46re stuck in second gear after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyenko80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD with 46RE. Trans was just rebuilt due to burnt overdrive pack and loose planetary (missing needle bearings!) So...got it all back together and it seems to be stuck in limp mode. It starts in second gear, wont upshift. Will downshift into 1st if I drop it with the gear selector, will upshift to second with gear selector but thats as far as it goes. Ive dropped the pan literally 20 times now checking things out and retesting. So far I have:
1)adjusted and readjusted bands to 72" pounds and back off 2 turns and 2 7/8 turns per oem specs...a few times
2)air tested front and rear servos for proper function
3)installed, re-installed, re re-installed 4 different sets of governor pressure solenoids, transducers and od/tcc solenoids
4) re-dissasembeled valve body to check that all springs and plugs are in the proper order, no sticky valves.
5)line adjustment is "set" to 4.5 visible threads on the adjustment screw because this was the average I counted while I was ransacking 5 or 6 junkyard 46re's for used solenoids.
6) I had usual codes for bad solenoids...finally got rid of those by changing solenoids around and erasing codes so Im confident I have a working set of solenoids. Since then I have no codes.
The solenoids I am using have an audible 'click' when tested with a B+ and ground so Im confident they work with signal they receive from pcm.
7) Tested harness for continuity from the case plug to the solenoid connector..so shorts. Tested harness again plugged into main wiring harness to test the cannon plug...no shorts through the cannon plug to solenoid harness. Finally, tested solenoids on the harness with B+ and ground and received audible 'clicks'.
8)changed underhood trans relay with another one... no luck
9) thottle valve cable was not touched during rebuild..I removed the bracket from the trans and set it aside.

Ive read about ecm going bad but I doubt that because trans was working fine and truck running fine before trans burned up. Trans was old with 140k+ miles so it was time for it to go. Also...output speed sensor is working, speedo works.

Ive ran the truck once down the road about 1/10th mile..far enough to figure out something was wrong. Since then I have been testing it on a lift, so now my ABS light is on. Are there any issues with testing it on a lift? The only thing I would figure is that front and rear ABS sensors are freaked out because one is moving and the other is not. Would this screw with the trans?

So...Ive checked everything above over and over, double checked my work and such against a service manual downloaded from scribed.com. Trans starts out in second gear and does not upshift / downshift on its own. Any ideas?

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Once again! 3rd time! Ten minutes of typing to try to help someone, and bumped when I try to post the answer! Sorry cyenko80, I had some help for you. But I aint typing it again! SCREW YOU RAMFORUM! I'm done With this site! I've NEVER had this issue with ANY of the Mopar-based forums that I am a member of.

Last edited:

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.

Sounds like something got put in backwards or wrong. But with you checking and rechecking and rechecking I don't know. Here is a bump back to the top.

The new guy typed a post that is more than 10 minutes of typing and his post came up. Scroll down on the logged out screen and sign back in and it will post your message.

OP
OP
C

cyenko80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever had problems with a bad 02 sensor or harness causing trans to go into limp?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless you have a shorted wire from the o2 harness to the TCM harness, there is no way that can cause limp mode for the trans. Even a completely dead o2 will only cause it to run in open loop mode, which has no effect on trans operation since There is no logic in the PCM to connect the 2 systems.

Have you had the TCM relearned or reprogrammed? I'm not positive on the 46RE but on the 48RE, 45/545RFE, and so on all require the TCM to be flashed to learn the new sensors and solenoids, or it wont shift right.

It sounds like the TCM is not communicating with the trans

larryp1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is an old thread ,BUT yes a bad O2 sensor can cause it. it lost the ground loop from the sensor being bad .. i pulled my hair out for month's trying to figure it out