2024 Ram Bighorn with Cummins diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirduke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just bought brand new 2024 bighorn with i6 diesel. It has 61 miles on odometer. I when to start and it took forever to start, when it did it nearly cut out backing out of driveway. Once I started driving it was jerking and lunging. I drove it about 3 miles turned around and went back home. Cut of and restarted couple of times and it takes forever for motor to turn over. Anyone experienced something like this

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Could be a lot of things, but with the weather getting colder it could be diesel fuel issue. Have you put any additives in the tank yet?

OP
OP
S

Sirduke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just bought it Saturday, I drove it home that's it. I had a 2019 and did not ever have this happen. I live in VA, it gets cold but not crazy cold

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
If it were me, I'd drop some anti-gel in it just to rule out that as a factor. A bad source of diesel fuel can make any diesel engine run like crap tbh. Hope that's all it is for you. I had a diesel years back when temps dropped rapidly and fuel gelled up. Wouldn't do anything but idle. Died out when you pressed down on the peddle. Dumped some anti-gell in it and let it idle for about 30 min and cleared it right up.

I'm sure there are a lot of preferences on what to use, but I just use what Walmart, or local auto parts store sells. Have had luck with Lucas anti-gel myself. I tried to get some extra the other day and was hardly any selection on the shelf though. I'm sure it's an area supply thing, and Memphis area has a ton of warehouses, shipping, air, etc going on. Especially with FedEx hub here.

If you get any error codes share them on this forum and there's a bunch of help here.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Also, if you did a few starts in a row and didn't get any real drive time you may want to put a charger on the batteries for now. Just to top them back off till you get time to get it back out there on the road.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I just bought it Saturday, I drove it home that's it. I had a 2019 and did not ever have this happen. I live in VA, it gets cold but not crazy cold
Do you have a Bio diesel mandate in VA? If so once it gets below 30 degrees you can start to have minor problems if its not treated or with cut with #1 diesel. Also another problems with Bio diesel is you can have alga problems and with that truck just coming from MX with MX diesel who knows how good that fuel is that was in the tank so it may be a very good idea to drain the filter under the hood into a clear bottle and see if it has water in it or if the fuel looks gunky...

OP
OP
S

Sirduke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just bought brand new 2024 bighorn with i6 diesel. It has 61 miles on odometer. I when to start and it took forever to start, when it did it nearly cut out backing out of driveway. Once I started driving it was jerking and lunging. I drove it about 3 miles turned around and went back home. Cut of and restarted couple of times and it takes forever for motor to turn over. Anyone experienced something like this
So got update. Salesperson put 21 gallons of GAS in tank when topping off. Dealership has given me a brand new truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Salesperson put 21 gallons of GAS in tank when topping off. Dealership has given me a brand new truck.
It's good they put you in a new truck. The correct repair would have been a new HPFP and set of injectors along with a fuel system flush w/new filters.
The next owner of that truck may not even know what happened and the dealership will probably try to get away with just a flush

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So got update. Salesperson put 21 gallons of GAS in tank when topping off. Dealership has given me a brand new truck.
I knew a guy who did that when I worked for Fish & Wildlife. He and another guy had to drive from N. CA to Oregon to pick up a piece of equipment. On the way back they stopped at the CA/OR border to fuel up and one of them put gas in it. They got about a block down the street and it quit. It was 8 PM. They had to catch a motel for the night, then twiddle their thumbs for 2 days while it got fixed.

OP
OP
S

Sirduke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's good they put you in a new truck. The correct repair would have been a new HPFP and set of injectors along with a fuel system flush w/new filters.
The next owner of that truck may not even know what happened and the dealership will probably try to get away with just a flush
Service dept were trying the push flush method with me, but I knew more than they figured and started rattling of everything that could be wrong. But I'm friendly with head sales lady, she just asked which color new truck I wanted

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like Dealership Took Great Care of You. Got U another brand new truck, hopefully filled with Diesel this time. G/L on yer brand brand new ride.

bulldog1891

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7,cummins 6.7
I knew a guy who did that when I worked for Fish & Wildlife. He and another guy had to drive from N. CA to Oregon to pick up a piece of equipment. On the way back they stopped at the CA/OR border to fuel up and one of them put gas in it. They got about a block down the street and it quit. It was 8 PM. They had to catch a motel for the night, then twiddle their thumbs for 2 days while it got fixed.
I don't know what happened with your buddy and his buddy but if you're getting fuel in Oregon Or New Jersey, make sure you watch the fuel attendants since THEY SAY you're not allowed to pump your own fuel. Flipping ridiculous law in my opinion.