2500 Steering wheel into 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found a 2500 steering wheel with matching functions I want to swap over. Obviosly the 2500 wheel does not bave the gear selector buttons. Can I just simply swap them from my 1500 wheel or is there a wiring difference I need to be concerned about?
This would be my second steering wheel swap (first owner didn't really care for the leather and I couldn't revive it, this time I'm looking at upgrading to a limited or longhorn woodgrain wheel) . The first time I let the dealer since I didn't want to screw with the airbag and at the time I thought there was a lot more to screw with as far as how much there is to disassemble and re assemble. Now I'm a little more confident realizing that all you need to do is pop the clips off, center the wheel and unclip a few connectors and remove the bolt and swap. No messing with anything from the clock spring down. Not feeling like paying 300 for the labor . Just wanted to make sure all I had to do was swap the cruise control button panel and that was it since the donor wheel is from a 2500

Thanks!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a 2500 steering wheel with matching functions I want to swap over. Obviosly the 2500 wheel does not bave the gear selector buttons. Can I just simply swap them from my 1500 wheel or is there a wiring difference I need to be concerned about?
This would be my second steering wheel swap (first owner didn't really care for the leather and I couldn't revive it, this time I'm looking at upgrading to a limited or longhorn woodgrain wheel) . The first time I let the dealer since I didn't want to screw with the airbag and at the time I thought there was a lot more to screw with as far as how much there is to disassemble and re assemble. Now I'm a little more confident realizing that all you need to do is pop the clips off, center the wheel and unclip a few connectors and remove the bolt and swap. No messing with anything from the clock spring down. Not feeling like paying 300 for the labor . Just wanted to make sure all I had to do was swap the cruise control button panel and that was it since the donor wheel is from a 2500

Thanks!
Yes it will work fine. You can just switch out the buttons and install it. Make sure you dont let the clockspring make a revolution when you switch wheels make sure the clockspring locator tab fits in the hole in the steering wheel and make sure you align the steering wheel on steering shaft by looking at the splines, and of course disconnect both battery terminals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Both battery terminals is overkill. Negative battery terminal is fine.

OP
OP
jdip

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Ricks Ram @Mpgrimm2
Got my new limited wheel.
Before I tackle this I got to thinking how can I go about d/c ing the battery then rotating the wheel without having the truck running or on?
Do I just he man it? I keep thinking I'll accidently lock the wheel

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram @Mpgrimm2
Before I tackle this I got to thinking how can I go about d/c ing the battery then rotating the wheel without having the truck running or on?
I've always had no issues turning the wheel with the truck off. Its easier to turn on a smooth cement surface like a garage floor. If you think it might be a little too stiff for you, you can always Jack up the front of the truck a little to take a little weight off of the tires so it turns easier.

OP
OP
jdip

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it. Never really tried it. I'll be doing it in my garage for safety in case I screw something and make the truck immobile. I didn't buy a puller though. I can't remember where I saw someone said I should be fine. Especially since my wheel was swapped by a dealer a year ago

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got it. Never really tried it. I'll be doing it in my garage for safety in case I screw something and make the truck immobile. I didn't buy a puller though. I can't remember where I saw someone said I should be fine. Especially since my wheel was swapped by a dealer a year ago

I just put a limited wheel in my Laramie tonight to match the dash/console top I put in previously.

I rented a puller kit from O'Reilly's and had to use an impact wrench to break the nut lose before lifting the front wheels to rotate the wheel for the airbag clips (yes with the battery disconnected). Just be sure to mark the center of the wheel to the hub before pulling and don't spin the clock spring in-between the old wheel and new one.
See cgeorgemo's thread for installing the steering wheel audio controls for pictures and video links of the process.1b1fd7db3671ca24b28f7481d1b99a69.jpg2bc2a481be48d62352aad7a710bc0f57.jpg

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a limited wheel in my Laramie tonight to match the dash/console top I put in previously.

I rented a puller kit from O'Reilly's and had to use an impact wrench to break the nut lose before lifting the front wheels to rotate the wheel for the airbag clips (yes with the battery disconnected). Just be sure to mark the center of the wheel to the hub before pulling and don't spin the clock spring in-between the old wheel and new one.
See cgeorgemo's thread for installing the steering wheel audio controls for pictures and video links of the process.1b1fd7db3671ca24b28f7481d1b99a69.jpg2bc2a481be48d62352aad7a710bc0f57.jpg

M² Mods.
Looks nice! I have done several of the wheel swaps for myself and other people and never had to use a puller. I just grab the wheel on both sides start pulling from side to side. I guess I just got lucky and not found one that was put on that tightly. That being said I've never had to use an impact to get the bolt out either. Sounds like yours was really on there!

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Ricks Ram @Mpgrimm2

I have a 2500 and I jacked up one side slightly to help turn the wheel.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I needed a puller to change mine. I had to grind the hell out of my puller arms to make it work.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any recommendations for removing the air bag? Watched a couple videos and seems to be the hardest part of the swap to some. I've got a decent selection of tools but if there is a specific tool for this I don't mind the investment

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I believe this is the recommended one, and its cheap so there is no reason to buy it:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56200-Removal-Tool-Mopar/dp/B073QWMHMP

That is the exact same tool I got and it worked perfectly, took about 5 minutes to get the airbag off. Had parked the Ram on a level, smooth surface so I could turn the wheel to get at the airbag clips just like Rick'sRam mentioned. Did not need a wheel puller. Just ate a large bowl of wheaties in the morning....j/k........just wiggled the wheel with my hands grabbing it at opposite ends: 3 and 9, 12 and 6, etc, and came right off.

I went the "other" way and put a 1500 wheel ( Rebel )in a 2500 ( SLT ) and matches with my leather seats.

414668[/ATTACH]']CCfP6Pzl.jpg

Attachments

• CCfP6Pzl.jpg
    CCfP6Pzl.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. I am getting inspired, but wallet is still small. I would love to upgrade mine. I haven't had a rubber steering wheel since (I can't remember?)...

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So if I were to put a 1500 wheel in my 2500 I definitely need to swap out the cruise control buttons? Will the gear +/- work with 2500 you think?

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So if I were to put a 1500 wheel in my 2500 I definitely need to swap out the cruise control buttons? Will the gear +/- work with 2500 you think?
I have not done this, but I would think you would need to swap the buttons and the connected wiring as well. The wires do have to run in very specific paths though so have a real good look/pictures before removing them.
This is not verification that this swap will work.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

The + and - trans switch will NOT work in a heavy duty, there is no wiring in the steering column to accommodate it. The other functions/controls work. So if you put in a 1500 wheel that already has the controls you can either leave it alone knowing the trans switch will not work or swap out your switch from your original wheel.