46RE Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeftLaneGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l Magnum motor(gasoline) and 46RE Transmission.

Just a few days ago my transmission and/or torque converter went out. I would like to get another 46RE trans that can withstand 600hp.

Issue is that I don't know what transmission companies to go with. I really would like some suggestions. I'm trying to keep it around $2500. I want good quality and reliability. Of course I'll also be looking for a Heavy Duty Torque Converter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
L

LeftLaneGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I am turning it into an all terrain drift/race truck that is still, well, mostly street legal. Taking a remans 5.9l V8 Magnum motor and have a stroker kit installed. Doing various upgrades to the components of the motor. I am even going to put on a rear mount turbo. The transmission is my biggest hold up right now. Especially since it just made my truck dead in the water.

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
600 hp is not that bad, the 46RE can handle it easy with a $2500 budget and a core. A local shop should be able to rebuild it for you, or look online at monster transmissions.

I have a stroked 5.9 with the 46RE. The toughest part is getting it on a dyno to find your torque curve, and then having to replace your torque converter because you got the wrong stall speed. I estimated at 2300-2500rpm, and was pretty close to perfect for my engine build.

OP
OP
L

LeftLaneGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah I'm still unsure where has a Dyno and that isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg. Yes it'll be a 400-500hp 5.9 with a turbo putting out 100hp.

OP
OP
L

LeftLaneGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is monster transmission a good option? I've heard mixed reviews

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
I don’t have personal experience with monster, just an example. Here’s another: https://shiftritetransmissions.com/product-category/transmissions/46re/

Mine was rebuilt at a local shop with master rebuild kit, HD valvebody, and a transgo shift kit. About $1000, but mine was in pretty good shape. Also, I pull 375lbs tq at the wheels, so thats in the 400s at the crank. You’d need to upgrade more components likely.

Torque and rpms are more important to know than peak hp when dialing in transmissions and torque converters.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
The 46re is good. No issues with the pump. Unless of course it ran extremely hot. Some items that need a look and swap. 6 pin and all steel gears. Billet shafts. 3.93 axle gears minimum. Raybesto clutches. Not the red eagle. NO separate TRANS FILTER. Big new od spring. Custom torque converter. And all new billet pistons. Last, get the upgrade billet pressure sensor. You want at least 85psi. Stall speed is based on top end. The Cam. You’ll be a bit under advertised rpm due to small block. So, 580 lift. Get LSA at 114. Makes zip difference for 600hp and you need brake vacuum. The new trick flow heads will get you that plus ported and better lifter/valve train durability. Your limited on intakes. M1 is the best option. Or, just get with John at Southeast performance. Southeastperformance.net. Will get you there and absolutely professional.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
And, just use a billet TC from Hughes Performance. There is a difference. You can do the work and I actually like trans work over engines. GPZ clutches grab nice. Run cooler too. A performance trans runs about $4500. Just the upgrade to a billet inter.shaft is $900 and a billet drum with piston can be $600. It’s not the hp but torque and what type of racing. Heat is another issue. There are some great tips. I’ve been blowing up 46re’s like like a shuttle. If you do them right they are strong.