking it in tomorrow to see if they can find the problem.

smarquez817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 with the same issue. Screen locks up etc.
I took it in to the dealer and their first response was that it is caused by Iphones!
Really?!?! Has anyone else heard of this? They are going to run diags on the system

Scott Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are we all going to have to do a class action to get this fixed? Come on FCA.. you know you have a problem

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
mine gets weird sometimes too. first time I plugged in my 5th wheel the screen went blank. tried a lot of things to get it back on. nothing worked but after the second shutdown for fuel the screen came back on when starting up. on one trip the screen went black as soon as I plugged something into the 12v outlet at the top of the dash. no rhyme or reason.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A QUESTION: for all you U Connect 5 guys. My neighbor has a 2023 with the 8.4 U Con 5 in it. He needed some music cut to USB's so I had him get 32G and I cut the music to a USB for him from CD's etc. NE way, went to show him how to use: I plugged in the USB to the right USB "A" in front lower center console and the system "DOES" not see/read it. Plugged it into the left USB, AND the system SAW it and the 8.4 screen showed USB 1 symbol on left side. FIRST time I have seen U Con 5, as I have a 19 with U Con 4. so QUESTION: On the U Con 5 systems, are the center hubs just set up to read from the left side USB???

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A QUESTION: for all you U Connect 5 guys. My neighbor has a 2023 with the 8.4 U Con 5 in it. He needed some music cut to USB's so I had him get 32G and I cut the music to a USB for him from CD's etc. NE way, went to show him how to use: I plugged in the USB to the right USB "A" in front lower center console and the system "DOES" not see/rear it. Plugged it into the left USB, AND the system SAW it and the 8.4 screen showed USB 1 symbol on left side. FIRST time I have seen U Con 5, as I have a 19 with U Con 4. so QUESTION: On the U Con 5 systems, are the center hubs just set up to read from the left side USB???
No. I have the 12" UC5 in my 22, and it will read from either. I always have USB drives plugged into both. My UC5 has been a pretty solid unit so far, knock on wood.

But the wife's 21 Pacifica UC5 system had issues with the USB readers like that. We finally got them to replace the system and all has been good since.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. I have the 12" UC5 in my 22, and it will read from either. I always have USB drives plugged into both. My UC5 has been a pretty solid unit so far, knock on wood.

But the wife's 21 Pacifica UC5 system had issues with the USB readers like that. We finally got them to replace the system and all has been good since.
What do you mean by replace the system? Replace the lil USB hub module in the dashboard? IS it possible it is not enabled? Or somehow not configured and only charge? I did not have a lot of time to play nor did I feel like going through the whole U Con 5 manual.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What do you mean by replace the system? Replace the lil USB hub module in the dashboard? IS it possible it is not enabled? Or somehow not configured and only charge? I did not have a lot of time to play nor did I feel like going through the whole U Con 5 manual.
No, they replaced the head unit, not the USB ports. It would show songs as playing from USB1 when they were actually on USB2. It would sometimes only recognize one of the 2 as being plugged in. It would often times not see the right number of songs loaded (it would show 200 and there were 2000, stuff like that). It was really wonky with USB stuff. Had a couple of other quirks not USB related too.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, they replaced the head unit, not the USB ports. It would show songs as playing from USB1 when they were actually on USB2. It would sometimes only recognize one of the 2 as being plugged in. It would often times not see the right number of songs loaded (it would show 200 and there were 2000, stuff like that). It was really wonky with USB stuff. Had a couple of other quirks not USB related too.
OK, I like U may be picky, but I know my neighbor, being an older Nam Vet, just not gonna be that picky.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It was not easy to get the dealer to replace the head unit. 2 Star Cases, sat for several weeks at the dealer while they "worked" on it. Wife is a bit of a pit bull about that stuff though, which you kind of have to be these days for stuff like that, unfortunately.

Verovette82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2022 Limited is doing this also. It did happen at the dealer too. Taking it in tomorrow to see if they can find the problem.
I too have a 22 1500 limited. Totally unresponsive screen that’s happened twice. Hoping tomorrow on a start it will right itself?