22" to 18"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all
When I bought by 2020 Laramie there were certain options I had to have and a few I didn't want. One of those items I really didn't want are 22" wheels. While I like the look of the stock 22s i just don't like the tires and there are very few options should i want to go a size taller 285-50 vs the stock 285-45. I like the Toyo AT3s but they are on back order with no restock date and I want to get rid of the current tires before winter.
I keep finding the aluminum Rebel wheels for sale and I really like them (I like OEM stuff). Tires are much cheaper for the 18" rim and many options.
Question for this group is will I have issues with either TPM or speedometer by changing from 22-18? Diameter of the tires remains the same.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I changed from 22 to 18 for winter. OEM tradesman wheels. No speedo issues at all…….TPMS picked up right away and all is good. All safety things, adaptive cruise control etc work as expected.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As said previously, as long as the overall diameter of the tires stays the same, your speedo should stay accurate.

Something else to mention; even though you did say you like the OEM stuff and if you do end up getting a set of used Rebel wheels, you might want to find out beforehand what type of wheel sensors you have. I’m pretty sure the sensors in your wheels are probably the same as the later-year 4th-GENs and totally not like the wheel sensors that was in my old 08 where the valve stem was rigid and was part of the sensor that had a curve in it to match the profile of the wheel but, it doesn’t hurt to check. Who knows, you might even be able to reuse your same sensors with your new wheels.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can reuse your factory sensors on another set of wheels. But it does require a rebuild for each sensor. Tires shops charge a minimal fee per sensor to do this. Or you can buy new sensors if you want to keep the sensors with the original wheels (like I did). And like corneileous said, as long as the tire diameter remains the same as stock, your speedo and odometer will be accurate. There are online tire size calculators for determining tire diameter based on tire size. I use this one...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can reuse your factory sensors on another set of wheels. But it does require a rebuild for each sensor. Tires shops charge a minimal fee per sensor to do this. Or you can buy new sensors if you want to keep the sensors with the original wheels (like I did). And like corneileous said, as long as the tire diameter remains the same as stock, your speedo and odometer will be accurate. There are online tire size calculators for determining tire diameter based on tire size. I use this one...
Being that it’s that new of a truck, I don’t see why you would need a rebuild kit for the sensors unless perhaps since the valve stem seats inside the stem hole just like a regular valve stem, you may not be able to remove the valve stem without destroying it.

At least one thing about it though, if this is what the tire pressure sensors look like then you wouldn’t have to worry about replacing them for ones that are made for an 18 inch wheel like the sensors are, I’m pretty sure, in the old third gens.

Attachments

• A066CC10-765E-4ABE-B1B3-2105ADDDFC2D.jpeg
    A066CC10-765E-4ABE-B1B3-2105ADDDFC2D.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Being that it’s that new of a truck, I don’t see why you would need a rebuild kit for the sensors unless perhaps since the valve stem seats inside the stem hole just like a regular valve stem, you may not be able to remove the valve stem without destroying it.

At least one thing about it though, if this is what the tire pressure sensors look like then you wouldn’t have to worry about replacing them for ones that are made for an 18 inch wheel like the sensors are, I’m pretty sure, in the old third gens.
Age isn't the issue. It normally damages or destroys the rubber valve stem when they remove them. The rebuild kit is a new rubber section.

They don't have different sensors for different size wheels, at least for 5th gens. He can use the sensors from his factory 22's in 18's with no issues. I have no idea about 3rd gen sensors so I can't speak for those.

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the input. Just located a set of takeoffs with tires. Hope to pick them up this week and mount them this weekend.
The new set has the sensors so I should be good.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the input. Just located a set of takeoffs with tires. Hope to pick them up this week and mount them this weekend.
The new set has the sensors so I should be good.
I don’t know, it might be in a couple years once I get the truck paid for but if I ever get new wheels, I’ve been contemplating the idea of dropping down to maybe an 18 being that I’ve been told they will ride smoother than the 20s. Although I have never driven one or even ridden in the same truck as mine that was equipped with the coil ride suspension but I’m almost convinced that that air ride of mine probably makes my truck ride a little stiffer than it would with conventional coil springs just because of how my air ride is progressive to the amount of weight that it is carrying.

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My concern going to the 18s is that they are a 10 Ply (Load Range E) tire which weigh a lot more and will be stiffer. I can always go back to the 22s if i don’t like them. I will try and update the thread to share my experience if interested

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My concern going to the 18s is that they are a 10 Ply (Load Range E) tire which weigh a lot more and will be stiffer. I can always go back to the 22s if i don’t like them. I will try and update the thread to share my experience if interested
Yeah, there is that but don’t let that spoil your new wheels because you can get 18s probably in that size that aren’t a 10 ply tire. Depending on how good of shape those rebel tires are in, you might be able to sell them for quite a bit of money and if you like the wheels, you could probably even sell your original 22s together or separate from your current tires depending on how good of shape those are in. I don’t know how many miles are on your new rebel tires or your current tires but when I got rid of the Goodyear SRA 20 inch tires that came brand new on my truck, granted, they only had about maybe 1600 miles on them but I got rid of them for almost 400 bucks for the set.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No, you are misinformed. Many of the common AT tires that people on this site buy can be had in 6 ply as well as 10 ply. In fact, some are even available in 4 ply. The AT tires I recently put on my Limited are 4 ply. They ride just as smoothly as the factory original 22" Goodyears that came on the truck. I considered that I really don't intend to take this truck off-road so I went with the 4 ply AT tires. In case anyone is wondering, they are Les Schwab Open Range Offroad tires, made by Mazama Tires for Les Schwab. And are available in 4, 6, and 10 ply. Of course the different load ranges are dependent on tire size. The tires I bought are 275/65/18.

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i check tire specs, certain sizes only come 1 way. I can only find 285/50/22 in Load Range E for example in name brand tire. Never heard of Mazama tires here in NY (they may be great) but I like to stick with brands I have experience with.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, you are misinformed. Many of the common AT tires that people on this site buy can be had in 6 ply as well as 10 ply. In fact, some are even available in 4 ply. The AT tires I recently put on my Limited are 4 ply. They ride just as smoothly as the factory original 22" Goodyears that came on the truck. I considered that I really don't intend to take this truck off-road so I went with the 4 ply AT tires. In case anyone is wondering, they are Les Schwab Open Range Offroad tires, made by Mazama Tires for Les Schwab. And are available in 4, 6, and 10 ply. Of course the different load ranges are dependent on tire size. The tires I bought are 275/65/18.
I don’t think he’s misinformed if the rebel wheels he bought come complete with the original rebel tires because the last I heard, those were indeed a 10 ply tire which is why the recommended air pressures for the rebel are like over 45 pounds of pressure.

Of course you can get tires with an all-terrain tread that aren’t 10 ply or 8 ply but that’s not the case here.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i check tire specs, certain sizes only come 1 way. I can only find 285/50/22 in Load Range E for example in name brand tire. Never heard of Mazama tires here in NY (they may be great) but I like to stick with brands I have experience with.
Being that whether or not through the years if the tire sizes have stayed the same between the older rebels and the newer rebels, what’s the tire size on those Rebel wheels you’re looking at getting?

OP
OP
Ken W

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The newer Rebels come with 275/70/18 - Goodyear Duratracs which are indeed Load Range E. Most tires in that size are load range E. General makes a few that are not as does Good Year.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The newer Rebels come with 275/70/18 - Goodyear Duratracs which are indeed Load Range E. Most tires in that size are load range E. General makes a few that are not as does Good Year.
Yeah, I went on tire rack and saw that out of all the tires they had in that size, only like two of them were a non-light truck tire but, you’re wanting to compare those 18 inch rebel tire’s sizes to your stock tires which are those 285/50/22s, correct? I tried like four or five alternate tire sizes in an 18 that was really close to what your stock tire size is and everything else I found was all light truck.

But I guess thanks for the opportunity because that pretty much rules out my possible idea in the future of ever dropping down to an 18!from my 20s if pretty much all I have to choose from is them rock hard E’s… Lol.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t think he’s misinformed if the rebel wheels he bought come complete with the original rebel tires because the last I heard, those were indeed a 10 ply tire which is why the recommended air pressures for the rebel are like over 45 pounds of pressure.

Of course you can get tires with an all-terrain tread that aren’t 10 ply or 8 ply but that’s not the case here.
You're right that Rebels come with 10 ply tires. I misread his post, and thought he was thinking that all AT tires are 10 ply. It seems to be a common misconception people have. I've corrected several people where I work about that. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're right that Rebels come with 10 ply tires. I misread his post, and thought he was thinking that all AT tires are 10 ply. It seems to be a common misconception people have. I've corrected several people where I work about that. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Its cool man, no worries…

Who knows, maybe they think that just because pretty much all 35s are 10 ply that all off-road tires of any size are the same way.

MrKelly

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 ETorque
Just added these today as a Veteran deal. Came out to $1234.23 for all four.

6DD1CE3C-B16F-4218-87C0-537A6D8EF5E3.png