2500 Cummins 4x4 not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
No it’s a 2022 longhorn limited with 7900 miles on it. Traded in the 2018. The dealership here has 1 diesel mechanic so I typically have to wait 2 months for any kind of service and even then it gets done half assed.

OP
OP
T

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Update - dealer found the issue. The shaft from the transfer case that goes into front differential is stripped out. They said they think the part was flawed as the truck only has 7900 miles on it. All covered thankfully under warranty. I just hope that the front diff is really okay. They said it is.

Having new tires thrown on while parts are on their way. I live near the Canadian border in the middle of nowhere North Dakota so we will see how long it takes get the parts lol.

OP
OP
T

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Another Update - dealer told me parts came in and to pick up truck today. Got there and they told me they took it on a test drive and the front differential locked up because it was too low on fluid. There were no leaks. They said it must have come that way from the factory. They finally agreed to give me a loner truck.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Another Update - dealer told me parts came in and to pick up truck today. Got there and they told me they took it on a test drive and the front differential locked up because it was too low on fluid. There were no leaks. They said it must have come that way from the factory. They finally agreed to give me a loner truck.

If it was low when sold that tells me the selling dealer did not do a proper PDI on the truck that they get paid by FCA to perform, during the PDI all fluid should be checked including diff oil, transfer case if 4x4, trans fluid, check that all lug nuts are tight, tire air pressure is set to proper inflation, all steering linkage an front ends parts are tight & alignment checked ect...

OP
OP
T

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
I said that yesterday and the service advisor said that is NOT part of their job. 4 days after I got it I took it back because the dash light I/C coolant low. They topped it off and told me that’s just a thing with a cummins. They then topped off a few other under the hood levels - wiper - coolant.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t bet money on this theory, however I’m skeptical of the dealer attributing this to low oil.

Reason being the spider gears spin all the time in 2WD, and they sit higher in the case, near center. In 2WD the ring gear isn’t spinning to splash lube everything else, including the spiders. Ergo 2WD is most vulnerable to low oil. Which would exhibit I think as burnt spiders.

In 4wd the ring gear will toss oil everywhere, even if the level is low. And a front axle isn’t under constant heavy loads like the rear, where low oil could cause overheating and bearing damage.

Based on what I’ve read, I’d say it was just a bad pinion, pinion bearing, or improper assembly. Doesn’t matter, I suppose, since warranty is picking up the tab.

OP
OP
T

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
They also told me that they were waiting for a new bearing but the were installing the new shaft because the tech didn’t think there was damage to the bearing. They also said that the new shaft would fix it and to come pick it up. When I got there is when they told me they took it out to the lot and everything was fine until he put it in 4wd and then the diff locked up. I said was the shaft installed wrong she said no it locked up because of low oil. When I went to get things from my truck the tech was tearing into the diff and I asked him about low fluid and he said it was a little low as fluid was literally draining into a pan while I was taking to him.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like Travelin said, no point in calling them out at this stage. You will never be able to prove it and it will just **** them off.

That said, I would be seriously looking for another dealership to do my work, even if I had to drive further, even a lot further, to use them. These guys are exactly how dealerships earned their terrible reputation. Believe it or not, if you look hard enough you can find trust worthy dealerships. I found two locally, but it took a ton of looking.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I said that yesterday and the service advisor said that is NOT part of their job. 4 days after I got it I took it back because the dash light I/C coolant low. They topped it off and told me that’s just a thing with a cummins. They then topped off a few other under the hood levels - wiper - coolant.
Interesting as when I was looking for a truck several of the dealers I went to who had trucks that had recently arrived, those trucks were not allowed to be the line or showed to anyone until PDI was completed, even if FCA no longer pays them to do PDI, all good dealerships will do a PDI before being vehicle is put on the lot for sale, most don't want low coolant light or some other light coming on when the customer is driving before buying as it looks bad on them...