392 Valve Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone tried to fit the 392 valve covers on the PW? I hate the look of all the plastic under the hood. If you have please post up some pics so the rest of us can see.

41b+Dum+vGL._SX463_.jpg

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
those come on the Durango, Challenger, and Charger SRT 392's. I was just hoping someone had put them on the PW since they all have the 6.4 Hemi.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 6.4L Hemi is a heavy duty truck engine versus the 392 Hemi is a high performance car engine. Although, both are the same cubic inches, they aren't the same engine. They even recommend different oil weights. The heads aren't the same on both.

So if a car engine valve cover actually fits onto the cylinder head designed for a truck, does it still meet the technical requirements for the truck engine. That's another question.

For example, something similar to a valve cover is a differential cover. There are manufacturers of aftermarket rear differential covers which look really cool and protect off road better, but the material utilized may not dissipate the heat as well as the OEM. Also, their shape may not fling the lubricant onto the gears as well as the OEM.

https://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-165672.html

Last edited:

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know nothing about the 6.4 car/non truck version, but i dont think thats actually a valve cover. Perhaps a cover over the valve cover? I dont see any access to spark plug tubes, ways to hold coils down. Someone who knows please inform me!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The original post is an engine valve wiring (harness) cover which covers over the valve cover to make it glitzy. It does look better covering the coils and wires. Sorry, I knew that cover shown in your original photo could never be a valve cover for a Hemi, but until today had no prior knowledge of a valve wiring cover. Someone else needs to determine whether or not it fits.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^Yep believe they are called half shells when you order a engine dress up kit. But if any body knows where we can get the half shells that will fit 6.4 HD for the 2500,,would be great to know. Also hemi half shells for the 02-05 5.7 1500 would be great. Both of these simply bolt on over our coil packs and wires.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The term you are looking for is "coil cover" lol.

The 6.4L Hemi is a heavy duty truck engine versus the 392 Hemi is a high performance car engine. Although, both are the same cubic inches, they aren't the same engine. They even recommend different oil weights. The heads aren't the same on both.

So if a car engine valve cover actually fits onto the cylinder head designed for a truck, does it still meet the technical requirements for the truck engine. That's another question.

For example, something similar to a valve cover is a differential cover. There are manufacturers of aftermarket rear differential covers which look really cool and protect off road better, but the material utilized may not dissipate the heat as well as the OEM. Also, their shape may not fling the lubricate onto the gears as well as the OEM.

https://www.ramforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-165672.html

Ok...yes, truck engine vs hp car engine. While true the heads aren't the exact same spec-wise, they are the exact same design/architecture; externally every hemi engine within it's family is externally identical (03-08 5.7/06-10 6.1, 6.2's being the odd man out). As for valve covers (which the part referenced above is not), all 09+ 5.7 and 12+ 392's use the exact same double hump valve (for valve clearance) cover and are interchangeable (all 03-08 valve covers are physically interchangeable but need will vary on which ignition system is in place). Production wise only the 6.2's are different. The coil covers will fit, however they are only a straight bolt on to car and suv 392's. Other engines require trimming to fit. I had a set on my Charger:

IMAG1309.jpg

They will pop right on to eagle car and truck engines because they all use the same fuel rails with the same spots for the support pieces and are all somewhat similarly shaped. How do I know this? Because I have one of each lol. This is what they look like put up to a 5.7 eagle truck manifold (someone a while back asked me for comparison pics):

IMAG3214.jpg

They are all quite similar, with the truck manifold and the 392 manifold being the most similar and both superior to the stock eagle car intake being they are active intakes.

IMAG3215.jpg

With the truck 6.4 being identical EXTERNALLY (yes yes, internal differences aplenty, we know) with the exception of the active intake IT has and the fact that it kicks off to the passenger side:

dKvnQBj.jpg

It basically looks like the others, same fuel rails. With trimming, these coil covers will fit right on. You even have a choice, you can get 392 ones or 6.4 ones, both are available.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
imag3215-jpg.146427

Can you tell us which manifold is which in this photo? Thanks.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess:

Left is 6.4 car engine
Middle is 6.4 truck engine
Right is 5.7 car engine

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My guess:

Left is 6.4 car engine
Right is 5.7 car engine

I don’t think the middle one is the HD truck intake. I say this because my intake and throttle body is at an angle (looking from the front of the engine) it is at like a 45* angle to the passenger side.

f382e8406eead501c590f1d91692d7b1.jpg

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think the middle one is the HD truck intake. I say this because my intake and throttle body is at an angle (looking from the front of the engine) it is at like a 45* angle to the passenger side.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Hey I said it was a guess lol

Maybe the middle is the 5.7 truck then lol

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Looking closely at the photo, the obvious large yellow writing marked on the right intake clearly states, "5.7 Hemi". I've fallen for this before, my guess that it's really a 6.4 Hemi truck intake disguised as a 5.7. The other two are for something else.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
imag3215-jpg.146427

Can you tell us which manifold is which in this photo? Thanks.

My guess:

Left is 6.4 car engine
Right is 5.7 car engine

You guys are killing me...I even put a pic of a truck 6.4 in that post LMAO
Car 6.4/392, truck eagle 5.7, car eagle 5.7

Here it is again...:doh2:

dkvnqbj-jpg.146429

Reactions: JB1

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The best thing about the Ram 6.4L intake manifold is that it's the only one of my four trucks that I have owned within the past 40 years which didn't come factory equipped with a slow and progressively worsening intake manifold gasket coolant leak. Fixed them all.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The best thing about the Ram 6.4L intake manifold is that it's the only one of my four trucks that I have owned within the past 40 years which didn't come factory equipped with a slow and progressively worsening intake manifold gasket coolant leak. Fixed them all.

Well...it's a dry manifold, so I imagine it wouldn't LMAO

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Finally! A dry intake manifold is unbelievable!

Last edited: