4,000 miles. Lead me astray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Just under 4,000 miles guys.

Thinking about getting front and rear diff flushed and replaced with Amsoil. Which oil do I use and how much?

Also, when are y'all doing your first oil change and are you going straight to Redline? Which one as well?

Debating on getting the truck ceramic coated to protect it. I'm hell on her in the woods...thoughts?

Also, if I'm not ready to jump into re-gearing (5.13) with 37's, should I just roll with 35's instead? Want 37's and Katla's bad though!

Lastly, she's finally be broke in proper. Blood in the bed from a couple does so far this season and just earlier tonight she ate another doe on the road. Not a dent or scratch on the truck.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
You can roll 37s on a 2020 without regear but going to 35s is a big jump from the 31.5 (measured) that comes stock. Get 35 on the stock rims and you will not rub. I beefed up my front bumper by adding 1/4” 3x3 behind it. Check out my build thread.

8FC08495-48B6-4B36-91AB-55F2EDDCA8F5.jpeg

EDDDFE01-D92C-453E-BFBB-AC58FDCF477C.jpeg

F2CBC53A-299A-4119-84A9-FE9E7D1B8787.jpeg

882496C1-B79D-40DF-A6F8-9135770952C9.jpeg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having more gears in the trans doesnt change the affect a larger diam tire has. it seems people think that as gear count goes up with modern trannys that theres no ill side affects of larger tires

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having more gears in the trans doesnt change the affect a larger diam tire has. it seems people think that as gear count goes up with modern trannys that theres no ill side affects of larger tires

Real world experience says differently, however.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Real world experience says differently, however.

umm ok. the 8spd have the advantage of closer gear spacing so it may seem that 37s have less ill effects but when you put larger diam tires on any particular trans ratio (1.00 for simplicity sake) the affective ratio changes the same, irrelevant of the total gear count in the trans. i get that people may not feel a regear is necesarry with the new trans , hell ive seen people say regear isnt needed for the old trans and techically its just a matter of how much poor drivability a person can tolerate. if a guy never tows anything heavy, then he wont mind the ****** lower gear affective ratio. if he doesnt mind top gear going in the toilet, he'll be fine there also. its just a matter of what you consider 'necesarry' . but the physics of it all dont change, regardless of ones opinion

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
let me add another thing if you dont mind. i been using 37s/4.10 the last 6mon while i get a regear in the works. ya i know its just my opinion but all them guys that say regear on 6sp isnt necesarry are damn fools. the truck still gets me from point A to B but its a *************. i know what the trans ratios are for the 8spd, regear would be tops on my priority list also because its still going to be a ************* in top gear, and acceleration down low will suffer. thats just my 2cents on this opinion based subject

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought Amsoil severe gear 75W-90 but haven't gotten around to changing it yet, I'm at 7K miles. For motor oil I have 3 more free oil changes but had already ordered some Redline 5W40 aka Hemi honey that will be going in after I use up the dealer oil.

I don't think ceramic protects much from branch scratches...PPF will give you much more protection in that regard.

If your wanting 37s I would go straight to them and skip the 35s. I run 37s (KM3s which run a little small) with the 8 speed and stock gearing and have no complaints but I don't tow anything. I have driven jeeps where re-gear was mandatory after going with bigger tires but don't feel that way with my setup. Given that I do plan to re-gear sometime in the future to get some acceleration back and for larger tires. I'm loving my Katla's...the offset is perfect for my setup where the tire barely kisses the sway bar while keeping the 13" wide tires mostly tucked in.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
let me add another thing if you dont mind. i been using 37s/4.10 the last 6mon while i get a regear in the works. ya i know its just my opinion but all them guys that say regear on 6sp isnt necesarry are damn fools. the truck still gets me from point A to B but its a *************. i know what the trans ratios are for the 8spd, regear would be tops on my priority list also because its still going to be a ************* in top gear, and acceleration down low will suffer. thats just my 2cents on this opinion based subject

Hey man, I totally agree. I think my power wagon with the stock 285’s was a big slow *************. And its of course even worse with just the bump to 35’s.

I cant stand the 6 speed trans and the effed up gear spacing. The 8 speed literally turns it into an animal.

But whatev.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The fact (not opinion) that the new 8 speed is better equipped to handle larger tires has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it has more forward gears than the old 6 speed and everything to do with the fact that it is simply geared lower overall than the 6 speed. Hence the lower crawl ratio on the 19+ vs the 18’s.

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I went 35s because I didn’t want to affect gas mileage too badly. I didn’t measure at the pump, but according to the display, my average mpgs haven’t changed at all from stock tires (and yes speedo is corrected). Averaging about 11 driving normally, and high 12s when trying For mpgs over about a week period. From my house to kids school was right at 15mpg for Both stock and 35s. My 35s look fantastic, but obviously 37s would look better.

That being said I can’t imagine 37s would be much worse.

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
RED LINE products- all fluids for ur Ram period, no if & or buts! My trannies never shifted better in my sports cars & ram. Email there tech staff & they will get back to u with answers next day. I'm positive u don't want to switch category 5 synthetic engine oil immediately & pretty sure it was more than 4000 miles, sorry can't remember & erased my email but red line will let u know.

Last edited:

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’ll chime in on the gearing debate. I personally have no issue running 37s with stock gearing in my 2018 Wagon. I did recalibrate using Alfa OBD. That being said, I don’t tow, live in Alaska where the speed limit is never more than 65, and I drive like and old man. My last truck was Chevy 5.3 with the 4L60 so the Power Wagon still feels amazing. City MPGs took a small hit avg 11-12 in the summer. Highway improved a little with my last 400 mile trip avg of 17mpg at 65mph. It’s all situational/subjective based on your needs, wants, or desires. At some point I may re-gear but I’m happy for the moment and my funds are being saved for suspension upgrades first. My two cents, get 37s because they are awesome, try the stock gearing out, and then re-gear if necessary.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amsoil what ever is recommend. I personally wouldn’t do it until 10k.... you have not even broken it in yet.....

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hey man, I totally agree. I think my power wagon with the stock 285’s was a big slow *************. And its of course even worse with just the bump to 35’s.

I cant stand the 6 speed trans and the effed up gear spacing. The 8 speed literally turns it into an animal.

But whatev.

I agree. I had a 2012, 2017, and now the 2020. The 8 speed tranny is a difference between night and day

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Amsoil what ever is recommend. I personally wouldn’t do it until 10k.... you have not even broken it in yet.....

Others have said do it at 5,000.... who knows lol

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I’ll chime in on the gearing debate. I personally have no issue running 37s with stock gearing in my 2018 Wagon. I did recalibrate using Alfa OBD. That being said, I don’t tow, live in Alaska where the speed limit is never more than 65, and I drive like and old man. My last truck was Chevy 5.3 with the 4L60 so the Power Wagon still feels amazing. City MPGs took a small hit avg 11-12 in the summer. Highway improved a little with my last 400 mile trip avg of 17mpg at 65mph. It’s all situational/subjective based on your needs, wants, or desires. At some point I may re-gear but I’m happy for the moment and my funds are being saved for suspension upgrades first. My two cents, get 37s because they are awesome, try the stock gearing out, and then re-gear if necessary.

where at brother? I own a house in Palmer and more than likely moving back this summer