4 wheel drive issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You said "they" are going to replace it, is they the dealership and it's no cost to you, correct?

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes correct , just worried if it’s damaged anything else

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He all not sure why but web site says I got 4 replies but it’s not showing any new messages on board any ideas

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Wrong gear ratio in the rear is not a problem unless you are in 4x4 and from the sounds of it you haven't run in 4x4 much because of all the issues with pulling. I would have your mechanic drain the T Case oil and replace it once you get the right gears in. Look for any bits in the oil and check the oil for being burnt/too hot. If it looks good, and there are no bits in the oil you should be good. Final step is to take it for a test drive. It won't be hard to tell if the T Case is working right.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi from Sask, Ca. Strange that a dealership could be that stupid, or just not give a damn. They should be paying for all this. Good that you got it figured out , that could have been hard to figure out.
I have been in 4 w auto since Oct here, most of the time , lots of snow, and than ice

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
read last post and looks like you are covered, cost wise. Make sure you keep all the work orders on this , incase you find a problem later.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure who to blame , just glad that they are looking after the rear diff , I’m gonna watch them drain the transfer case oil , would like to have it analyzed for metal

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you got it figured out. Your xfer case will probably be just fine. I've seen them take a lot of abuse and come out fine. But obviously check the fluid quality.

Cheers

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mechanic thinks the clutch’s might be gone in TC not sure don’t now much about transfer case clutch , he say they probably absorbed a lot of the wind up from the rear diff

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How what distance do you estimate the tk was driven in 4x4 (or auto) mode? Just curious.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's amazing how many dealer screw-ups you read about on the forums or by word of mouth. Unbilled labor and parts they seem to give away due to mistakes. Hard to imagine they make any money.

Where I used to work we had a calculated metric which was something like, for every hour of labor we gave back to a customer free of charge, the tech would have to work 4-5 to break even in that time-period. That was assuming all expenses like truck/tools/miles/lost revenue vs fully billed work, etc. Our service mgr had calculated that numbers not me.

But it was rather eye opening. After we got grasp of the penalty of giving away labor, we were all very much more careful to be more precise in all phases of our service work from dispatch, completion and billing. And profitiability went up quite a bit. I'm sure these dealers are aware of this. Maybe it's not as bad as what I'm suspecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to say I’ve driven in 4 wheel drive 3 times I think , not I something I use very often , but I now I’ve driven about 6 Kms , it pulled so hard to the right it almost put me in the ditch , I switched it back to 2 wheel and all went away , the next day I needed 4wheel to get out of my driveway as the snow had drifted in , I put it in 4 wheel , and that’s when I felt the truck winding up like a spring , I had only moved 6 feet and a snap came from under the middle console I backed it up and put it in 2 wheel , it’s seems to still pull to the right in 2 wheel dive

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My mechanic thinks the clutch’s might be gone in TC not sure don’t now much about transfer case clutch , he say they probably absorbed a lot of the wind up from the rear diff
Get it redone and make the dealership pay. No point in being a nice guy and having it fail later as they sure wont standup at that point. If there is the slightest hint of an issue take no chances.