3.21 vs 3.92 and 2k lb tow difference what's the real deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW, Buda TX - - RVtrader.com

Of course we do haha. Well we are looking at the Jayco 267bhsw. I want the Jayco because I believe it is a quality unit and has better resale etc. I really want the aluminum side because we had a lance truck camper and the smooth sides really gave me anxiety when they would start spider cracking and fading. We really need the bunkhouse because we have a 3 year old daughter, but there are similar built campers like crossroads sunset etc but I'm not sure on the quality. Most are also smooth sides which I really don't want but a better floor plan would help. I'd also like to keep it under 30' and 6k. If you guys can recommend any brands or floor plans we are open to suggestions.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You want bunkhouse yer stuck with length. Sucks, I know. You get 33' overall and the bike and fuel are gonna max yer rear axle if not overload it. I feel yer pain. Bunkhouse shopped for a year. Fun fun fun. Have seen models with the BH fore instead of aft which may or may not help with tongue weight. Best of luck, compadre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's why that Jayco looks about perfect for us. It's 26' and under 30' total. 5500 pounds so I think that fits well for what we need.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been impressed with the quality of our Jayco. We bought used and it was still in terrific condition.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's why that Jayco looks about perfect for us. It's 26' and under 30' total. 5500 pounds so I think that fits well for what we need.
The head in that one looks like it's a good size. Overall weight looks good, too. Wife happy, you happy. I'd haul that thing all day with yer truck. With yer bike in the back. Look good doin' it, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys think that ones the ticket. We've been looking for over a year on and off and keep coming back to the Jayco.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
if he had the 8 spd tranny( I know the #'s wouldn't change) but arent they geared little different than the 6 spd and would get the weight moving a little better? Less lag or lull so to speak? He didnt say what he had or I missed it. I read about the 8 spd being quicker in the performance area. just wondering....

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have been impressed with the quality of our Jayco. We bought used and it was still in terrific condition.

We had an 06 Jayco Hybrid 23' (actually 21' measured) had delamination problems with the bunks, and of course, warranty wouldn't take care of it, so we bought a 31' Keystone Outback, working out good so far...and its really 31' long... Some manufacturers measure length from rear of camper to the end of the hitch, and some measure the total floor length not including the hitch, so be aware of that, I like the fiberglass sides because they clean up nice, our Outback is an '08 and no cracks or spider webbing yet, which wasn't the case with the Jayco...
:)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah. Some trailers are assembled on Friday at 3. We have the fiberglass sides with not a single spiderweb or crack to be seen.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think we want to go with aluminum skin just for ease of use. Wash and a quick wax and I'll worry about it less. Especially if we are at the races anything can happen, at least with aluminum I can replace a panel of needed and not the whole side.

tgood321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Jayco looks very nice and a good value at that price. We had a 2014 Durango and were also looking for a bunkhouse but needed it to be much lighter. We found the 2016 Keystone Passport 238MLWE to suit our needs at just under 4000lbs dry/5400 max. Box is 23', 25.6 overall so I feel good about getting into smaller campgrounds in the area. It doesn't have the aluminum sides but no slide-out maintenance to worry about either. The queen murphy bed frees up a good amount of room when not in use and with the bunks for our 2 youngins I think we're set for a long time with this one. Unrelated, I just didn't feel safe enough carrying my family and this trailer with the Durango so now a proud Ram owner. Love this forum - I was wondering the same thing about the gears, thanks!

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully living in it for 3-6 months will work out. We would stand to save a substantial amount of money so hope it works out!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You'll need to start thinking about payload capacity. My 287BHBE says 650 tongue, but it ends up being ~940lbs after I load it up.
700lb tongue, 200lb bike, 200lb gear, 300lb people. How much capacity do you have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the gear will be going in my wife's suv. So only 200lb bike and maybe 25lbs of fuel. The good news is when we are moving from spot to spot we will only be loaded for a weekend and we have another trailer and truck to take anything crazy that we may need, so we can take it light.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I found a trailer that I will be going to look at next week. It is a 2014 Jayco 26bhs up in Dallas. Will be making the 14 hr round trip to check it out. I have tried to get as many pictures as I can of the unit and it looks pretty good. The owners seem knowledgeable about it and are confident the trailer is in great shape. We had record 14" of rain in May and they said no water damage so hopefully that is true. Also the roof was replaced last year $5000 by the dealer because a tree limb tore the original roof. The trailer also comes with a weight distributing hitch and I feel is a good price. Any thoughts from you guys before k make such a long drive. Buying used will save a few thousand so I'm hoping it all works out.

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I found a trailer that I will be going to look at next week. It is a 2014 Jayco 26bhs up in Dallas. Will be making the 14 hr round trip to check it out. I have tried to get as many pictures as I can of the unit and it looks pretty good. The owners seem knowledgeable about it and are confident the trailer is in great shape. We had record 14" of rain in May and they said no water damage so hopefully that is true. Also the roof was replaced last year $5000 by the dealer because a tree limb tore the original roof. The trailer also comes with a weight distributing hitch and I feel is a good price. Any thoughts from you guys before k make such a long drive. Buying used will save a few thousand so I'm hoping it all works out.

...the roof has been replaced??? on a 2014??....and
your driving 14 hours to look at it? .... why not buy a new one ...with a WARRANTY....and no previous problems?

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did just that today, started another threas on it earlier. Feel like I made out much better, cut down the price difference to $3k.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You should take into account wind and drag plus the 1500 brakes as well. Warped rotors are pretty much gonna happen towing close to max, and 3.21 gears aren't the best, it'll sound like it's laboring all the time. Keep an eye on your temps etc. if I were going to pull that often, I would go with a 2500 with 4:10's. Even then with wind drag you will hear and feel it working hard, but at least you'll have the stiffer frame and brakes. I owned a 1500 with 8 speed and 3:21's and the 2500 I would not enjoy pulling that with the 1500

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's 5500# it should be fine for what we need. Just bough the truck in April so selling it for a 2500 is out of the question. If anything I'll get some airlifts and we'll always be below payload and capacities.