4.7 valve stem seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Well, I started to replace the valve stem seals on my 2010 1500 4.7.

It has been a bit of a challenge. Made good progress, but still not done. With work and all, It will probably continue into next weekend.

The first big challenge was getting the valve covers off in the truck. Took a bit of thinking and pondering. Saw a few had pulled the brake power booster in one video. Saw A guy that said you could roll the right valve cover under the booster and get it out. All said, I ended up figuring it out.

Dropped the engine mount bolt on each side and lowered the engine on each side separately, about as far down as I could. Put the bolt back in before changing sides.

Left side came out, but while moving the ac line out of the way, I covered myself and part of the truck with AC dye. o_O
20230311_094717.jpg

Once the left side was off I went to the right. Lowered the engine the same way, and still had an issue. So I pulled the fuel/injector rail and it came out.

Cam lobes all look good nicely polished,
20230311_173034.jpg
20230311_173055.jpg
A little pollen was on the spring breeze. Will definitely change the oil when all's done.
20230310_091211.jpg
Day 2, I spent a number of hours farting around with the first spring and figuring how to get the keepers back in. Was surprised that what came with the felpro seals was a full set of replacement valve springs.
20230307_133801.jpg
I got to the seventh valve spring and a breeze tipped over the shop towels I had the keepwers on and lost one of the two.

Was able to hold the valve in place with one temporarily and ordered a couple pair from the parts store.
20230313_071450.jpg
So, covered things up, it will wait a couple days and then continue plugging away.
20230311_184836.jpg
If anyone has any hints for doing the back four cylinders let me know. They look like they are gonna give me some trouble when I get to them.

Last edited: