4WD Lock or 4WD Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK so I was talking to a friend of mine, he has a 2011 sport and he says that he def has a 44-44 case he looked when he did his tcase oil change. Now he say that in 4 lock it binds and doesn't steer well. So I don't think the issue of not being locked is the tcase but something else. What do u guys think? Front. Axle disconnect maybe?

The case went into the trucks late 2012 so for a 2011 to have it is impossible.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have mine in 4 auto and set the cruise at 70 last winter and had no issues.

That's about the speed I've taken mine, my manual does not say if there is a max speed for Auto or 4High...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds right to me.
I would have mine in 4 auto and set the cruise at 70 last winter and had no issues.
Same here have went faster in auto and lock with no issues again since thread is confusing I have older version but I don't think it matters too much on highway.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
From what I understand this is a 13+ tcase only. The 09-12s had the NV246 tcase which does lock/bind so that makes sense on his 11.

Is there a tag on it specifically saying its a 44-44? Mine has a tag right on it that says "Borgwarner 44-44 Torque On-Demand".

Yes exactly he told me there was 0 doubt he saw the tag said Borg warner 44-44. He said yesterday he tried it for me because I asked. For him in 4 lock it binds right up.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes exactly he told me there was 0 doubt he saw the tag said Borg warner 44-44. He said yesterday he tried it for me because I asked. For him in 4 lock it binds right up.

I don't mean to sound like a **** but you are litterally the only one who has posted that your acts like a normal transfer case.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't mean to sound like a **** but you are litterally the only one who has posted that your acts like a normal transfer case.

I never said mine binds up, clearly it does not. What I said was that when testing front and back spin together. When I pull forward up to a parkland median for example front and rear break loose together.

It's doest not bind like a normal tcase therfore it's not "normal". No offense taken btw I can't help what what I'm experiencing,and I actually would like it to bind up proper. I'm only suggesting that us not the tcase that the issue but something else either programming or something like the front axle disconnect. I'd like to find a work around for it.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

I guess I'll have to crawl under there and take a picture for u then... not. I really don't care if u don't believe it, it make no difference to me.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Here I guess your right it's impossible

Attachments

• IMG_20150103_205701.jpg
    IMG_20150103_205701.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 114

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If this is the case the engineer in charge of the design of the 4x4 system flat out lied to me.

I guess so then cuz it's obviously available to buy and I trust my friend, he has had a truck with the nv246 and is a journeyman mechanic like myself. He swore to me like saw it with his own eyes and had to buy the oil for the 44-44 which is different from the oil in the nv246. I know there's an issue with the system I'm just trying to find where the issue is then we can figure out a solution.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 doesn't make sense since I posted a link to a thread from 2011 with guys complaining about it already. Scroll back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well at the stealership now, they claimed in 4 lock and low it should lock and stay locked so made an appointment, i sure once they investigate enough ill get the "thats how it was designed" but figured its their dime they are wasting so what the heck, ill post the results afterwards

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's exactly what they said to me. At first it was "oh yeah there's something definitely wrong" and then after they had it for a day they said "it works perfectly as designed".

At least this way its documented that your brought it in. Let us know what they say.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far i went for ride with mechanic as he was scared to really try it to duplicate, it was hard since they already did snow removal but i through it in low and parked against a snow bank and he noticed it, his comment was something along the lines of i wonder if the clutch plates are out of spec

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I guess so then cuz it's obviously available to buy and I trust my friend, he has had a truck with the nv246 and is a journeyman mechanic like myself. He swore to me like saw it with his own eyes and had to buy the oil for the 44-44 which is different from the oil in the nv246. I know there's an issue with the system I'm just trying to find where the issue is then we can figure out a solution.
Is your friend also in Canada maybe that is why the year in which they made the switch is different???

Last edited:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far i went for ride with mechanic as he was scared to really try it to duplicate, it was hard since they already did snow removal but i through it in low and parked against a snow bank and he noticed it, his comment was something along the lines of i wonder if the clutch plates are out of spec

Well they have a transfer case on order, its backordered with about 20 more ordered ahead of it according to their computer lol, ill be sure to test it the day i get it replaced too lol, fyi my truck has 41000kms on it

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Woah, whole new transfer case... interesting...