2023 ram 1500 tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bbbking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorgue
When towing a trailer at around 60 mph, the truck periodically feels like it’s hydro plaining. The tire size is 285/45 r22 114H Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tires. Max load 2601 lbs at max pressure 50 psi. From research, it looks like if I find a tire with a higher load range or more ply’s, it would resolve this issue…is that true? Also from research, I haven’t found a replacement tire that has a higher load range, any recommendations?

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How much weight are you pulling? Are you using a WDH? Sounds to me like your front tires are light due to the truck squatting. If that is the case, changing tires won't help. You need to shift weight back onto your front end.
This. If you're using a WDH, make sure it's been properly set up for your load but it absolutely sounds like too much weight on the rear end.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The same could hold true if the WDH is over adjusted, the rear end will float as the trailer bounces.
As for the tires, look on TireRack.com as there is XL load range tires available for the 22"s on the truck. Even the stock load tires have enough load capacity for whatever the truck is rated to pull. The problem is more than likely how the weight is distributed and not so much tire load.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Too much hitch weight, lifting your front end up and you're losing traction.

Roadtripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had very similar experiences several times with the all-seasons that came with the truck when pulling my travel trailer. A vehicle passing the truck & trailer would also throw the truck all over the lane. Never noticed the problem with the truck only (no travel trailer). Increasing tire pressure made not difference. The sidewalls were just to soft for trailering. I switched to an all-terrain and eliminated the problem. To my surprise the all-terrain ran quieter and smoother. I suspect you could also eliminate the problem with an extra load rated tire, but you may notice a little more noise.
Replaced Bridgestone Dualer H/L with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure (275/55r/20).

I always used a WDH with the trailer.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP posted this and never came back. Wonder what he ever found out.
Happens all the time. Someone asks a question, 10 people give the best advice they can, then that person just evaporates. It would help everyone if they just came back and let people know if anything worked. You know, so if it happens to someone else we already have an answer.