2500 mega cab build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ealexander1285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just received my vin number yesterday 10/26/21. How long have most of you waited after this point for delivery?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe your VIN number is issued just before they change the status to D1
D1 means they know that they have all the parts needed to build Your Ram & will very soon have a date to begin building it

When it is built, your Window Sticker should be available,
Depending on what extras you ordered, like bed liner, side steps, etc.
it adds about a week to the delivery time

The 2500 Rams body style is Gen 4, also called the Classic Body Style
They are built in Saltillo Mexico
The Freight Train from Saltillo to Eagle Rock Texas is a slow one, not at all like freight trains up here

One reason the freight trains down in Mexico don't move as fast as ours

migration6_1.jpg

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe your VIN number is issued just before they change the status to D1

Is that different for the 2500s? My 1500 I got the vin within a few days of ordering but sat for a few months before hitting D1. For the 1500s I thought I remembered hearing the vin was issued when the factory accepted the order.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know when i ordered my Ram
within a week, they sent me a note reading that my Rams Status was B1 & i was sent a VON#, vehicle order number
Not long after that, within hours, my Ram status changed to C
About a week later the Status changed to D
Right after that, i don't recall the timeline, the Status changed to D1, which is referred to as Gateway
I thought that was when i was sent the VIN #

Gateway is when they set the Date & Time that the Frame is laid onto the conveyor belt, about 16 hours later, your Ram rolls off the assembly line & is sent to the Body Vendor

You can find when your Ram was Built, by entering your VIN# into this website, use Capital Letters

Hopefully your Ram gets put on a train before December 17th
I am not sure about the Saltillo Mexico Assembly Plant, but the Assembly Plants in the USA, should close for the Holidays about then.
The trains don't shut down for the Holidays

matemike

Reaction score
Just received my vin number yesterday 10/26/21. How long have most of you waited after this point for delivery?
How long from when dealer placed the order for you did you have to wait to get to where you are now?

My dealer placed an order for me on Oct 22 and they say that Chrysler motor group has still not “picked it up” yet. I ordered a white ram 2500 Laramie B group, night edition with hemi gas engine. 8.4” screen. A different dealer said they can’t even order the 12” screens. Wondering what the hold up is or if this is even considered a hold up right now.

Oyou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
I ordered my 3500 Limited with just about all the options on Oct 6th. Zero progress other than a VIN thus far.

Oyou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Oct 8th.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
After about 3 weeks from placing the order
You should have your VIN#
About once a week enter your VIN# into the site below, use Capital Letters

when it works for you, it should have the BUILD date on it

1500s take about 3 months from the ordering date
Heavy Duty models should take about 4 months

It depends how far the train has to travel

matemike

Reaction score
GT Yankee says 3 weeks. Where are you getting that info?

A guy in Indana and guy in Texas are both saying 2 and 3 days from order to VIN given. I'm also in Texas. I placed an order on Oct 22. Dealer said they would notify me when they submit the order. I Called on Oct 27th to see if they submitted it yet. They said they did but Chrysler had not picked it up yet. So it was still not technically ordered. It is now Nov 3 and still no word from my dealer. They'll be getting a call today.

Last edited:

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
about a three month wait, my personal experience

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not saying that they don't give anyone a VIN# before 3 weeks
I am saying that by 3 weeks, if you don't have a VIN#, you need to start calling your salesman.

There is at least 1 person that placed an order in the beginning October, they will not get a VIN# until this week or next.
The reason is that the dealership that they ordered through ran out of Monthly Allotment.
Each dealership is allowed to place an order for a certain amount of Rams, a certain amount of Jeeps, etc.
The amount that they can order is based on their sales history for each type of vehicle.
If that dealership has sold 15 Rams as an average each month
Their Monthly Allotment will be close to 15 Rams.
If they get 20 Ram orders for say November & their allotment is 15, 5 of those orders won't be allowed until Decembers allotment.
Smaller dealerships would have smaller allotments & most of them are always trying to become larger dealerships, so they are always trying to get larger allotments, until that time comes, they can always Horse Trade with other dealerships.

matemike

Reaction score
Gotcha. A little more clear now.
So my dealer today said it’s because I selected night edition 2500. Does that make sense?
Another said it’s probably because you got a 12” screen. But I got a 8.4” screen so I shut that theory down.
There are also two Ram dealers where I live, sister stores. They ha e one office hub in downtown where all the orders go through. Would the allotment be based on the individual dealer or on their main office?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would not even venture a guess on that.

The funny thing is, i was wondering about that same thing earlier
There are dealership groups, they may have several dealerships in a general area.

There is a dealership near me, there is Franks Toyota, Franks Jeep, Franks Dodge & a few others.
I wondered if each property had its own allotment, because there are Rams on the Jeep lot & more on the Dodge Lot

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ordered a 3500 Limited Mega Cab on August 14. I got a VIN on August 16. It was supposed to ship on October 28th.....it hasn't even been built yet.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The chip shortage has put a wrench in everything! A lot of automotive companies are changing up packages for their 2022 & 23 models. Some things will not be offered unless you get this or that. Said they are only getting so many chips currently so they are focusing on their best sellers & money making vehicles first. Everything else is a maybe.