4wd ? less stress from spindles or coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
So im going nuts trying to figure out how I want to lower my '12 reg cab 4wd.
Im trying to weigh the odds of lowered front springs or McGaughys 2" lowering spindles. (all together im planning 2/4)
**if the spindles are a reliable choice I may do the Entire mcgaughys Deluxe kit**

Im trying to picture the angles but I need help. Which would put less stress on parts such as cv joints and ball joints.

w/ the crude images in my head (and my crayon and paper drawings:)
,the center line of the CV joint seems like it would be affected the same amnt no matter which method was used. no?

Thanks, Jeff

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
As someone who has done both the spindle and spring drop on a 4th gen 4wd I'll chime in. If you're only looking at a 2/4 drop then stick with the springs, they don't affect the CV angles at all, or VERY minimally, as the lower control arm doesn't move in relation to the CV; with just the springs you're only lowering the sprung mass. The spindles move the CV's mounting location higher in relation to the lower control arm, and this will stress the inner joint, and in my case destroyed it after about 500ft.

I would order the front coilover springs from GroundForce and then use the rear Mc'G's springs as they're much cheaper. Though, with my QC the 2wd McG springs brought it down 6" since the 2wd is already 2-3" lower in the rear compared to the 4wd.

With the GF springs and McG's spindles up front coupled with just the 2wd rear drop springs I'm sitting 4/6. At this point you need to spend the money to get everything lined up properly by tackling the inner CVs and upper ball joints. I used the Kore inner CVs and the Michigan Metalworks upper control arms. I just had my alignment done and my tech was trying to give me hell saying it can't be done since the caster angle will never move back to spec, which is fine since I want a positive caster for better high speed handling, even if it's at the expense of low speed maneuvering. The MMW upper control arms run a uniball joint as oppose to a ball joint, so have more flexibility, however, I'm still running a negative camber. I may change to an adjustable upper control arm in the future if I go through tires too quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
charonblk07 ,
I did read up on your lowering mods a couple weeks ago and man, you are in it deep:)

I do have to wonder if it was the spindles that caused the cv failure or the fact that you combined the drop springs w/ spindles? Since you doubled the front drop, Im thinking that was just way to much angle for the stock cv's
I may be totally wrong but I do think that the drop springs also raise the angle of the cv joint. The Top end of the front spring cant move in relation to the truck, so by putting in a shorter spring, it will cause the lower control arm to raise (which raises the center line of the spindle, effectively lowering the truck).

Like I said, I may be wrong since I have been before :)

I REALLY REALLY want to hear from someone that is running only the mcGaughy's 2/4 Deluxe kit w/ the drop spindles on there 4wd , PLEASE.

Im leaning towards that direction, but it concerns me they only list it as a 2wd kit. You would think if it also fit 4wd, They would definitely market it that way. Instead, if you call and ask them, they will say its not known to fit :-(

Jeff

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
My CV issues are definitely caused by the combination of the springs and spindles, I have no doubt about that. The springs didn't affect the CV angles nearly as much as the spindles did though. The stock inner CVs can handle 15 degrees of movement, and you'll move the hub center line up about 1" which will equal about 5 degrees, allowing you to retain the 10 degrees of movement. The spindles move the hub centerline vertically 1.75" which is about 9-10 degrees, giving you only 5 degrees of movement before binding. As I specified in my description I was comparing the CV height to the lower control arm.

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
see, that's why I have to ask these questions :)
the way I see/saw it, a 2" drop is going to raise the hub centerline 2"s whether it be by spring or by spindle.

please don't take this as me questioning you, I just like to beat the hell out of my questions ;-)

jeff

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
wow, I just got an email from ground force.
I asked about just buying there 2" front coils?

there reply was they normally don't break up a kit but would for $325!

that made that decision easy :-(

jeff

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can lower a 4wd with the McGaughy's spindle kit. It does put more angle on the upper ball joint and you may have CV joint issues. I have issues, but that may be becuase I'm also running the 2" GF drop springs.

2013-08-09090455_zpsb64212b0.jpg

2013-08-09090542_zps4db74d8c.jpg[/QUOTE

charonblk,
Im still going nuts looking into this :)
Ive been studying this pic for a little while and Id love to see the same pic but w/ the weight of the truck pushing the suspension up to normal ride height. That ball joint is at full tilt because the suspension is off the ground, right?
w/ the weight of the truck the a-arms would swing up and level off somewhat.

Later, jeff

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK,
Ive done it!!!!!!!!!!!
I just ordered the deluxe 2/4 kit from mcgaughy's. Im excited, but at the same time nervous as hell that it wont work and then im going to be out a but load of $.
well worst case scenario, there will be a set of lowering spindles up for sale here, LOL.
Im going to try and tackle this over the week of Christmas so I promise Ill report back ;-)

jeff

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
subbed, in thinking of doing the same but I felt like the most I could go was 1" in the front using the stock 2wd spindle.

i hope to see that it all holds up for ya!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Turblown03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did a custom 2/4 drop on my 2012 4x4 crew. Turned out awesome and rides sweet too.. I'm going to do a write up on it in the forum.

jcs64,
I know what you mean about Groundforce and McGy's splitting up kits! Groundforce never called me back and McGy's straight up told me "we're not allowed to sell you just rear 4" kit"!

So I bought the complete 2/4 2wd #44052 kit and only used the rear, so now I have brand new 2wd 2" front coils to sell! lol

I lowered the front with Bilsteins 2" and it rides just as good or better then before.

I'm curious to see if the spindle fits your 4x4 also, everything I saw said 2wd on the spindle drop.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lowered the front with bilsteins?? im intrigued - you must tell me more

Turblown03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lowered the front with bilsteins?? im intrigued - you must tell me more

LOL, i'm writing the thread now.. I don't want to highjack this thread but it'll be up in a sec.. a lot of typing! It'll say "Custom 2/4 drop 2012 4x4 Crew"

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
awesome

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
turblow, I cant wait to see the write up.

did you get an alignment done yet?

I would love to see a pic of your cv joints angle w/ the weight of the truck on the ground (as it sits on all 4 tires).
say the point of view from a raccoon just as it passes under your front bumper :)

jeff

Turblown03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, here it is. Sorry if any of it is confusing, if so just tell me and I'll tell you what I meant. Lol, as for the CV angle, Like I mentioned about Groundforce, they sell just the 2" coils in the front and they say the angle is ok. Guess we'll see. I will try and get some pics of the angles when it stops snowing and I can clean it up.

I was going to have a buddy check the alignment today but he was too busy.

Check it out.
http://www.ramforum.com/f39/custom_bilstein_2_4_drop_2012_4x4_crew-41411/#post670191