2023 2500 6.4 - instrument cluster self adjusts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldSchoolTrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Cold morning, remote started.
Defrosters, heated seat and steering wheel on and heading to work.
2 minutes into the drive and the A/C turns on as well...?
Comfort control does not respond.
2 minutes later, it shuts off (assuming it finally acknowledges that I pushed the off button).
Reset the heat (selected the appropriate settings again) and things turn back to normal.
Took it to the Ram dealer, they could not duplicate.
Also, 1 out of every 20 times I start the vehicle, the display (visible through the steering wheel) that usually says Bighorn... shows 1500. That's fine I guess, but I have a 2500.
Looking for answers.
Thanks in advance!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cold morning, remote started.
Defrosters, heated seat and steering wheel on and heading to work.
2 minutes into the drive and the A/C turns on as well...?
Comfort control does not respond.
2 minutes later, it shuts off (assuming it finally acknowledges that I pushed the off button).
Reset the heat (selected the appropriate settings again) and things turn back to normal.
Took it to the Ram dealer, they could not duplicate.
Also, 1 out of every 20 times I start the vehicle, the display (visible through the steering wheel) that usually says Bighorn... shows 1500. That's fine I guess, but I have a 2500.
Looking for answers.
Thanks in advance!
the ac comes on with the defroster. Can’t explain other issues.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Once in a while when I push the button to start mine, for a split second it will say "1500" on the EVIC (that's the screen you see through the steering wheel). I don't know why it does it, and I have to be looking at it when it does it because it never lasts for more than a half second. EVIC stands for Electronic Vehicle Information Center.

OP
OP
O

OldSchoolTrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Once in a while when I push the button to start mine, for a split second it will say "1500" on the EVIC (that's the screen you see through the steering wheel). I don't know why it does it, and I have to be looking at it when it does it because it never lasts for more than a half second. EVIC stands for Electronic Vehicle Information Center.
I can't explain my truck's issues, but it's driving me a little nuts... given it's only 10 months old.
The 1500 display has to be a programming error and I assume my main instrument display has an electrical short or overload when it's cold outside and several heating options are selected.
Now I just wish I could get someone from Dodge/Ram to help me repair it.
Local dealer couldn't duplicate it nor anyone from Dodge will get back with me.
I'm a frustrated, yet loyal Dodge owner.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't explain my truck's issues, but it's driving me a little nuts... given it's only 10 months old.
The 1500 display has to be a programming error and I assume my main instrument display has an electrical short or overload when it's cold outside and several heating options are selected.

Could you possibly record it on video, using your phone?

The condition would be best described with video evidence and the dealership may have to make more of an effort.

And, chrome_image_Nov. 16, 2023 4_51_54 a.m. EST.png to Ram Forum. :cool:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck may be acting as intended. I see you have a 2023. If it’s a high end model there are a lot of automated systems on the upper trim packages. Aside from the 1500 being displayed on your EVIC your “climate control” system sounds likes it’s doing the same as mine does. As another poster mentioned the AC runs with the defrost on these new trucks. If you have a high end model you most likely have a humidity sensor for the windshield. On the daily routine you describe in your opening comment your truck isn’t warm enough to defrost the windshield. You get in and start driving adding to the humidity in the cab by breathing. At some point down the road the truck reached a temp where defrost becomes useable and it starts blowing. You try to turn it off but that humidity sensor tells the climate control system that it’s dangerous to have a foggy windshield so it doesn’t allow the operation for a few seconds/minutes. After you manually override everything it’s all up to normal operating temperature and good to go. The behavior you describe sounds pretty normal. That little AUTO button on the climate system thinks it’s smarter than you. You can experiment with this if you turn off your remote start convenience settings. No defrost, no heated seats or wheel and just go old school where you have control over the bells and whistles.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No, the A/C is not on when I leave.
It comes on while driving... all by itself.
If you have a humidity sensor like I do, then yes, the A/C will kick on with the defroster from time to time. I have the 'auto' climate control that I usually leave it in, but when I need to switch it to just defrosters on those cold days, the a/c is also automatically on - dry air actually defrosts better than moist air, so they run the air through the a/c condenser as well as the heater core because it dries the air out. So that part is normal.

I've yet to see my instrument cluster display 1500, it's only ever shown Bighorn, but then I have a '22 so perhaps it is a programming change.

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
i am betting you have the 12" screen U-5 .. mine is a 1500, 5 months old, 3,000 miles .. despite the fact i have saved my profile MANY times, every time i start my Laramie the 12" screen comes up in a different configuration, sometimes with no Navigation and/or FM radio or USB stick or heated seats/steering wheel will not work ..... it is a crap shoot how my screen displays ... for $70,000 Ram could have found a better system than U-Connect 5

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have a humidity sensor like I do, then yes, the A/C will kick on with the defroster from time to time. I have the 'auto' climate control that I usually leave it in, but when I need to switch it to just defrosters on those cold days, the a/c is also automatically on - dry air actually defrosts better than moist air, so they run the air through the a/c condenser as well as the heater core because it dries the air out. So that part is normal.

I've yet to see my instrument cluster display 1500, it's only ever shown Bighorn, but then I have a '22 so perhaps it is a programming change.
My 2018 would do that. I would be driving along with just the vent blowing air and the AC would automatically turn on. It was either raining or really humid outside. So it's not just defrost it will also do it for regular vent air.

OP
OP
O

OldSchoolTrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your truck may be acting as intended. I see you have a 2023. If it’s a high end model there are a lot of automated systems on the upper trim packages. Aside from the 1500 being displayed on your EVIC your “climate control” system sounds likes it’s doing the same as mine does. As another poster mentioned the AC runs with the defrost on these new trucks. If you have a high end model you most likely have a humidity sensor for the windshield. On the daily routine you describe in your opening comment your truck isn’t warm enough to defrost the windshield. You get in and start driving adding to the humidity in the cab by breathing. At some point down the road the truck reached a temp where defrost becomes useable and it starts blowing. You try to turn it off but that humidity sensor tells the climate control system that it’s dangerous to have a foggy windshield so it doesn’t allow the operation for a few seconds/minutes. After you manually override everything it’s all up to normal operating temperature and good to go. The behavior you describe sounds pretty normal. That little AUTO button on the climate system thinks it’s smarter than you. You can experiment with this if you turn off your remote start convenience settings. No defrost, no heated seats or wheel and just go old school where you have control over the bells and whistles.
Thanks for the reply. It's a bighorn, so no idea if this qualifies as a high end model.
The comfort settings (winter time heating) seem to work ok for a couple minutes, but then the A/C also kicks on by itself and no controls will respond to touch for a few minutes. I'll have to look into this humidity sensor option/theory and see if it applies to my truck.
Just want the damn thing to function correctly/normally. Definitely do not want to shut off the defroster via remote start for midwest winter scenarios.
Thanks again

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the reply. It's a bighorn, so no idea if this qualifies as a high end model.
The comfort settings (winter time heating) seem to work ok for a couple minutes, but then the A/C also kicks on by itself and no controls will respond to touch for a few minutes. I'll have to look into this humidity sensor option/theory and see if it applies to my truck.
Just want the damn thing to function correctly/normally. Definitely do not want to shut off the defroster via remote start for midwest winter scenarios.
Thanks again
If nothing is working when you touch it for a few minutes, then you DO have an issue and that doesn't sound normal.

A Bighorn isn't a higher end model but there are some features like the auto climate that are available on it - I have it. I also have the 12" touch screen controls.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have a humidity sensor like I do, then yes, the A/C will kick on with the defroster from time to time.
whether the vehicle has a humidity sensor or not, I don't think there's a vehicle out there that does not enable the AC when the defrosters are selected. The dash may not display that the AC is enabled but it is.
Same goes for the recirc mode, once the defrosters are selected the recirc mode is disabled.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
whether the vehicle has a humidity sensor or not, I don't think there's a vehicle out there that does not enable the AC when the defrosters are selected. The dash may not display that the AC is enabled but it is.
Same goes for the recirc mode, once the defrosters are selected the recirc mode is disabled.
It has always been my assumption that the A/C comes on when the defrost is selected. A/C is what dries the air.

TNGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tradesman Reg Cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The AC has come on in my Tradesman on its own before--most recently yesterday when it was raining. The AC light did not come on, but when I toggled the AC button, it went on then off--and when it went off, so did the AC.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If you drive with your windows up for any extended period of time the truck will turn on the vent on it's own for a short cycle. Just to cycle in some fresh air.

OP
OP
O

OldSchoolTrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If nothing is working when you touch it for a few minutes, then you DO have an issue and that doesn't sound normal.

A Bighorn isn't a higher end model but there are some features like the auto climate that are available on it - I have it. I also have the 12" touch screen controls.
I managed to get some info out of a gal at the dealership. The 12" instrument cluster appears to be having more and more issues across dodge dealers & stellantis here in the US. There's no fix yet and I still need to get this to duplicate at the dealership or on video... for any further assistance from dodge (I get it, but still bs having to deal with this on a 10 month old truck). It's not throwing any codes or warning lights, which is an additional problem/delay in finding the root cause or getting closer to a properly functioning instrument panel. It's like an electrical or software issue within the instrument cluster.