4.7 tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lui_5793

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine with just over 163k miles on it. I never heard a ticking noise in it up until recently. The engine would be cold and the noise is fairly noticeable but once the engine is warmed up, the noise goes away. The noise is hard to pin point but it’s mainly on the driver side and sounds like it alternates between driver side and passenger side of engine. The tick would come for a few seconds then go away, then slowly come back and repeat Until warm. I’ve done the last two oil changes since I got it with 139k miles and only use synthetic oil. I still have an extended powertrain warranty but before I take it to the shop I just wanted some opinions on it. I’ve heard it could be bad lifters and also leaking fuel injectors. I got a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner to try out and see if that does anything but what do y’all think? I can upload a video if needed…..if only I knew how tho lol

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine with just over 163k miles on it. I never heard a ticking noise in it up until recently. The engine would be cold and the noise is fairly noticeable but once the engine is warmed up, the noise goes away. The noise is hard to pin point but it’s mainly on the driver side and sounds like it alternates between driver side and passenger side of engine. The tick would come for a few seconds then go away, then slowly come back and repeat Until warm. I’ve done the last two oil changes since I got it with 139k miles and only use synthetic oil. I still have an extended powertrain warranty but before I take it to the shop I just wanted some opinions on it. I’ve heard it could be bad lifters and also leaking fuel injectors. I got a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner to try out and see if that does anything but what do y’all think? I can upload a video if needed…..if only I knew how tho lol
I have the same engine in my truck, it’s always ticked until it warmed up.

As long as it goes away it’s fine. If you can post a video of it i can tell you (or try my best to) what it is. You can just go to youtube and upload it there as unlisted.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try to get a vid of it have worked on tons of 4.7s I know all the noises they make.

OP
OP
L

Lui_5793

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I uploaded a YouTube short of the noise. The video starts right after starting the truck. You can here the tick very loud and it goes away but in the background, you can here the passenger side still tick or gradually get louder and as the video goes on, you will here the ticking again on the driver side.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I uploaded a YouTube short of the noise. The video starts right after starting the truck. You can here the tick very loud and it goes away but in the background, you can here the passenger side still tick or gradually get louder and as the video goes on, you will here the ticking again on the driver side.

You need to pop valve covers check timing chain slop and the plastic guides its either that or a sticky lifter those are easy to change as well since its overhead cam. Another thing that can work is run seafoam threw the oil then change oil it shuts them up sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lui_5793

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You need to pop valve covers check timing chain slop and the plastic guides its either that or a sticky lifter those are easy to change as well since its overhead cam. Another thing that can work is run seafoam threw the oil then change oil it shuts them up sometimes.
I do need to mention that I have bought this truck used last year around this same time and I opted into buying an extended warranty. Warranty covers powertrain up till 183k miles or 3 more years (4 originally). Would it be better to take it to the shop than me work on it? I do work on small engines ( lawn mower, side by sides), but I don’t really wanna mess with it if it is covered under the warranty. Thoughts?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do need to mention that I have bought this truck used last year around this same time and I opted into buying an extended warranty. Warranty covers powertrain up till 183k miles or 3 more years (4 originally). Would it be better to take it to the shop than me work on it? I do work on small engines ( lawn mower, side by sides), but I don’t really wanna mess with it if it is covered under the warranty. Thoughts?
You can try to take it in warranty's are normally **** but you may get lucky it for sure will be the chain or a lifter both are common on high mileage 4.7s especially if previous owner didnt use good oil and change it often.

OP
OP
L

Lui_5793

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sorry for the late response but I’ve got an update for anybody wondering what happened. So turns out I had 13 out of 16 lifters bad and warranty covered all 13 lifters. Tick is now gone.

OP
OP
L

Lui_5793

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just took a shot at it and said **** it, I mean, there was a noise in the engine so it had to be something internal. They wanted to charge me initially $800 just to tear into the heads and disassemble everything to get to the lifters but I kept insisting I had an extended warranty that would cover all costs. Even still, I needed it done regardless.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just took a shot at it and said **** it, I mean, there was a noise in the engine so it had to be something internal. They wanted to charge me initially $800 just to tear into the heads and disassemble everything to get to the lifters but I kept insisting I had an extended warranty that would cover all costs. Even still, I needed it done regardless.
That 800.00 dollars was in case they didn’t find anything wrong. Warranty wouldn’t cover that.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hah knew it would be lifters glad you got it figured out and it was covered.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sorry for the late response but I’ve got an update for anybody wondering what happened. So turns out I had 13 out of 16 lifters bad and warranty covered all 13 lifters. Tick is now gone.
Interesting. I’ve had nearly the same tick in my truck since i got it back in 13 and nothing has changed with it since. Quiets up at operating temp.

mrfreak64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The chains were tight when I look led at them with the valve covers were off. It sounds more like the sounds coming from underneath. I'm going to drop the pan and check the rod bearings.

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 passenger side.jpg

I just ran into this problem, and it almost ruined the engine. A rocker arm from cylinder #6 came out and was laid on the head. Thank goodness it did not cause a valve to stick and damage the piston. I pulled all the lifter/tappet valve and most of them I could compress with two fingers very easily. I also replaced the rocker arms as there is an updated style that has a slightly wider bearing surface and improved oil hole. It now runs like a brand-new machine. My 4.7 only has 136004 miles on it and I regularly change the oil at about 3,000 miles. Earlier this winter I had the exhaust manifold bolts replaced as many of them were broke. Both problems cause an engine tick that will go away once it warms up.