46RE torque converter noise, maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay.... So recently my transfer case fell out of my truck on the highway... How? I'd be damned if I knew.... Anyways... I got the tailhousing on the transmission rebuilt since that's what broke. My problem.... Everything's back together and the truck runs and drives. BUT! When I'm moving I can hear almost like a buzzing noise coming from the trans. It did it when I idled, but went away after I let the truck warm up... It seems like it's getting a little quieter now, but it's making me nervous because I have to drive the truck to NY, about 200 mi one way. I noticed as well, when I come to a stop whether it be a stop sign, red light, how be it....the truck doesn't downshift to 1st. It stays in 2nd until I manually do it on the column or hammer the gas. I'm hoping it may just be an air pocket in the converter.... Fluid's at the right level, and only place I have a small leak is from those ******** quick disconnect fittings on the radiator.... Anybody have the slightest clue?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
What happened to you I have seen more than a few times, some of us have come to the conclusion that you lost the xacse do to auto tranny problems (not the C-clip failing), what we don't know yet.
But what you are describing sounds like the hydraulic pump on the front of the tranny behind the tq converter. NV4500 or patc auto trany time.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It actually ended up being something in the new transfer case. I've still got no idea what caused it, but I put in another and it's all good now. All I know is that there were a lot of metal shavings in the other case...

As far as the transfer case falling out.... No clue what caused that either. Just put 250 miles on the highway over the last two days and haven't had an issue. But since it happened I had the tailhousing replaced and the overdrive gears and clutches replaced. So maybe something in there seized? But the guy said they all looked fine...

Sent from my pathetically slow iPhone

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You're gonna put a t-case saver in tho, right? lol

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dafuq is that? lol. Well right now... There's no 4wd whatsoever. Have my front axle torn apart and all the guts ripped out...no front driveshaft, no tcase shift linkage connected, and the vacuum actuator kinda got ripped off a few weeks ago in the woods...by a tree....because I drove into it....and pushed it over...........and kept driving......... Lmao

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dafuq is that? lol. Well right now... There's no 4wd whatsoever. Have my front axle torn apart and all the guts ripped out...no front driveshaft, no tcase shift linkage connected, and the vacuum actuator kinda got ripped off a few weeks ago in the woods...by a tree....because I drove into it....and pushed it over...........and kept driving......... Lmao

Let me google that for you

:D

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm up in the boondocks in NY, with 1 bar of service and 1X internet... *****. I'm lucky I can get onto this app let alone google and the vast amount of stupidity we call the internet hahahahaaha

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After that finally loaded, it looks like a load of baloney to me.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once I get more service I will. I've gotta get back under the truck once I get back home and work with a few things anyways... That leads me to my next issue.... How can I free up a sticking valve body in the transmission?

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not 100% certain. Im illiterate when it comes to them. All I know is that it doesn't always downshift to 1st when I stop. It does though if I manually shift on the column or hammer the gas. Kickdown cable isn't overly tight...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Make sure your TV cable is set properly before jacking with the VB.

If you don't already, get a hold of the 01 Dodge FSM in the DIY/Tech section on here.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No idea how to set that either lmao. Dude, I'm horrible with trannies. I can pull one out and put it back in within 5 hours, but couldn't tell you a ******* thing about it hahahaha

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the link to the service manual... Unfortunately, I can't open it on my phone. I'll look at it when I'm home next week. Thanks