3500 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yeah, I did. 91 gallon on top of the factory 32 to be exact. Range is still a concern, at times. Like said in the above post and my post in #16. Some of us need numbers, maybe you not so much.

You need to do the math>
123 gallons divided by 15 mpg = 1845 miles.

Where is there no gas station in a 1800 mile radius???????????????????????

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You need to do the math>

Like I said, you don't get it and I'm not clogging the post with info of my practices that you don't truly care about.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would have to get better MPG then my Hemi lol. I am lucky to see 15-16 empty at any given time. It likes gas.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You need to do the math>

My F250 was set up similarly and had an 1800 mile range. The guy spent a few years in Alaska and he would sometimes get caught out in an area with no fuel for a week or two and during that period of time he needed to travel within the area hauling loads that had no available fuel when he had to travel. The truck also had an on board diesel fired Webasto heater that ate into the supply. He said it wasn't uncommon to finally get to a pump running on fumes.

18Crew mentioned Canada, so I would assume that he might run into similar circumstances.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine is 2016 HO, deleted, crew cab, short box SRW, 3.42 gears.
Just cruising, not loaded, it does about 21-22 mpgs, pulling our 6000lb camper it does on average 12-13 mpgs. Speed on highway around 70 mph. Not driving it much in town, we have other vehicles for that.
Very satisfied with it.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
To all those saying don't look or care about MPG, that I shouldn't care about MPG. I don't really agree, I'm not one to get into something without know the facts. After getting into something, new truck, 5th wheel or camera hobby i live with what was chosen.

BTW, I did buy the truck last night. A Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Limited. Only two things not on the truck I noticed is no Sun Roof or lights on top of the cab. Both items I don't really like anyway. Oh, so far the MPG on the truck is 16.0 MPG but that is 240 miles driving up and down a mountain road 2,000 ft to 5,700 ft on three trips of 80 miles each and some city driving of 50 miles.
Congratulations!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
I've often wondered - why do OTR rigs get such good MPG/ton. I can think of only two.

* Their engines/fuel delivery systems are way better than pickups.
* There is a huge improvement in efficiency due to reduced wind resistance.
(or a combination of the two)

But the fact that we are seeing reports of drastic drop in fuel mileage from empty to pulling a trailer makes me think it's mostly better drivetrain efficiency.

My brother drives an OTR 80k TT unit. Most of his loads are not at capacity - generally 60-70k. But he gets around 8 MPG with those loads. This is roughly double what a pickup gets if you calculate MPG/Ton.

Am I missing something?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I've often wondered - why do OTR rigs get such good MPG/ton. I can think of only two.

But the fact that we are seeing reports of drastic drop in fuel mileage from empty to pulling a trailer makes me think it's mostly better drivetrain efficiency.

My brother drives an OTR 80k TT unit. Most of his loads are not at capacity - generally 60-70k. But he gets around 8 MPG with those loads. This is roughly double what a pickup gets if you calculate MPG/Ton.

Am I missing something?
You definitely are missing something. Wind resistance is the single biggest factor affecting mileage at highway speeds. You can double the weight, and if the coefficient of drag stays the same the fuel burned will not increase much. If you halve the drag with the same weight, say go to a flat deck hauling flat iron from a cube trailer, fuel mileage will jump dramatically. Mileage per ton on a train is way better than an OTR tractor too.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
You definitely are missing something. Wind resistance is the single biggest factor affecting mileage at highway speeds.
Yeah, I said that:

BUT, a p/u towing a trailer adds weight with little additional drag, similar to an OTR TT unit. Granted, often not as good, because TTs are designed for always being driven as a unit. But I still say there is no good explanation for the great disparity.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Am I missing something?

Off the top of my head:

Tuned for the speed they are going to steadily run, no need for a high end power band at the expense of efficiency, so turbos, intercoolers, gearing, etc. can all be more tailored to efficient highway speed.

Relatively short (for available torque) low rolling resistance tires

As aerodynamically slippery as possible

Running 65mph as much as possible

Longer periods between stops

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Am I missing something?
This discussion reminds me of the debates regarding the rate of fall of a feather vs a rock; not very important.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Been through all eight pages of this. It's amazing what a few members can do to what started as a reasonably asked question. @Calicajun congrats on the new truck, use it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.