2500 to 3500 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hauling Hunger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi you all. I've a question.
I have a chance to buy a nice 06 2500 with only 119k miles on a 5.9 cummins, and I have heard of conversion kits which I assume is air bags, but maybe just different springs?

My main question is, (provided they have these kits for 3rd gen) will it legally turn my truck into a 3500? ...so I can haul more legally?
Apeasing scales and or employers?

Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. What the truck is registered for and what your door say are really what you are limited to. Increasing the payload capacity does not increase axle strength or brake power

OP
OP
H

Hauling Hunger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
No. What the truck is registered for and what your door say are really what you are limited to. Increasing the payload capacity does not increase axle strength or brake power

I'm pretty sure they have the same axles and same brakes.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frame strength as well. Either way you look at it it’s in your hands. If you go over door weight and something happens that’s on you. If you make it by with nothing happening than congratulations. I still don’t think it’s a good idea. It’s rated what it is compared to a 3500 for a reason.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Nothing can legally change your max capacities. Sure it might feel better but won't be legal if you are over you trucks manufacturer rated numbers

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
NO. That's the simple answer. A lot of people run 3/4T overloaded and don't even know it, especially in the RV area. For your own use I wouldn't hesitate to beef it up, but it will never be a legal 1 ton. And like others have said, if something happens you might find yourself on the short end of the stick-insurance wise and otherwise. I did some research on this before I bought my last truck and there are definite differences between the 3/4T and the 1T, and not just because you can get duals on a 1T. Everything from frame reinforcements, brake upgrades, springs, etc. Even gear ratios in the rear end can be different. Buy a 1 Ton if that's what you truly need. There are some good deals out there if you look hard.